Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-09, 06:48 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default New rod?

Hey, guys! I'm looking to get a new rod/reel But before I get a new reel, I wanna get a new rod for the reel I have now! The one I have now (berkly lighting rod) is really a pain for me, it's got to much weight in the tip, and not enough in the butt; The balance is messed up!

Anyways! I've got a price range 30-85$ but will go to 100 if I'm convinced that it's a really, really, really good rod. Right now I'll thinking I'm gonna get a BPS bionic blade! It'll be any everything rod, but I fish allot of worms, frogs, and spinnerbaits. I'd also like to get a split grip if I can!

So, what's your favorite rod in that price range?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-30-09 at 07:39 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 07:20 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hey dude first of all, you kind of contradicted yourself when you said its top heavy in the back but not heavy enough butt. Anyways I'd stay away from bps rods I think they're tip heavy. Go with shimano compre .

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 04-30-09 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Typing on BlackBerry, lol
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 07:22 PM   #3
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

As a lot of you know, I just recently rediscovered fishin last year after 9 years away (no, I wasn't in prison)
I recently bought a Fenwick Iron Hawk at Gander for 60 bucks. Only used it a couple times, but so far it seems like one awesome rod.
If you don't have a Gander nearby, it's apparently Gander's version of another fenwick. Zooker knows the name I believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Hey dude first of all, you kind of contradicted yourself when you said its top heavy in the back but not heavy enough butt. Anyways I'd stay away Deon bps rods I think they're tip heavy. Go with shimano compre . BB

I totally missed that! I got no game tonight.
Probably used it all up on another board arguing how terrible the Lions did on draft day.
Old 04-30-09, 07:33 PM   #4
bamabassman

bassboss, i use the lighting rods, cherrywood rods and the ABU tourny rods and get them all from wally world. i don't think they are heavy or not balanced right. just my opion pal. i will say that they ain't the greatest in FEELING. it is hard to feel alot of hits with any of these rods. and on what i would reconmend.... mallen hit is on the nails heads in my opion. FENWICK is the rod i am going to go to. around $100 bucks TOPS. went to woods and water in the land god lives in (tuscaloosa, al),lol, and handled a fenwick. man i love the way it feels. slightly whipped it a tad.....and felt each wave of wind i created. handle fet like a glove to me. love it. gonna get em for every reel i own, one day. just my 2 cents worth.

but i do like the rods that i have as i mentioned. jsut want the fenwicks.
Old 04-30-09, 07:42 PM   #5
Bassboss

Thanks guys! That was fast! I'll check out the compre!

BB, I fixed the problem!

btw, anyone used the AiRRUS Co-MATRiX 457, It's under 100, and got a 9.08 + Editor's Choice! on tackle tour!

Looks like a good rod!

Last edited by Bassboss; 04-30-09 at 08:26 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 09:23 PM   #6
mikeypen
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Great rod

Try the St Croix MOJO just got one. Its nice.
mikeypen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 10:27 PM   #7
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

ship the lightning rod to SC
Old 04-30-09, 10:30 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Hey man, I'd also look into the Falcon LowRider, or the Kistler somethin or other (forgot the name of the rod in that price range) Or look around on line for a used better rod. by dad picked up a G.Loomis for 100 bucks plus shipping online. It was a 255 dollar rod too. used like 2-3 times and has one itty bitty scratch.

BB
Old 04-30-09, 10:32 PM   #9
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bassboss...i have an abu garcia ambassoudour(sp.) 6'6" MH rod that i love...it is awesome....heavy enough to throw a frog with, but sensitive enough to feel the slightest tick when throwing a T-rig....and on the plus side it is only like 45$
Old 04-30-09, 11:27 PM   #10
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The new Bassmaster has an article on the best rods for under $70. It's a worthwhile read. They picked the Shimano Clarus as #1 for the price, but the Femwick Eagle GT is a great rod for the price, too. If you are having a problem with a rod being tip heavy, you can fix that with a little thing called the Balancer, It only costs $8. I have a flippin stick that is a little tip heavy and I use one. It solved the problem and I didn't have to buy another rod.
Old 05-01-09, 02:02 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

if the split grip is a must then i say +1 for the st. croix mojo. if not then do yourself a favor and look at falcon. the original is a great rod for under $100 and the fc-5-17 is a great all purpose rod. i use my 5-17 mostly for finesse jigs, t-rigged plastics, and spinnerbaits.

also like the doc said you can add the balancer to your rod and get rid of the weight issue. you can also the the rubber caps that go on the legs of chairs, fill it with metal flat washers or quarters and then slide it over the handle of the rod and tape it on the grip. i did this to my flippin stick because it had way too much weight at the tip, now it feels as light as a 7' jig rod and i can flip and pitch all day and not get tired. i added a rod wrap to the handle when i was finished and now you can't even tell i added the weight by looking.
Old 05-01-09, 03:55 AM   #12
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i have a st croix triumph and i love it. paid 70 bucks for it a gander mt. its a good rod light weight and balanced well. the best advice is to go to a store with your reel and try different rods to see witch on feel best to YOU. my friend fishes with a heavy action cheap shakespear rod for everything and he loves it. it really is all what you like. i'm not saying his choice is the best for everything just that its what he likes.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 05:48 AM   #13
dodgeguy

all casting rods are tip heavy and need to be balanced.
Old 05-01-09, 06:39 AM   #14
BigBassin144

I'd have to disagree with you there dodgeguy. While most in the 100 dollar price range are, not all are. Anyways, a balancer is a good idea. I thing I'm going to add one to my flippin stick this spring. Maybe to my musky rod as well, talk about tip heavy.

BB
Old 05-01-09, 07:01 AM   #15
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin spro View Post
bassboss...i have an abu garcia ambassoudour(sp.) 6'6" MH rod that i love...it is awesome....heavy enough to throw a frog with, but sensitive enough to feel the slightest tick when throwing a T-rig....and on the plus side it is only like 45$

my best friend and i have been through 4 cherrywood rods and he bought the same abu rod MH and he hasnt had a problem since
Old 05-01-09, 07:38 AM   #16
Bassboss

Thanks for help guys! I plan to gander when I get the money! btw, that was a GREAT idea about bringing my reel with me! Once I found a good one, I'll get it for cheep online!

I just hope they don't kick me out, once I wore a BPS shirt and hat, I got almost kicked out, along with a BUNCH one employees asking if I wanted to trade it for a gander hat!

Photog, I'll think about it!
Old 05-01-09, 10:49 AM   #17
Bender

I'll add another vote for the Mojo rods in the $100 range and a strong vote for the Clarus in the $70 range. Best thing about the Clarus is most places offer the "over the counter" exchange if something happens to it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 10:58 AM   #18
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'll add another vote for the Mojo rods in the $100 range and a strong vote for the Clarus in the $70 range. Best thing about the Clarus is most places offer the "over the counter" exchange if something happens to it.
Cool! I'll definitely check that one out!

You man like if it breaks, or you don't like it, than you can exchange it for an other rod in the same price range?
Old 05-01-09, 01:37 PM   #19
BigBassin144

If get it from a place that concentrates on customer service (like Cabelas or BPS) all you gotta do is get mad or threaten to talk to someone higher up and they'll give ya what you want.

BB
Old 05-01-09, 02:04 PM   #20
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
If get it from a place that concentrates on customer service (like Cabelas or BPS) all you gotta do is get mad or threaten to talk to someone higher up and they'll give ya what you want.

BB
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... What if I wanted a 300.00$ rod for 10$, would I get that? .......

Thanks for the tip BB!
Old 05-01-09, 02:22 PM   #21
fishin spro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
my best friend and i have been through 4 cherrywood rods and he bought the same abu rod MH and he hasnt had a problem since
if u went through that many rods, i would say its probably not the rods fault...u are probably accidentaly stepping on them, setting something on them, hitting them on something, or doing SOMETHING to put a weak spot in it...which causes it to break later.
Old 05-01-09, 02:56 PM   #22
jcw1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post

Yeah, are you sure you are not doing anything extra to them. Me and some of my fishing partners have cherrywoods for years and never had a problem with them. Maybe, you are just more careful with the more expensive rod.
Old 05-01-09, 03:35 PM   #23
islandbass

The clarus is fine but if you can, go with the compre. I have one of both and a crucial to boot. Sensitivity is adequate even in the Clarus for soft plastics and jigs, but I can detect the increase from clarus to compre and compre to crucial. It's there. Great values at those price points. The mojo certainly looks sweet, but if I am not mistaken the warranty is finite. The longer the rod, the greater chance for it being tip heavy out of the gate. Tip heavy tip schmeavy. No weight weenie here.
Old 05-01-09, 06:46 PM   #24
BassinID

Before you go and spend a bunch, try modifying the berkley lightning rod by putting some lead tape near the but. I feel that the lightning is a pretty decant rod for the price. I am guessing that its a flipping or pitching rod that you are having the problem with??
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 10:07 PM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
Before you go and spend a bunch, try modifying the berkley lightning rod by putting some lead tape near the but. I feel that the lightning is a pretty decant rod for the price. I am guessing that its a flipping or pitching rod that you are having the problem with??
Maybe!?

Hey guys! I just got back from gander, the only rod I could find that you guys mentioned was the MOJO...... all I can say is WOW!! talk about light and well balanced! They only two complaints I have is that it's got a purple-ish hue to it, and the rod about and inch to short, other than that, it's great from the feel of it!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.