Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-02, 10:44 PM   #1
Gordon
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Gordon
Default Bass Tracker Boats

I am thinking about getting a boat the end of this year or first of next and am looking at the Bass Tracker TX 17 foot Pro. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about the Bass Trackers, pro and/or con? Things like how they hold up, how they held in rough water and so on.
Appreciate any info you can provide.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 01:08 AM   #2
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman
Default Re: Bass Tracker Boats

Gary,
I used to have a Tracker TX-17 about ten years ago, and had a blast with it. As long as you don't get on too large of lakes or reservoirs, they are a very nice fishing platform. Where I ran into trouble is when I tried fishing large impoundments like Truman lake in Missouri and Lake Fork in Texas. If there is any wind over 20 mph you would be in trouble in the main lakes. If you are going to stick to smaller lakes, say 15,000 to 20,000 acres, you shouldnt have any trouble except on the windiest of days.
They don't weigh much, so you can pull one with a mid sized or compact vehiclde without too much trouble.
Mine had a 50 hp Mec, and would run all day on 12 gallons of gas. On real calm days, it would plane out at about 35 mph (by spedo)
All in all, they are a modest investment, entry level boat that should serve you well for what it costs.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 07:47 PM   #3
Gordon
BassFishin.Com Member

JackL
Thanks, I've had a 16 foot terry fiberglass bass boat in the past, but now I'm just looking for something to enjoy relaxing everyday type fishing. I’m not into tournaments anymore, but I do want something dependable and useable. My main fishing in this area would be Lake Palestine, Lake Athens, and Jacksonville, and a few others although I would like to fish Lake Fork sometime.
Thanks again
GaryW
Old 09-04-02, 11:14 PM   #4
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

Gary,
My first trip to Fork was what convinced me that I needed something a little larger and more seaworthy than the tracker. March is not the time to have a Tracker on Fork, unless you pack an awful lot of extra clothes and a good rain suit.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-02, 11:45 PM   #5
Gordon
BassFishin.Com Member

JackL
Are you from Texas>? Have you fished Lake Palestine or Richardland Chambers?

Was the tracker able to take the water at Lake Fork, or was it getting swamped? Would a larger motor have made a difference?

Keep Fishing
Gary
Old 10-08-02, 07:47 PM   #6

2001 TRACKER TOURNAMENT V-18 SPECIAL EDITION
This Boat has a 90hp Mercury and a Pro Plus Extended Warranty.
Dual Console, Stainless Steel Prop.,Custom Cover.
There is new Carpet on the Deck, New Live well Valve/Pump, New Live well Cable, New Trim Sending Unit.
The Things it Needs are all covered by the Warranty and Extended Warranty, New Fuel Tank, New Troll Battery, the Live Well Still Leaks(another Valve?) Some New Screws (rusty and burred) There is a Screw Under The Dual Console from installation that Sticks out about 1" needs to be Cut Off, the Deck Lids are uneven (since the New Carpet), There are Holes in the Dry Storage Boxes from the drill for New Rivets(Replaced Twice from New Carpet).
This Boat has a Great Attitude in Rough Water, W/90hp it tops out at 38mph(according to a GPS) 45mph (speedometer)??
I have tried to work with TRACKER to take this wonderful boat back but they said they sold it to the dealer so I would need to take it up with the dealer, GREAT BACKING TRACKER. I would like to SELL this LEMMON (Tracker's only) for ONLY $11,000.OO
Trade in value is about $9,000.00 that is $6,000.00 depreciation in one year!
Old 10-08-02, 07:53 PM   #7

Sorry I failed to say that if you live in Texas there are no lemon laws so dont buy a TRACKER in texas because TRACKER don't stand behind thier product
Old 11-11-02, 05:35 PM   #8

[glow=red,2,300]TEXT[/glow]

Had a TX-17 for 9 years. It was a good boat, but the only thing I can say is the dealer makes the difference. The guy I bought mine from was good, but I moved and the dealers here suck. I used mine on Kentucky Lake, Barkley and such and I agree, keep to smaller water and you will be just fine. I had a 40 Hp Merc and it would do 30 to 35 with no problem. Good beginning boat. Sold it to a friend and brought a Ranger. Miss my little boat when it comes to shallow fishing.

I sold mine for 500 less than I paid originally.

JB
Old 03-22-03, 10:51 PM   #9

I bought a left over T185 last year for some reason it had been ordered with rollers on the trailer instead of bunks. Less than a month after buying the boat the front keel roller had ripped the steel on the cross member. I took the boat back to the dealer who said he would have it fixed in a day or two, that took 4 weeks with constant phone calls from me to the dealer and trailstar. The dealer said he couldn't get approval from Trailstar and Trailstar told me they couldn't force the dealer to honor the warranty. Finally fixed in time for vacation, returned home from vacation to find the front keel roller broken. Called the dealer and was told they would order the roller and and have it by the end of the week. 3 weeks and many lies by the dealer later I went and bought a roller so I could fish. Crawled under the boat to install the roller and saw the hull was cracked along the center line at the second keel roller. Took the boat to the dealer told them to give me back my money or fix the boat and put bunks on the trailer. Then called Trailstar and Tracker complaining about the situtation only to be told they can't force the dealer to honor the warranty. 4 more weeks of lies by the dealer it was finally fixed. I love the boat but hate Bass Pro Shops and all the products with their name on them. The warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. I called Bass Pro and told them not to send any of their catalogs as I refuse to do business with a company that treats customers like that. By the way I did call and e-mail Bass Pro repeatedly during that time but never received a response.
Old 12-15-03, 11:19 PM   #10

Buy a triton aluminum boat, there is no wood in it at all. Trackers decks are treated wood, future rotten wood. No problems from my boat yet.
Old 12-15-03, 11:21 PM   #11

Buy a triton aluminum boat, there is no wood in it at all. Trackers decks are treated wood, future rotten wood. No problems from my boat yet.
Old 02-13-04, 10:05 AM   #12

My story is far too long to post here but all I can say DON"T BUY A TRACKER PRODUCT!!!!!

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/trackthis/
Old 02-13-04, 04:16 PM   #13
wood123
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to wood123

Hi Gary

I bought a leftover Lowe160 Bass Striker last year with a 50HP Johnson. Looked at the Trackers and heard tooooo many horror stories. I am really happy with the Lowe and had no problems what-so-ever. They are all alum. even the decks. They also come in a 17 and 18 foot model. I think these boats deserve a look. ;D

Rubberman
wood123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 06:00 PM   #14

I recently purchased a 1990 Bass Tracker Tournament TX 17 and love it. You will love to see your passengers faces when you hit an oncoming wave at an angle and they get soaked. Other than that, I have no complaints at all. It has a 70 hp Evinrude on it that pushes it up in the high 30's low 40's. Fishes 2 people with more than enough room and 3 ok, but that is all I would put in it, otherwise it will be crowded. Planes quickly and and steers nice. My '01 F-350 diesel starts laughing at me when I pull it because it is so light.
Old 08-29-04, 06:09 PM   #15
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

I didn't know a Triton or a Lowe fell in the same price bracket. I would have thought them to be considerably higher in price ? Maybe its my state that is ripping people off ? P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 09:08 PM   #16
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Man that guy Dewey loves to whine about that boat doesn't he?

Around here Lowe is about the same price as a Tracker. A little more, but not a great deal. Triton is a bit more.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 10:18 PM   #17
roypilgrimjr
BassFishin.Com Member

Well is a bass tracker tx 17 footer 1990 model worth 2,500 I don't really know but i need to know before I buy has 8o hr mercury on it please can you let me know.
roypilgrimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 05:20 PM   #18
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most flat bottom john boats have very limited free board,are suitable for shallow water and fairly calm water,going out in 3 fters isnt advisable.As for value if in good shape ,trailer included,and motor depending upon what year what make,and most important how you yoursef value it not as like in nada.Figgure a good used 70 hp -80hp ,old? new? but if it runs starts and stops whats it worth try buying just it alone bet its 1000 dollars,trailer what can you buy one for ? about 500 maybe,that leaves 1000 for the boat,not shabby.But does it leak,does it start,would you be ashamed to tow it or show up at a home with it,if so save your money then spend more later.
That said I bought my first one for 400 bucks,14 ft thundercraft no motor bought a 50 merc for 500 that was over 20 years ago,electronics,didnt have much money so used indoor outdoor green carpet on the thing and was proud of it at the time.
After using several years sold it for about what I had in it.,after they get so old they dont lose anymore value so long as they float start and stop.
if thats the asking price try getting it a couple hundred less,most people price their eq so they can barter a bit.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-07-10 at 09:04 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.