Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-09, 10:05 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Perfect spots but no fish, you ever???

Have to share this. No doubt many others in here can relate. There is a lake nearby I have fished for years. On this lake there are three spots I hit every time I go because they are so "perfect". Bass just have to be there. Location #1 is a small bay near a deep dropoff. The small bay is about 3-5 feet deep with some lilly pads. Along the back side of this bay is a small depression that drops down a couple feet deeper. The depression is about 15 foot wide and reaches from shore outward about 8 foot. It's got overhanging branches that keep it shaded and a small ditch connecting another nearby lake empties into this lake nearby. I have never ever even so much as got a strike from this spot no matter what type of approach I use.
Spots 2 and 3 are also very attractive spots. Both are the same. Shaded by large trees along the bank, numerous laydowns, lilly pads and cabage weed mix throughout these two spots. The shoreline is sandy, and it drops off fairly quickly. About 20 yards from shore it's about 10 foot deep. Nearby is deeper water with nice cabage weeds. I have hit spots 2 & 3 numerous times, at all times of the day. Flippin jigs, working a Senko bait, surface lures, spinnerbaits, you name it. Over the years I've done it all in all three of these spots and never ever caught a fish from either location. However I have caught many fish from this lake in other locations which you would not expect. Such as the east basin which is basically just a large shallow section of a bowl portion of the lake with no drop offs or any other great structure. Just a gradual tapering off into deeper water about 200 yards from shore. Situations like this that go against the rules so to speak drive me crazy when I encounter them. It's mystifying to me.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 10:12 AM   #2
nofearengineer

Yeah...you have to remember that each body of water, and the group of fish in it, are different from all others. I have to sort of wonder about the whole "species" concept when it comes to landlocked fish. Largemouth bass in one lake may technically be the same species as the bass in a nearby lake, but in truth, they will never, ever breed, or even have "six degrees of separation" type of interaction. How long do separate populations have to be apart to start developing distinguishing behavioral traits? While typical fishing tactics will generally work, there are no guarantees.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 10:49 AM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Since those 3 spots are so "perfect," I betcha everybody that fishes that lake and their mama have hit those spots, on a regular basis. They do sound really attractive, so any fisherman that knows even a little about fishing is going to try there. I bet every fish that hangs there has seen and been caught by every lure you can think of, and they've learned their lesson.

Oh, and no, that's never happened to me...
Old 05-12-09, 10:55 AM   #4
keithdog

I'm sure your right about that Mississippi.
Old 05-12-09, 11:08 AM   #5
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Have to share this. No doubt many others in here can relate. There is a lake nearby I have fished for years. On this lake there are three spots I hit every time I go because they are so "perfect". Bass just have to be there. Location #1 is a small bay near a deep dropoff. The small bay is about 3-5 feet deep with some lilly pads. Along the back side of this bay is a small depression that drops down a couple feet deeper. The depression is about 15 foot wide and reaches from shore outward about 8 foot. It's got overhanging branches that keep it shaded and a small ditch connecting another nearby lake empties into this lake nearby. I have never ever even so much as got a strike from this spot no matter what type of approach I use.
Spots 2 and 3 are also very attractive spots. Both are the same. Shaded by large trees along the bank, numerous laydowns, lilly pads and cabage weed mix throughout these two spots. The shoreline is sandy, and it drops off fairly quickly. About 20 yards from shore it's about 10 foot deep. Nearby is deeper water with nice cabage weeds. I have hit spots 2 & 3 numerous times, at all times of the day. Flippin jigs, working a Senko bait, surface lures, spinnerbaits, you name it. Over the years I've done it all in all three of these spots and never ever caught a fish from either location. However I have caught many fish from this lake in other locations which you would not expect. Such as the east basin which is basically just a large shallow section of a bowl portion of the lake with no drop offs or any other great structure. Just a gradual tapering off into deeper water about 200 yards from shore. Situations like this that go against the rules so to speak drive me crazy when I encounter them. It's mystifying to me.
I know exactly how you feel. On our local lunker lake I know of an "off shore" flat bout 3-4 ft deep, gravel bottom, scattered stumps. Next to some very deep water on 3 sides. This spot just has to have a trophy bass. I try and visit it every time I go, but have yet to catch a fish off of it. My son hooked one on a top-water plug last year their that had to go at least 8, but broke him off beside the boat.

That 1 fish is all I've ever had bite there, I never see anyone fishing it, and the big un just HAS to be there.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 02:44 PM   #6
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Where do I begin? That happens to me ALLL the time! I always go to the best looking spots, but never catch anything..but in the most random spots... I do?! it's weird to say the least, but that's the beauty of nature...it's random and unexplainable!

stevomac
Old 05-12-09, 05:18 PM   #7
islandbass

I know exactly what you mean. My problem is that the spot(s) I see that look "perfect" yet yield zero results and the ones I deem "unlikely" visually, produce. Go figure.
Old 05-12-09, 06:55 PM   #8
Jigger

Keith,
Here's my take on it: I think there IS a fish living there. A BIG fish. Could be a bass, a catfish or something else top of the food chain. If it's a bass, I call them non-biters. They typically won't hit an artificial bait if you never get bit. I know places like you describe.

I have a friend that has a big farm pond that's a real bass factory. There's a really killer spot on it like some you describe that I never got bit on. He and I decided to fish some live shad one day. I pulled up on this spot, anchored a good distance away and pitched a shad up against the stump, waited about 10 minutes and caught the biggest bass I've ever taken out of there, about 8 lbs or so. I'm convinced that fish lived there, kept others away and was too careful to take an artificial. Antecdotal, I realize but that's my belief and I'm sticking to it.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 07:28 PM   #9
stevomac59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Keith,
Here's my take on it: I think there IS a fish living there. A BIG fish. Could be a bass, a catfish or something else top of the food chain. If it's a bass, I call them non-biters. They typically won't hit an artificial bait if you never get bit. I know places like you describe.

I have a friend that has a big farm pond that's a real bass factory. There's a really killer spot on it like some you describe that I never got bit on. He and I decided to fish some live shad one day. I pulled up on this spot, anchored a good distance away and pitched a shad up against the stump, waited about 10 minutes and caught the biggest bass I've ever taken out of there, about 8 lbs or so. I'm convinced that fish lived there, kept others away and was too careful to take an artificial. Antecdotal, I realize but that's my belief and I'm sticking to it.
That's could be true. A Big 'ol Bass doesn't get BIG if it were dumb. Smart Big Bass, may occupy the area.
Old 05-12-09, 09:32 PM   #10
bamabassman

every spot i go to just has to have that huge trophy in there. i know it does. but for the life of me and i mean this too. i just can't seem to get it either keith. either i am a little too far to the left with my cast or to the right. cause when i cst to where he SHOULD be, he is on one side or the other. spooks and runs. then i can't get hime from where he/she was at. i leave and come back only to see another boat in the same spot. and yes.... i have seen them catch the very fish i was aiming for. sometimes it is a really nice one, sometimes it is a dink.
Old 05-13-09, 12:39 AM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Since those 3 spots are so "perfect," I betcha everybody that fishes that lake and their mama have hit those spots, on a regular basis. They do sound really attractive, so any fisherman that knows even a little about fishing is going to try there. I bet every fish that hangs there has seen and been caught by every lure you can think of, and they've learned their lesson.

Oh, and no, that's never happened to me...
I thought the same thing, Keith.
Old 05-15-09, 03:29 PM   #12
hookset on 3

KD, I have numerous A+ looking spots that haven't given up a thing. I'm wondering, have you seen any prey around there? Is the water in these spots the accepable ph level and oxygen ppm? Remember when Jimmy and Roland used to measure those elements all the time. Maybe it's sterile!
Old 05-15-09, 09:50 PM   #13
66KingFisher

There is a big ol pine tree laydown in the middle of a feeder creek on this little lake I fish, and its just one of those spots you knows is suppose to hold bass.....i'm always makin sure I position the boat correctly before I start pitchin to it, but i've yet to get a bite on this spot......I don't get it either....lol.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 08:32 AM   #14
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset on 3 View Post
KD, I have numerous A+ looking spots that haven't given up a thing. I'm wondering, have you seen any prey around there? Is the water in these spots the accepable ph level and oxygen ppm? Remember when Jimmy and Roland used to measure those elements all the time. Maybe it's sterile!

Actually yes, I do see prey especially out in front of the small bay in the early moring. I'm sure the ph and oxygen levels are good. It's a very healthy lake. In fact, the state of Indiana has it on a short list of lakes you can eat fish from without limitations.
Old 05-16-09, 02:16 PM   #15
superbass
BassFishin.Com Member

I alway's think it's a human looking spot rather than a fish looking spot.Remember the angle fish see.We see from top down they see bottom up.I think it makes a big difference.
superbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 08:46 PM   #16
Basscrazie

You hit the right day and it will pay off.I fish a 25,000 acre lake and it gets confusing to say the least.I know exactly what you mean though.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 01:16 PM   #17
aikenyounggun

i think it might be every spot has shade and a drop off and fish look for something different..... b/c if a pond is full of standing timber fish are looking for something a little differenct.... like in one pond i fish, if you know where underwater wood cover is you ca catch fish.... b/c there is so little of it......

so that pond might be full of shaded drop-offs so fish go to something different.... just an idea

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.