Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-10, 09:12 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Smallmouth reservoir techniques....

Since finding out that one of the small lakes(300 acres)I fish has smallmouth in it, I plan on targeting them on future trips.....starting tomorrow morning...lol

I've fished for them alot as a young man, but in streams only....Never in a lake.....So other then targeting rocky points and bluffs with downsized crawfish patterned cranks, jigs or plastic grubs, are there any other techniques that you'd recommend I try this time of year?

For what its worth the normally clear water lake is receiving alot of rain tonight, so i'm not sure how this might effect the bass in the morning......Any suggestions?
Old 07-16-10, 10:42 PM   #2
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Drop-Shotting the points, and rock piles, or jerkbaits depending on depth
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 09:13 AM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If there are smallies - then I don't think there's a better bait for them than a tube jig. I've caught smallies on tubes spring, summer, fall and winter!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 09:21 AM   #4
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Dropshot/shakyhead mainlake points.... Rocky flats with deep water close by or humps in the am
Old 07-17-10, 04:19 PM   #5
66KingFisher

I hit the mainlake points with several different crankbaits, as well as a tube and a finesse jig, but I didn't find any smallies this morning.....I also fished some shallow areas and steep banked areas but no smallies.

It was pouring down rain when we arrived at the ramp at aout 5:45 this morning.....I'm sure that had some effect on the fish but I'm not sure what...lol....We had to wait about 20 minutes for the storm to move off before we hit the water......I kind of expected to tear'm up after the heavy rain fall, but that didn't happen. We caught a few fish but no smallies.....I'll try again next time.....Thanks for everyones suggestions.
Old 07-17-10, 09:49 PM   #6
Cavs1123

I would say a tube in green pumpkin
Old 07-18-10, 05:52 AM   #7
tim4081

Don't rule out some traditional LMB techniques. In the past couple of weeks I've caught several smallies using 7" Berkley worms and a couple on chigger craws as well. Good luck.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 01:00 PM   #8
66KingFisher

I wondered if they'd hit a worm or not.......Thats good info.
Old 07-18-10, 06:41 PM   #9
plugsandaxes
BassFishin.Com Member

Some of my best smallies have come on a 6" senko (shad color, I think), 4-5" roboworm finesse in smoke color and double tail hula grubs in oxblood color. All were texas rigged, pegged and unpegged but the senko obviously works great wacky, too, especially for summer pressure. A small, shallow to mid crankbait in natural colors has been working well for me in early morning also...baby 1 minus or fat rap medium diver.
plugsandaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 06:52 AM   #10
Mac2

Slow falling and deadsticking the body of a tail-less watermelon/red zoom speedworm texposed weightless on a 2/0 Gammy or XPS worm hook works well on smallies. If deeper than 15 feet, place a small split shot about two and a half feet up the line. It will fall and then waft down for the last two and a half feet on the fall.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 10:57 AM   #11
Bender

Biggest thing I can suggest is to move around a lot. The dammed up lake that I fished in Michigan several times a week had a lot of smallies and after the spawn there were very hard to find until fall. I'm not saying you can't find them but in spring and fall our ratio was maybe 1:1 SM vs. LM or maybe even more smallies. In the summer it was probably 10:1 LM vs. SM. They sure seem to move around a lot more during the summer from shallow to deep and all over the place.

As far as baits I think everything has been covered. I like tubes or little black jigs (Bitsy Bug type) or hula grub if they are eating on the bottom or a drop shot with a 3" bait works best on other days. Topwater can never be ruled out either.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 12:35 PM   #12
walkeraviator

Tubes and Reaction Innovation Smallie Beaver (its in the name for gods sake)... but locating teh fish is probably 80% of cathin em... if you can find a bank that will hold smallies... LM techniques will usually work... it does on the LBL side of Kentucky Lake...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-10, 12:43 PM   #13
fish_hunter
BassFishin.Com Member

Drop shot with a TroKar TK150 size 1 or 1/0...target near points or bluffs!
Also flippin' is a good technique this time of year. I use the TroKar Flippin hook and never had a problem!
fish_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 06:15 AM   #14
plugsandaxes
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Tubes and Reaction Innovation Smallie Beaver (its in the name for gods sake)... but locating teh fish is probably 80% of cathin em... if you can find a bank that will hold smallies... LM techniques will usually work... it does on the LBL side of Kentucky Lake...
Agreed. Finding them is the real key. Plenty of lures work. Just think of the climate they generally prefer and you'll usually find them, along with walleyes. At least in most of the waters I've fished.

If you're out on the water at 4:30 am they'll generally be roaming in flats feeding, but will retreat to nearby deep water structure (in many cases, rip rap or deep ledges) a bit after first light. exactly when depends on your climate and water temp.

Whatever the case on your waters be sure to keep their needs in mind and follow the fish. G'luck!
plugsandaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 09:24 PM   #15
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

I like to dropshot a 4" berkley gulp minnow on deeper points this time of year for smallies. My favorate color is smelt.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-10, 02:23 PM   #16
Jrok
BassFishin.Com Member

Ive caught all my smallmouth this year on a spinnerbait or a Slurpee worm wacky rigged with no weight and one or two on a rattletrap. If the smallmouth are in there, you'll catch them once you find them.
Jrok is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.