Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 10-14-15, 02:20 AM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default OBX Surf Report

Arrived Saturday and fished every open ramp down to Buxton once crossed the Bonner Bridge. 32, 38 and then back behind the OBX Buxton Motels. A few small sharks and a Chinese flounder. The Motel beach was unfish-able with 8n Bait as it would just roll away and get snagged in the debris from sand bags and old building debris. Amount of fishable beach was also at new low. I am sure it would be excellent on an east wind.
Sunday headed down to Hatteras since the Pointe and the Airport ramps where flooded and closed. Did good down there on a low tide with a some 4 foot sharks and a few smaller ones. Caught a bunch of grey trout all about 10 inches. Had one 5 foot shark drag my new spin rig into the surf but I caught it before it went to Davey Jones Locker. And then the shark made a long run after that, for about a 12 minute fight. As the tide came in, the bite fizzled out.
Monday back to Hatteras and only got one small shark and covered up by fisherman, since the weather was good and sunny the place was mobbed with some not so good fisherman.
Here is a bit of advice from a vet of the surf: If you park with in 30 feet of another fisherman who has staked poles ask him how much sinker is needed to hold. Guy pulls up and casts out with only 4 oz's and his line crosses my lines 4 times as it rolls on down the beach. I just cast over him and dragged his line on the beach and left it there each time I re-baited. I would guess in the three hours he was there his bait was in the water about 20 minutes.
Still it was a gorgeous day to be out on the beach. Pics will be later.

Capt MikeArrived Saturday and fished every open ramp down to Buxton once crossed the Bonner Bridge. 32, 38 and then back behind the OBX Buxton Motels. A few small sharks and a Chinese flounder. The Motel beach was unfish-able with 8n Bait as it would just roll away and get snagged in the debris from sand bags and old building debris. Amount of fishable beach was also at new low. I am sure it would be excellent on an east wind.

Sunday headed down to Hatteras since the Pointe and the Airport ramps where flooded and closed. Did good down there on a low tide with a some 4 foot sharks and a few smaller ones. Caught a bunch of grey trout all about 10 inches. Had one 5 foot shark drag my new spin rig into the surf but I caught it before it went to Davey Jones Locker. And then the shark made a long run after that, for about a 12 minute fight. As the tide came in, the bite fizzled out.

Monday back to Hatteras and only got one small shark and covered up by fisherman, since the weather was good and sunny the place was mobbed with some not so good fisherman.

Here is a bit of advice from a vet of the surf: If you park with in 30 feet of another fisherman who has staked poles ask him how much sinker is needed to hold. Guy pulls up and casts out with only 4 oz's and his line crosses my lines 4 times as it rolls on down the beach. I just cast over him and dragged his line on the beach and left it there each time I re-baited. I would guess in the three hours he was there his bait was in the water about 20 minutes.

Capt Mike

Arrived Saturday and fished every open ramp down to Buxton once crossed the Bonner Bridge. 32, 38 and then back behind the OBX Buxton Motels. A few small sharks and a Chinese flounder. The Motel beach was unfish-able with 8n Bait as it would just roll away and get snagged in the debris from sand bags and old building debris. Amount of fishable beach was also at new low. I am sure it would be excellent on an east wind.

Capt Mike

Capt Mike
Old 10-15-15, 07:39 AM   #2
bassboogieman

You must have been hitting the rum barrel pretty hard Capt. arrrggh.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-15, 08:57 AM   #3
Captmikestarrett

My wife took a bunch of pics and I selected these for the story line.

Arrived alive early Saturday morning to get my permit.

The dredge was working hard on Oregon Inlet to keep it open as we went over the Bonner Bridge.

Small grey trout at ramp 32.

At ramp 38 we found this natural place to hide

And a burning bush

And some nice flowers

But no fish so we checked into our room and I went behind the hotels to what was left on the beach. Lost my rig about four cast later.

Saturday we set up on Hatteras Beach.

Monday we caught nothing but a skate and decided to start drinking early.

This photo was of some pelicans flying away and they almost look like dragon flies. Pretty neat photo.

And we say good bye to OBX as the sun comes up on Tuesday.

Capt Mike
Old 10-15-15, 08:58 AM   #4
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
You must have been hitting the rum barrel pretty hard Capt. arrrggh.
I was having a bit of a malfunction on my mac.
Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.