Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-19-14, 09:16 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Joedog - eat your heart out...

Not really but an update on the kayak front. Question? Which one is MINE?

Answer: Both of them. Yessir, I am now the owner of a second PA-14, the 2013 yellow one was my buddy Bob's that passed away in Sept. Seems the guy that bought it a month ago decided he didn't want it. He did want the trailer but wanted to sell the kayak w/all the gear including a 998cSI Humminbird. I didn't want the trailer (mine is set up for two), actually tried to buy the kayak but the executor of the estate did not want to split up the package, so I brokered the sale. I was lucky to see the guys post about selling it and jumped right on it. Got a great deal.

So I'm trying to get my wife interested in kayaking, not so much fishing but I think she might like getting out a little. I have a spare now if my nephew wants to go. I think this will be the deciding factor to finally (REALLY) to sell my boat, the kayaks are more fun and a lot less work.

So now I got one like yours!

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-19-14 at 09:22 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 11:14 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Sorry to hear about your buddy.
That's rough.

I seem to recall a fishin trip the 2 of you went on, in those bad boys...Florida, maybe?
Old 03-20-14, 12:13 AM   #3
joedog

Bruce thats amazing....I had the answer before I saw the answer under the photo.

Worse...I ate some brownies a little old lady made for me who moved next door from San Fran.
She knew I was diabetic so told me to only eat one at a time.
They were great so I had four.
Was very tired so I took a nap....and had the wierdest dream.
I woke up and the first thing I did was see your post.

Skipping to the wierd part.
Some old OLD COGER wanted a fishing buddy but he was such a grouch I told him that the only way I'd fish with him was if we somehow were related....like an Uncle or something.
The nightmare ended and I woke up.

Then your post.........
SO UNK when are we going FISHING?
Auntie will be fine!

I promise....again......I will post some pics this spring of the ride I got last year. Ended up only paying $1600 for it but the savings went quickly into the Kayak.

I am truely sorry to hear about your loss though.
Auntie really will enjoy it too.
I find myself sometimes just peddling around and watching your graph and enjoying the day.
And that is so much not me.

The thing I'm MOST JEALOUS OF IS.....YOU HAVE OPEN WATER WHILE I WATCH IT SNOW AGAIN!
Old 03-26-14, 04:33 AM   #4
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I love the lay-out of those kayaks - My biggest problem is that I am looking for a yak that I would be using mostly on a shallow river and I don't think there would be enough water for the flipper propulsion system. Actually, that's the second biggest problem - the first problem is the price tag!

I'd like to get a Wilderness Systems Commander, but the price tag on Bass Pro Shop's Ascend model is tempting.
Old 03-26-14, 09:06 AM   #5
bassboogieman

There is no argument that Hobie, or any kayak with a propulsion system, is expensive. One thing with the Hobie flipper system is that you can use the drive system in relatively shallow water by short stroking the flippers and keeping them close to the hull, or pushing one peddle forward and keeping the flippers against the hull and gliding or paddling over shallow areas, you can't do that with a propeller drive system. That said, I would not want to do that over long distances, but short distances it can be done.

I would not recommend the PA in either length for your type of fishing, they are more intended to lake, reservoir or bay fishing as they are big and HEAVY. Hobie does make other models much better suited to river fishing like the Outback or Revolution, same flipper drive, and yes they are expensive when compared to a paddle kayak.

The benefit of a drive system (over a paddle) is keeping your hands free to fish and using the big muscles of the legs is less fatiguing than paddling for old farts like me. One final recommendation - for fishing go with a sit-on-top rather than a sit-in for a couple reasons. The SoT gets you a little higher (for casting) and a lot dryer, you can't have scuppers to drain water in a kayak you sit in (nobody like a wet butt). Which ever route you decide to go, I highly recommend a kayak for getting out on the water, I prefer it to my bass boat - you can't cover as much water but it's a relaxing way to get out there on the water.
Old 03-26-14, 12:00 PM   #6
joedog

Bruce well put!
A couple of ad ons.
The hobies got a bungie type cord to attach to one peddle pushed forward (opposite side of bungie suggested) that you clip to the closest peddle and it keeps the flippers tight against the hull.
Second if your looking to buy go to the web and find a place that sells them and you can get HUGE discounts on last years new models....usually.

Biggest advantage to the purpulsion system for me is when you get a fish on....you can peddle and avoid getting pulled towards shore or the fish.

Bruce I'm waiting to see if the YELLOW has any effect on your success ratio.
My guess is...no...but let me know.
And is that a cooler or a livewell behind the seat?

Oh and say HI to Auntie for me will ya?
Old 03-26-14, 03:35 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
And is that a cooler or a livewell behind the seat?
It's a converted cooler to livewell, which I am going to UN-convert and use it as originally intended - as a cooler. I have no use for a livewell as I usually release most fish I catch, if I keep them it's ON ICE. It also is great for storage of tackle bags and other gear within reach. I have one on my old one also and built a PVC rack to hold it in place and also hold rods & tools out of the way but still within reach. You can see it in the pic, but it's not really clear.

My bracket fits in the two rod holders molded into the PA hull, behind the seat. Note: once again I say one of the main reasons I moved up to the Pro Angler was to NOT have my rods sticking up in the air but I sometimes do stick a rod in one of the holders when changing spots or to rig a bait. Usually I use the holders for my pliers (you can see them in the front holder), my net, hatchet (pesky snakeheads on the Potomac - where this was taken) and other items as needs require.

I found another pic that shows it better. 1.25" PVC fits the Hobie rod holder perfectly.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-26-14 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 06:07 PM   #8
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
I love the lay-out of those kayaks - My biggest problem is that I am looking for a yak that I would be using mostly on a shallow river and I don't think there would be enough water for the flipper propulsion system. Actually, that's the second biggest problem - the first problem is the price tag!

I'd like to get a Wilderness Systems Commander, but the price tag on Bass Pro Shop's Ascend model is tempting.
I looked at the 12' Ascend on Bass Pro.
I really like the improvements they've made!

I like my FS12T. Got it like 3 years ago, but mine does have some minor issues.
It doesn't track real well, which usually isn't a big problem.

It does have a small leak in it somewhere. Very small. I'm guessing high up in one of the scupper holes.

It's kinda heavy and really awkward to get it into the back of a pickup.

Overall though, it's been a good yak for the price
Old 04-01-14, 01:40 AM   #9
IowaBasser

When I said a "shallow river" I meant that there are 6 to 8 places where you have to get out and walk beside a canoe. There are another 6 to 8 places where you drag bottom and hope to not have to get out. We have a couple of guys that have cheap kayaks and though they float higher in the water, even they have to get out a couple of times and walk, especially the last couple years late in the summer with as dry as it has been.

I can't imagine you would want to drag the bottom of a pro angler with a mirage drive system over those shallow rocks.

I can definitely see the benefit of the mirage system for a lake!
Old 04-01-14, 05:51 AM   #10
joedog

Iowa,
They have buttons that allow you to pull the pupulsion system out.
They then (flippers) snap right back in.
Have a plug for the hole left.

You actually never need to put them in if you want to paddle all day.
In the top photo, I think they are pulled out. Not sure but Bruce knows.
Old 04-02-14, 05:56 AM   #11
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Iowa,
They have buttons that allow you to pull the pupulsion system out.
They then (flippers) snap right back in.
Have a plug for the hole left.

You actually never need to put them in if you want to paddle all day.
In the top photo, I think they are pulled out. Not sure but Bruce knows.
My monkey thanks you; he'll be in my ear all the time now.
Old 04-02-14, 08:03 AM   #12
joedog

Did I mention......you can stand and fish in them?

Old 04-02-14, 10:39 AM   #13
lilmule

Lol all you guys do is yak yak yak,bring one down here might just convert me,west obion wetland about 45 min west has no ramps,chock full of lilly pads(American lotus mostly),cyprus trees and bass,among other things.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 06:33 PM   #14
woody

I have a hard time finding the time in getting my bassboat on the water, so a yak is definitely out of the question. I can say that if I didn't have the bassboat i would own a yak. "To each his own.."

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.