Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-03-06, 08:19 PM   #1
adirondack
BassFishin.Com Member

Default drop shot hooks

anyone had and any experience with stand out hooks ?.,if so what kind of knot do you reccomend.Was using a polymar,but hook seems to point up to much,although I did get into some smallmouth action, seemed to miss quit a few.
adirondack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 09:09 PM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i don't think you lost them due to the hook "pointing up too much".the palomar is the knot to use,however,after you tie the knot drop the tag end of your line through the hook eye.then put on your weight.
you can even use an offset worm hook.maybe your hook is too small.you anit using one of them tiny hooks ,are you?..go with a 1/0.
this is all coming from someone who rarely uses a drop shot rig.so take it with a grain of salt..........i read a lot..
Old 08-04-06, 08:37 AM   #3
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I consider myself to almost be an expert on the dropshot....I have used these hooks before and they do present the bait nicely but I wouldn't buy those again....only Gamakatsu hooks for me....get the number 1 hook and you want to tie a palomar knot like bassintom said....it will do the same thing as the stand outs....
Some problems with the standouts I found...
1. Hook is too thick for easy penetration....with 4lb line or 6lb you have a greater difficulty of setting the hook IMO.
2. The part of the hook that makes it stand out...opens the fishes mouth more so fish are not hooked as deeply....most are hooked right on the lip but you don't get much flesh...might be your problem.
3. While they do indeed make the bait stand out straight which is really nice they have the section that makes the bait look a bit unatural to me....clear water and dropshotting with a unatural hook don't go together...

I think if you use the Gamas you would like them better
If you are going to be using the bait around brush or deep rocks...get some Owner offset downshot hooks....those are the best I have used for this....
I caught a 8 pounder this winter dropshotting a robo worm in brush on a small lake.....they are also razor sharp......

While we are at it...pick up some line and lure conditioner.....it helps with line twists. After you fish your bait for a while...take the bait off the hook and just throw the hook and weight out a couple of times and reel it in.....this is the best way I have found to get rid of line twists while using this bait.

Weights.....
Pencil for Rock and weeds
Round for sand
Diamond for wood....
don't be afraid to try a lindy sinker that people often carolina rig with for this technique if you are fishing the thich stuff......
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 02:30 PM   #4
PowerBass

Gamakatzu, finnese wide gap, size 2 or 1, or 1/0, give em hell
Old 08-04-06, 07:04 PM   #5
Bender

I have only tried drop shotting a couple times but I have been using the Gammy D.S. hooks in size 1. The first time I caught a 22" pike and the next time a small LM. I have not missed any fish with these hooks so far, but it is only 2 for 2.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 09:38 PM   #6
Fishie1

those hooks are the best....I am not gonna lie.....Aaron Martens fishes them...for those not familiar with the guy he fishes the drop alot and is an expert with it...
Old 08-05-06, 01:30 PM   #7
Raul

How are you setting the hook ? upwards or sweeping the rod to one side ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 04:35 PM   #8
Fishie1

UPWARDS....again this is what Mr. Martens seemed to do on Tv so I started to do it and it workds.
Old 08-05-06, 05:37 PM   #9
PowerBass

i reel up slack, and use a relling set up wards, set it like a normal t rig and kiss the bass good bye. Circle hooks are awesome.
Old 08-05-06, 05:42 PM   #10
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

fishie
ya definatly have this down.-hell i can't belive i am saying it either..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.