Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-13, 08:59 PM   #1
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Good Day at the Yard Sales=New to Me Boat

Haven't posted in here in a long time with my little girl and work taking up all my time but just wanted to get a quick post in here.

Got a call from my mom this past Saturday while I was at work to swing by one of her neighbors yard sales because there was a boat there in the driveway. Swung by around 2pm and took a look, it was in decent shape and made an offer of $300 cash money. Lady said someone had come by earlier and offered $500 but had to go get the approval of their dad and come up with the cash. I told her my offer was still $300 cash in hand and left my cell # and left. Around 5pm I still hadn't gotten a call but figured, what the hell lets swing back by. For once I am glad this current generation is a bunch of slackers because I got there and the boat was still in driveway and all the other assorted yard sale stuff was being packed back up. I backed the truck in and said......$300 and it is out of your driveway. She took it and her husband went inside and got the title, and helped me load in in the back and secure it. He goes, you need some oars? Sure. How bout some life jackets? Sure. How bout a battery and case? Sure. How bout a new in box anchor? Sure. I got these kinda new seats, want those too? Sure. He then just throws them in the cab, says "Its all yours", shakes my hand and I am on my way.

I call my mom back and thank her for the tip and she says how much did you get it for? I tell her $300 and all the extra stuff and she says next time we have lunch I will have $300 for you......Happy Birthday.

What a great Saturday.

Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13, 09:01 PM   #2
Panthrosan

Next step is outfitting the boat. I want a trolling motor and the Minn Kota 30lb motor is on sale over at Amazon for 89 after rebates and I need a charger for the free battery that came with the boat. Will that trolling motor be enough to get me around a couple smallish lakes and ponds or do I need to spend more to get the 40lb motor?
Old 05-01-13, 09:51 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First of all welcome back to the site, I have been really busy with other stuff lately and haven't had near as much time to come by here as I would like. Congrats on the boat, it sounds like you got a heck of a buy, especially since your mom is going to cover the expense for your birthday present. As for the trolling motor my advice is get the biggest on you can afford, you might have heard the old saying "nobody ever wishes they had a smaller trolling motor". The 30lb might be just fine, but then again it might not be horse enough to move you along on windy days. Whatever you decide, have fun with the new boat!
Old 05-01-13, 09:56 PM   #4
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It will do when not real windy and storms hitting the fan so to speak doesnt take much to push it.And if only going out say once a week a trickle charger will do,if faster is needed it is one bank standard 10 amp car charger.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-13, 06:46 AM   #5
keithdog

Sounds like you lucked into a good deal. I have a 12 foot jon and I use a 55# MinnKota trolling motor. I wouldn't go any smaller as it moves me out when I need it, and handles windy days fairly well. Minn Kota has rebates going now on many of their motors too.
Old 05-02-13, 04:51 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

That is a good looking rat killer deal..

Congrats..

Capt Mike
Old 05-02-13, 05:36 PM   #7
Dave63

Go big on the TM if you can. You will not regret it if you are across the lake when the storm brews up suddenly...
Old 05-02-13, 06:10 PM   #8
nobass

sounds like you lucked out. great deal even better as b day gift.
Old 05-02-13, 09:26 PM   #9
bamabassman

that is an AWESUM deal man!!! and i concur on the getting as big as oyu can afford. heck, oyu got 1 battery, if possible get another and go for the 24 volt troller. heck, before oyu know it..you'll have a nice platform. seats loook good form the pics. paddles....GO FISHING MAN!!! lol!! congrats bud, always wonderful to see a member get anew "ride".
Old 05-02-13, 09:47 PM   #10
Panthrosan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
that is an AWESUM deal man!!! and i concur on the getting as big as oyu can afford. heck, oyu got 1 battery, if possible get another and go for the 24 volt troller. heck, before oyu know it..you'll have a nice platform. seats loook good form the pics. paddles....GO FISHING MAN!!! lol!! congrats bud, always wonderful to see a member get anew "ride".
I would love a 24 volt one with 2 batteries but I am approaching the max load for the boat as it is with just the one battery and motor, myself and my fishing buddy not to mention our gear and backup paddles, and food, and beer, and you get my point lol.
Old 05-03-13, 10:04 AM   #11
lilmule

It will last all day long on 12 v settings its a light boat compared to a fiberglass BB.
With a 24 v could actually make your boat pard go overboard on start up if on high.
And yes had to fish several out,called a learning curve and or poed buddy.
Old 05-03-13, 09:44 PM   #12
Panthrosan

Next step is building some extra sawhorses like the ones my favorite woodshop guy on youtube designed both for in my shop and to store my boat up on to get it off my deck and into the backyard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCkPoTCoTqo
Old 05-05-13, 09:07 AM   #13
keithdog

I wish I had a work shop like that guy has. That makes any wood working job so much easier.
Old 05-15-13, 03:55 PM   #14
Panthrosan

Picked up the Minn Kota 45lb thrust trolling motor over at Dick's today for the boat. It was on sale for $189.99 and I used my dicks rewards to get $20 off and then used a $10 off coupon and then a Triple Points coupon to get me down to $159 and I just filled out the rebates from Minn Kota to get another $20 back so overall I will be $140 into the trolling motor. That was the good news.

Bad news is the battery that was thrown in is no good and I have to get a new one. My buddy recommended the Walmart deep cycle marine battery and another one recommended the AutoZone brand. What do you guys recommend? Also what charger do you recommend?
Old 05-15-13, 04:44 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

I've had good luck with Interstate batteries, but a lot of people have said that the Diehard Platinum PM-1 is a great battery. Walmart carries them, I believe.
Old 05-17-13, 12:54 PM   #16
66KingFisher

Autozone is owned by Walmart, so it doesn't really matter which place you get your battery....they all come from the same supplier...Congrats on the sweet garage sale find.
Old 05-18-13, 09:06 PM   #17
Panthrosan

Just a quick update.....Took her out this morning for the first time. Had a blast putting around a local 90 acre lake with my buddy and caught a few fish to boot. Ended up going with a Walmart brand size 27 marine deep cycle battery and snagged the Minn Kota Power Center off amazon on sale to go with the battery and the C245 trolling motor. Setting 5 had the 14ft boat plus 2 full grown men, battery, and gear planing nicely. Next step is to build a dolly/cart to get it from the parking lot to the lakes since I just throw it in the back of the pickup truck and man did it suck hauling the 200 yards by hand.
Old 05-21-13, 07:20 PM   #18
Highhawk1948
BassFishin.Com Member

I have caught some nice fish out of a boat like that. Hope you enjoy it, and good luck.
Highhawk1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13, 10:40 PM   #19
Panthrosan

Got the wheeled dolly built up.

All it is is 1 2x4x8 cut into 2 40 inch pieces and screwed together and 2 8inch pieces attached to the ends with 4 pocket hole screws, 2 from each sandwiched 40 inch pieces, 2 5/8 bolts, 4 locking nuts, 4 washers, EDIT: 2 anchor screws, and 2 Wheelbarrow tires from harbor freight. Grand total? Under $25 bucks. Taking it out tomorrow to see how much it helps me launch the boat single handily. Only thing I might change is to add a tongue out front to help stabilize the dolly as I load the boat onto it.

And it is cat approved.

Old 06-05-13, 06:14 AM   #20
nobass

looks good did the cat approve lol
Old 06-05-13, 09:47 PM   #21
lilmule

Looks like he said purrfect
Old 06-06-13, 06:41 PM   #22
bamabassman

ingenius man !!!!!
Old 07-22-13, 01:15 AM   #23
Panthrosan

Been doing some fixes and updates and video recording parts of it as I go along. On this episode I'm working on the transom and in future episodes I plan to have several camera angles of what I am doing to serve as a how to.....or how not to do some fixes with limited tools.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9BmwxDQ1yB8

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.