Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-08, 10:27 AM   #1
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Politcal Correctness!!!

Do you guys get tired of it. Do guys think that people are to uptight these days. Do you think they get there panties in a wad to easily. May be the goverment should give everybody a fishing pole. Make it mandatory by law to go relieve some stress with aliitle fishing. OK i am overdoing it a bit. But don't you think these day's of politcal correctness is going over board. Here are my priorities. 1. God, 2.Faimily, 3.Fishing. I give up on politics & crazyness of this world. If somthing in my life does'nt connect with 1 of these 3 area'a of my life. I won't be apart of it. It may be alittle isolating to some. But i just want to stay focoused on these things. I am tired of wars we did'nt ask for, high taxes, & ETC. I refuse as a fishermen to get sucked in these other area's no longer. The world can do what it wants as for me it's God,Family& Fish'n
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 03:12 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

No question. "You can't say this. You can't say that". Horse crap. Political Correctness is defined as the wussification of this country where we walk around on eggshells fearing we will "offend" someone and hurt their poor widdle feelings. Freedom of Speech means just that. Someone gets offended? Too freaking bad. Remember that old addage about Sticks and Stones.

Too many stupid terms. "Piscatorically challenged"? Try "you got skunked".
Old 03-13-08, 07:51 PM   #3
Buckeyefishing
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Amen

I'm with you brother! You've got your priorities in order. I'm not sure I want all those idiots on the lake even though it would do wonders for them. GOOD FISHING TO YOU!

BF
Buckeyefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 09:14 PM   #4
bamabassman

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 09:42 AM   #5
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Here is an experiment. See if it stays up.

N I G G E R

Ah political correctness.

It's only bad to say that if you're white.I hate the double standards.

Another thing i don't understand is the label African American.If you were born and raised here don't that make you just an American.No one refers to me as an Italian American...just White.
Actress Charlize Theron was born and raised in Africa.Now she is a citizen of the United States. Does that make her African American?

I'm so confused!

Last edited by Whup; 03-14-08 at 11:35 AM.
Whup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 11:29 AM   #6
brushhog

Default W

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Here is an experiment. See if it stays up.

Ah political correctness.
WTL - Brevity is the soul of wit, and once again your ascerbic wit cuts directly to the issue...

Now, as a Libertarian, do you believe that you are the absolute owner of your life and action? Meaning, to my understanding, you are free to do with your property and body whatever you deem acceptable as long as you don't inhibit anyone else from those same freedoms.

If that is sort of a definition of where you are coming from, the question becomes, is that word so offensive that it infringes on someones ability to exercise there freedoms?

I submit this analogy - If I'm at the local diner with my family and two guys in the next booth are using excessive vulgarity does that infringe on my right to enjoy a meal with my family?

What do you think?
Old 03-14-08, 12:51 PM   #7
ROBZILLA

Ah you guys are all HONKIES!

If I were eating dinner with my family and those guys were mouthing off, there would be some swift azz kicking going on! thats just me though.
Old 03-14-08, 01:54 PM   #8
Whup
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZILLA View Post
Ah you guys are all HONKIES!
I'm offended
Whup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 03:38 PM   #9
bcklash

I'm not a honkie -- I'm a HOKIE.
Old 03-14-08, 04:44 PM   #10
WTL

Where did my post go?

What did I say?

Just kidding Kev, I understand. Even though it was directed at no one, the word should not be said because...well...it can't be said. Yea. Right. Thats our society in a nutshell.

Brushhog, thats a great question. Allow me to reflect on it a few hours, I just got off work and I just got a outboard for the boat...the boat comes before political philosophy.
Old 03-14-08, 06:18 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
I'm not a honkie -- I'm a HOKIE.
My second favorite school!
Old 03-15-08, 01:49 AM   #12
ROBZILLA

Ya "but" honkie is still up there double standard? got you there!
Old 03-16-08, 12:50 AM   #13
WTL

Brushog,
I still want to think some more about certain implications with your question, but you did ask

Quote:
If I'm at the local diner with my family and two guys in the next booth are using excessive vulgarity does that infringe on my right to enjoy a meal with my family?
Now as it pertains to rights, we are talking about vulgarity in a privatly owned eating establishment. As such, it is the owner of said establishment who has the right and authority to moniter what is said and not a government. Of course if they allow such vulgarity to go unchecked, they cause harm to their reputation as a family friendly type place, but that is the business of the owner and not the government.

In addition to this, where is it stated that one has a right to enjoy a meal with their family without witnessing some vulgar act happening in the background? While society has dictated certain ground rules for public behavoir (gotta wear clothes, no sex in public) when these rules are violated I am not sure that some abstract right of the innocent people in the area have been violated, but merely a local ordinance and social understanding.

I do, as was supposed, believe that I am the owner of my life and responsible for my actions. The government has under a social contract the authority and mandate to protect my rights from others.
Old 03-16-08, 01:43 AM   #14
MississippiBoy

Ok, I'm gonna jump in on this one. Lord help me...

WTL, while the swearing patrons of said restaurant may not be in violation of any particular law or statute, they are violating the mores of our society. Please forgive a "copy and paste" here:

Mores are norms or customs, and derive from the established practices of a society rather than its written laws. They consist of shared understandings about the kinds of behaviour likely to evoke approval, disapproval, toleration or sanction, within particular contexts.

Every society has mores, although they vary wildly from place to place. Think of the difference between common behaviors in your typical American family, and a family in, say, Ethiopia or other third-world countries. We do share some of the same laws, such as no killing, stealing, etc (although in some societies, the killing of members of another tribe is expected of any man who calls himself one...never mind...moving on). But the mores are completely different. It's not illegal to cheat on your spouse, but it's viewed very differently here versus many other countries.

Man, this turned into a longer post than I intended, but I ain't done.

There are many bad things that a person could do that are not "illegal," but would still be seen by others has immoral or reprehensible. Going back to brushhog's post, if I believe I have the right to do whatever I wish with my body/person, then I also believe I have the right to not do to my body/person whatever I wish. So if I don't want to hear the swearing, I feel that those people are infringing on my basic freedom.

Now the question becomes, if I tell them to stop swearing, am I infringing upon them? I could move to a different table or leave the restaurant, but that might infringe upon me, again. It curls back on itself like a snake eating its tail. The best way to resolve it, I suppose, is to apply the mores of society. In general, those mores say that loud swearing is accepted in certain places, such as bars, one's own home, bike rallys, etc, but not out in public for the whole restaurant to hear.

Ok, it's late and I'm going to bed. Live long and prosper.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 01:56 AM   #15
WTL

Right quickly, I want to differentiate between mores and rights. Mores are nothing more than preferences. Rights are those basic tenents that make government even necessary.

While I agree that vulgarity is a bad thing, the government does not exist to prevent the F word from ever being uttered in public. It exists to make sure I have life, liberty and property. It exists to ensure that I have the right to pursue my own happiness. It is not a perfect entity, but a very basic contractual one that covers the important things. Not hearing profanity, while desirable, isn't important when you look at the big picture.

We'll talk again in the morn. I' just finished watching the Searchers on TV, which means I've gone through about a case of beer as well. Toodles.
Old 03-16-08, 02:03 AM   #16
WTL

Quote:
Going back to brushhog's post, if I believe I have the right to do whatever I wish with my body/person, then I also believe I have the right to not do to my body/person whatever I wish. So if I don't want to hear the swearing, I feel that those people are infringing on my basic freedom.
You have the right to do whatever you wish with your person that does not infringe on others rights. Its does follow that you then have the right to not do with your body or person what you wish. But it does not follow from there, that if others swear in close proximity to you, that they are infringing on either your right to do as you wish or not as you wish. They are violating your preferences, not your rights. If violating your preferences were the deciding factor in calling in the government storm troopers, there really would be no end to what preferences some people claim.

Actually, that has begun already to a point.
Old 03-16-08, 01:10 PM   #17
brushhog

WTL and M-boy those were great posts, I enjoyed reading them! A quick question - are the only rights a man is guaranteed the ones that are found in the Constitution?

I believe that the conundrum we run into here is that under our current definition of rights and responsibilities, we have to rely on the self-regulation of all involved... The issue then becomes mores and morals can differ from person to person and situation to situation; not just culture to culture..

I'm not going to walk down Main St. spouting racial slurs, because my parents didn't raise me to, it's not a matter of politics at all... Others weren't raised as such...

In fact, why is called political correctness? would it be so vilified if it was called social correctness... M-boy differentiated between places where swearing is acceptable and unacceptable - Would social correctness more closely reflect what we desire?

It really doesn't matter to me if someone wants to be called African American or black, I'll call them whatever they prefer. I liken it to a friend named Richard who prefers to be called Rich instead of Dick...

I guess I have to agree that while words can be offensive they probably don't infringe on rights.... What if the same guys in the diner start throwing french fries?...

I have more to say on this but my 7 year old is asking me to play Wii boxing with her!!!! I'll be back...

WTL and M-boy those were great posts, I enjoyed reading them!
Old 03-16-08, 11:19 PM   #18
bamabassman

well brush, i have a problem with "afican american". sorry, just my preference. here is why. i am an AMERICAN, plain and simple.i am proud of my heritage too. my ancestors are from england, franch, ireland, and NATIVE AMERICAN. i am sorry about the slavery, it was bad for us to do. but it is STILL going on. has been since the beginning of time. it will continue to go on. until the end of time. now saying that i feel that if you were born in america, raised in america, then you are an AMERICAN. end of story. be proud of your heritage. but do not use it as if you aren't from here. to me "african american" is telling me you are from another country or something. i owe you nothing, i work just like you fellow american. and i pay taxes like each and every hard working, middle class american here. i don't go around flaunting my ancestry. so don't do it to me. so what if you're of "african" desent. to be honest about it, the native americans have been, and STILL are discrimnated against. i can't stand some people who are always telling me what "i" should give them. and by "i", they mean the "white man". it gets under my skin soo bad. i can't even think straight now. uuuuuuggggggghhhhhhh.
Old 03-16-08, 11:20 PM   #19
bamabassman

i know... that really had nothing to do with "political correctness". just forgive me folks.
Old 03-16-08, 11:27 PM   #20
Rebbasser

Bama, the Duke said it best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbOIg...eature=related
Old 03-18-08, 10:11 PM   #21
bamabassman

AMEN REB!! AMEN!! that is exactly what i mean. the Duke is one of my real heros. behind my father (god), his son (jesus), dad and mom, and well you get the idea. but mr john wayne is one of my heros. loved the man.
Old 03-19-08, 09:43 AM   #22
Lilmoosecountry

Well PILGRIM!!! I suggest you go "Bass Fish".
Old 03-19-08, 06:00 PM   #23
bamabassman

want to moose. if it'll ever stop raining, or being too cold, or too windy. darn it!! man spring is being like christmas this year. guess it is because i am officaily ready now. got everything set to go. so mother nature is gonna play games with me, lmao. that is alright mother nature. i waited this long, i can wait a little longer, hahaha.
Old 03-20-08, 09:27 AM   #24
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
want to moose. if it'll ever stop raining, or being too cold, or too windy. darn it!! man spring is being like christmas this year. guess it is because i am officaily ready now. got everything set to go. so mother nature is gonna play games with me, lmao. that is alright mother nature. i waited this long, i can wait a little longer, hahaha.
then just go bama. Maybe you will get skunked. But that's more fun try'N then just setting on are ARSSES & talking about fishing. I fish with a 20.00 camo wally world rainsuit. I'm fishing a flooded body of water that's bigger than anything down south except may the ocean. Somdays i'm catching fish some i'm not. But i am getting out. JUST GO 4 IT!!!
Old 03-20-08, 09:18 PM   #25
bamabassman

going to moose. saturday i am going fishing. sunday is easter and gotta see the parents, tradition. and i haven't seen mom and pop in a few weeks. but saturday, ..... full moon....... HAVETA TRY !!! good luck and please be careful in them flood waters my friend.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.