Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-13-13, 11:50 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Depth finders, grayscale or color?

Given a choice, would you purchase a color screen depth finder or a grayscale depthfinder AND WHY? I'm hoping to purchase a depth finder with DI this spring. Planning on spending between $250.00 and $350.00. Maybe less depending on whats on sale this year at the BPS spring sale. Don't need a GPS feature, and this will be mounted on a 12 foot jon.
Old 01-14-13, 12:08 AM   #2
bamabassman

color!!! without a doubt. i have one that is greyscale. you just can't see things as good as in color. my front is color and console is greyscale. world of difference.
Old 01-14-13, 02:12 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Color units offer better definition, but can be hard to read in direct sun. I tried a 2D color sonar and a DI/SI color unit up front and I couldn't see either on a sunny day - but I had those units flush mounted in the front electronics console and could not adjust the angle on them. If you mount them on a RAM or similiar mount and can adjust the screen angle you may be ok with color. I went back to monochrome because I like my sonar flush mounted (I can't trip over it). I am considering a DI unit for up front and am more likely to go with a monochrome unit rather than color. I still have color units at he helm, the flush mounted color sonar in the dash is fine as it's pretty well shielded from the sun. The big 1197 mounted beside the console, however, is very hard to see in bright or direct sun. Adjusting the screen angle helps, but with the sun at your back it is very hard to see.

Sorry, I forgot this one point, it's been a while since I have been checking out sonar units. The down image (DI) display of all the units I've looked at are monochrome [note - yes you can selected one of a few "colors" for the DI image, ie. GRAY, green, blue or amber (Humminbird for example). And actually I prefer the Gray] color units with DI only utilize color in the 2D (normal sonar), or GPS display if a combo unit. So if your intention is to purchase a unit specifically for DI, the extra cost of color may not be worthwhile if the primary intention is to view the DI most often.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-14-13 at 10:07 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 11:27 AM   #4
lilmule

Agree color is easier effected by sunlight,plastic hood and being able to turn it helps,also better pic if say at idle in di mode,but at those disadvantages,high speed running a grey scale is easier to read.
Many di nowdays have menu options that are easier to read as reduce color,while on plane.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-13, 08:07 PM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Agree color is easier effected by sunlight,plastic hood and being able to turn it helps,also better pic if say at idle in di mode,but at those disadvantages,high speed running a grey scale is easier to read.
Many di nowdays have menu options that are easier to read as reduce color,while on plane.
I only have a trolling motor on the jonboat, so speed isn't an issue.
Old 01-14-13, 11:21 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Keith, go with color. I've had both and much prefer color. I have a Humminbird DI/SI on the console and am seriously considering getting a DI for the bow. I really like the DI and am amazed at what I can see using either mode. For the setup you have a DI will be great-you will REALLY like it.
Old 01-16-13, 01:37 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I only have a trolling motor on the jonboat, so speed isn't an issue.
Off topic for a second, here, but what length is your jon boat and how many # thrust is your tolling motor?

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 30#
Old 01-16-13, 04:58 PM   #8
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've got 55Lb on my 14, FWIW and love it. I'd go with the color if you can afford it KD.
Old 01-16-13, 07:49 PM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Off topic for a second, here, but what length is your jon boat and how many # thrust is your tolling motor?

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 30#
It's a 12/36 with a 55# Motor Guide. Scoots pretty well.
Old 01-16-13, 08:16 PM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Cool.
Thanks guys!
Old 01-21-13, 03:23 PM   #11
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The difference between color and grey scale on a depth finder is the same as the difference between a color and black/white tv. If someone already said this, i am sorry. I didn't read all the comments.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 09:13 PM   #12
Captmikestarrett

How deep do you fish in the john?

Capt Mike
Old 01-21-13, 11:08 PM   #13
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
How deep do you fish in the john?

Capt Mike
Generaly no deeper than 20-25 foot. Usually around 15 foot max. I fish small natural lakes up here in northern Indiana.
Old 01-22-13, 09:09 AM   #14
bassboogieman

I'll repeat this once more - the downscan and/or side scan images are monochome views. If you are fishing mainly small lakes in your john boat, do you have a need for color? The color is only a factor in 2D mode, which you'll probably not use very much, possible just in getting from launch to where you intend to fish. Do you need to spend the additonal money to get color for that use only? I don't know your fishing style, but if I apply what I would do, given the boat and water you fish, I don't think I would go color. As I said, I had it and went back to monochrome up front. I think I said that I am thinking about a DI unit for up front and again it will be a monochrome unit. Then again I do have the color at the helm, and I find that helpfull when running on plane.
Hummingbird screen shot on a "color" unit:

This is probably what I am looking at for my own use. It's hard to find a unit without the GPS and this is only $299. Not a huge difference in the "blue" image on the color and the "gray" on this monochrome, Although the color unit can be changed to amber, green or grey should you like that option. What I would really like is a 800 series 'bird with 2D & DI only without GPS in B&W, but no such animal exists.

AND this unit is HD, as are most of the new models. The difference between this unit and the 858 'bird is about $700 and I don't think I'll spend that. I could put two 5" units up front for that $$, using one in color 2D mode and the DI in monochorme, utilizing full screen on both and still have money left over for a few spools of braid and some Lucky Craft lures. I do believe the MONKEY is looking over my shoulder if I'm thinking that way...

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-22-13 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-22-13, 09:35 AM   #15
joedog

Bruce, do you have finder on your kayak?
If so, what.
I'm thinking SI would be handy on a kayak.
Old 01-22-13, 09:45 AM   #16
keithdog

Those are good points Bruce. I did not realize that all images from the DI mode were displayed in mono. I just assumed with a color depth finder, everything was displayed in color. And since I plan on using DI as my primary mode, that is good to know.
Old 01-22-13, 09:54 AM   #17
Captmikestarrett

Mono and at 20 feet depth with a 20 degree cone your coverage is 7 feet diameter.

But now your talking DI. That alone will help alot.

I think it comes down to the wallet.

Capt Mike

Last edited by Captmikestarrett; 01-22-13 at 10:10 AM.
Captmikestarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 11:02 AM   #18
bassboogieman

Quote:
Bruce, do you have finder on your kayak?
Yes, Joe. I have a 798Csi on my kayak. It was on my boat but I did not like it there, as I said, it was very hard to read in mid-day sunlight. Rather than sell it, I tried it on the kayak and I do like it there as I am much closer (eyes to screen) to it in the kayak. I like the SI/DI very much (just had a discussion with Jrob a couple days ago about this) in the kayak. The SI particularly as you sit low to the water and can't see structure or cover below the water like you can when standing in a boat, so it is useful. I also wanted GPS capibility - found out how much I would like that in Florida last year. Now, if I was buying one and didn't already have the 798 in my hands, I would opt for the 898 unit as I just like the bigger screens, the small units really don't lend themselves to using the split screen feature very well, just to small for these "old" eyes to see.
Old 01-22-13, 11:36 AM   #19
bamabassman

bruce, i concur with oyu on the bigger screens. i was looking at the NEW di/si units at BPS. mannnn...i have GOT to make some money, lol. it'll cost me 5 grand to upgrade front AND back to the bigger screened units. but i am gonna do my best to do it. i like the split screen capaability. and DETAIL......unreal.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.