Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-09, 08:08 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Warm, rain, and wind or cold, wind and sun???

Which weather conditions would you prefer to fish in and why?

Fished a two day on the lake this weekend and we started the day at 71 degrees and then the rain came with the wind on Sat. Today we started at 49 degrees but had blue bird skies and wind. Water temps were in the low 60's.
Old 10-25-09, 10:28 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It seems I have always done my best under overcast skies, mid 70's (both water and air temp), 0-5 mph wind out of the East (pressure falling). Clear stained water.
Old 10-25-09, 11:28 PM   #3
Bender

I'll take just about any condition over the wind. I'm more of a finesse guy and the wind really kills me. I fished Champlain today in 20 MPH sustained winds and it wasn't much fun.
Ideal would be dead calm to just a slight air movement, temp. doesn't matter, and partly cloudy skies.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 08:08 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Rain and cold don't bother me much, cause I've got insulated rain gear. While it does block the wind, I still hate fishing in the wind more than anything.

BB
Old 10-26-09, 11:16 AM   #5
WaffleJaw

Anything but wind...Nothing worse than slinging a lure and watching it have a 6 second hang time,only to fall 10' in front of you......and 15' away from your target.lol
When I read your question,Captain Planet kept popping in my head.
I want an overcast ring!!
Old 10-26-09, 11:35 AM   #6
Abbeysdad

I was gonna say the weather doesn't matter as long as they're biting... then I thought, well...as long as I'm not cold and wet! So, until I'm better equipped to deal with heavy wind (boat wise), extreme cold (long johns) and rain (rain suite)...I'll be armchair fishing those days instead.
Jeez...I guess I'm just a 'fair weather' [wimp] fisherman! lol

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 10-26-09 at 11:48 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 12:09 PM   #7
cassidyta

I prefer a hot day with blue bird skies and some wind
As far as reason:
Most of my lakes are clear with a lot of tall reeds along the edges. In the hot blue bird skies, I am guaranteed a bite if I focus on pitching into the pockets of the reeds. The wind means that the water surface is choppy which helps to minimize any fish being spooked when the bait enters the water.
Old 10-26-09, 03:25 PM   #8
3dkicker

Gusts on Sat were as much as 56 mph.......

Sunday started with little wind and built up to a steady 15 mph or so.
Old 10-26-09, 05:54 PM   #9
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I prefer overcast days over sunny days. The fish aren't as spooky. I've seen the fish come alive with just a little drizzle to break up the surface clarity.

I don't like fishing in the wind, but I still do it because it can help really influence fishing at times, good or bad. Take a cool Fall day with some good sun warming the shallows. The calm side of the lake will warm much faster than the windy side, because the water on the windy side will be all stirred up. Or in the hot Summer, when the wind causes the fish to get active in the shallows on the windy side because cool water is being mixed into the shallows, and the bank is being stirred up causing small invertebrates to be dislodged, which in turn brings the minnows to life.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 09:34 PM   #10
n8sbassin
BassFishin.Com Member

I'll fish in virtually any weather, but I'm definately not a fan of the wind! I'll fish calmer water anytime I can get away with it! Wind can be your friend, its just not mine!
n8sbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 08:00 AM   #11
Bassboss

The former.

But it really depends on how strong of wind...
Old 10-27-09, 03:28 PM   #12
3dkicker

Well here's how things went for me. Sat I made a short run to a small feeder creek that I picked up a couple keepers a week ago. My partner and I fished crankbaits along the bank and he picked up a 2.5 right away. That was basically it for the day. We fished humps, points, coves, back ends of creeks, and everything in between. We also fished some topwater, spinnerbaits, plastics, traps, and crankbaits (shallow and deep). I caught one 12" catfish on a crankbait and missed a short bass on the same bait. I had two hits on a senko under a dock and off a laydown but they were probably bluegill. We fished from where we launched and uplake or cooler water which was around 60 degrees in the upper end of the lake.
On Sunday we started off in the same creek but this time I caught a short fish on topwater. We fished mid-lake area and fished a variety of cover fishing points, docks, drop offs, flats and deep holes by the flats with very little success. We headed down lake and fished clear water and caught another short bass and a couple bluegill. Finally my partner suggested we fish some wind blown rocky points on the south side of the lake that had deep water (20-30'+) next to them. In 45 minutes I put two bass in the boat that weighed 5.2lbs with the big fish at 3.3lbs. Caught both on a Zoom Trick worm, melon red, T-rigged with 3/8 oz tungsten flippin wt. 2 of the 3 points we fished in the last 45 minutes held fish.

Too bad we didn't start the day on that pattern.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.