Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-13, 08:41 PM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Monark Delta 5 deck repair

My wife has a little boat with a problem (or two). Mainly due to age. It is a '79 Monark Delta 5 fiberglass tunnel hull, 15' shallow runner, with a Mercury 50 engine. The deck is wood with fiberglass overlay. The original seats were on square fiberglass boxes screwed down to the deck. Over the years, the screws had leaked and rotted the wood around them, causing the seat mounts to pull loose. We removed the original mounts and replaced them with post-style seat mounts. Unfortunately, the damage to the wood was extensive enough that these didn't hold, either.
So now we have to make a deck repair in order to firmly mount the seats both fore and aft. Here is where all of you come in: we need friendly advice on how to proceed with the repair.
Two local shops want to re-deck the whole thing stem to stern and replace the carpet. We have the carpet, and the wood is cheap enough, but the fiberglass job would get real expensive, really quick. And if all that is really required is to repair only the areas affected by the leaking (the areas immediately around the old seat base sites), it seems like a job we could handle easily enough and save some money.
So there it is, friends. You can look at the pictures and get the general scope of the project. Should we re-deck the whole beast, or just fix the seat mounting areas? Your thoughts?

Her boat

showing carpet area with seat base

Part of carpet removed and rotted floor

Hole I drilled to hold the new base that pulled loose, you can also see where the old seat was mounted. (My foot, the metal rod and the screwdriver are the boundries)

You can see the foam under the decking, and the rotted wood. It's like this up front also, just not as bad.

So lets hear some thoughts on the repairs please?
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 09:20 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

YOU can repair the entire thing oyurself. but it WILL take time and lots of hard work. go to youttube and watch the videos and then TAKE OYUR TIME. i too am going to restore a boat. be prepared to make some mistakes, but in the end...you'll know EXACTLY what was done and have the assurance that YOU did it. trust me, if i think that I can do it. oyu can too. good luck and post up pics as you go along. i for one LOVE to see this type of thing.
Old 02-07-13, 09:37 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've redecked a few boats like this in the past and have had better results (and costs less and less work) just using 3/4 treated plywood and skip the glass. If you don't have some experience using fiberglass you can easily make a huge sloppy mess, and once that stuff sets.............. John's right about the youtube vids. Also go to tinboats.com even though it's mostly an aluminum boat mod site they have tons of fiberglass projects displayed in pics step by step. Good Luck
Old 02-08-13, 09:17 AM   #4
OkobojiEagle

I'd use marine grade plywood and skip the fiberglass also.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-13, 10:16 AM   #5
bassfisher

Well I chickened out on trying to repair the floor of my wife boat, and took it to a repair shop. But it's fixed now and ready for me to pick up today. It only took them three day from start to finish. Also they only cut out the bad parts and replace them, they also fiber glass it back in, even the mounting holes for the seat. At least I know it was done right, and I won't have to worry about my wife when she is out by herself fishing.
Sorry gang but we (well me) decided it would be best to let a pro do this repair. I ripped out the carpet and got it ready for them, so now we just need to put the carpet on the floor, mount the seats and it'll be ready for her to use. Come on 60 degree temperatures!!
Old 03-22-13, 05:46 PM   #6
nobass

you mount the seats holders you use BIG FENDER WASHER when you install . this will help from keeping bolts from coming thur the wood. also have you thought about not carpeting the boat and using non slip glue down type covering. keeps from holding water in carepet give you longer wood life and a whole lot eaiser to install
Old 03-23-13, 09:28 AM   #7
bassfisher

nobass, not sure what you mean, like a rubber mat or what? But no we planed on using carpet. It also had plastic inserts in the wood to mount the seat down too, we plan to use them again or maybe drywall aluminum inserts to grid the wood better, then insect the screws into that. (the boat repair shop suggested that also)
Old 03-23-13, 11:13 AM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

out of couriousty, how much did it cost? IF oyu don't mind me asking. if oyu prefer, send me a private message telling me how much it cost. i want to compare "do-it-yourself" to having a professional do it. cool?
Old 03-23-13, 05:11 PM   #9
nobass

no it is a roll of adhesive that has has a gule on back side and non slip grit on front. i used that on my first baot was just like your style i replacxed all the wood decking. and then but this down . workis great and easy maintence. i bought mind at northern tool the whole roll was under 50 dollars it come in 4x12 sheet roll or longer i think 14,.16 ,18 foot just lay it out, cut to shape needed . peel off backing and stick down . do it slowly so you will not have any bublles can not roll the out.
Old 03-23-13, 10:15 PM   #10
bassfisher

bamabassman: More then I care to admit on line, but it's done right, and I feel she'll be save. You (well I) can't put a price for my wife safety, and my piece of mine. I'm sure you can take your boat to a few repair shops and get a few quotes. I know it's cheaper to do it yourself, but I'm no carpenter at all.

nobass: Thanks and we'll look into it. We have the carpet already, and I showed her your post.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.