Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-03-07, 03:00 PM   #1
BassStalker
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trying to get my '86 Laser to go faster

I am running an '87 Evinrude 200 on an '86 18' Laser. Top end currently about 50. Running a 14-1/4x24 prop that came with it. Have been to at least 3 mechanics. Carbs rebuilt, new plugs, powerpaks, and all sorts of adjustments. Compression good. The last mechanic suggested measuring the high speed jets with a drill to determine if they are oversized. This 200 is a replacement for the 150 that was on the boat when I bought it a couple years ago, which I burned up. Sure seems that with this much horsepower this boat ought to go faster.
BassStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 06:40 PM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off welcome to the boards, and I wanna say YOU GOT A HELLUVA BOAT. I own a Laser myself bud and do boat setups so I can probably help ya out. First off need to know if ya got a 18ft V-hull or do you have a LTV. Thats the first thing we need to get cleared up. You say your running a 200 with a 24p prop. What are your WOT rpm's (wide open throttle) when you are up and running full tilt boogie. Before I can go any farther I need to make sure that your engine is turning correct RPM's. I assume that you know that the tack is working correctly. As far as oversized jets you wouldnt have to measure if they where to big. It would be apperant if they where. You would be loading up bad and fouling plugs ifn they where. Just off the top of my head there could be several problems. One, the motor could be way to deep on the transom. Are you running a jack plate???? If you have a V-hull a stock 200 oughta push you into the 70's with ease, if your running a LTV you should be able to get setup to run closer to 80 if not a tad more. Get back to me when you can with some answers and we will get this problem nipped and get that bad a@@ boat running.
Old 09-03-07, 08:16 PM   #3
BassStalker
BassFishin.Com Member

First, tnx for the response and offer to help. Second, I will need a little help to identify hull type. The motor is not on a jackplate but is bolted up as high as it can go. WOT rpms around 5200 if my tach reads right. Bought it at West Marine a couple months ago. The last boat mechanic offered to let me borrow his digital some weekend to check against mine. Speed was clocked by GPS.
Old 09-03-07, 08:44 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

get a jack plate bolted up first thing stalker.. your way deep with your moter..

zooker
Old 09-03-07, 09:02 PM   #5
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I'm no expert, but I believe the V-type hull is something like this:

Old 09-04-07, 11:18 AM   #6
BassStalker
BassFishin.Com Member

Okay, I guess the jack plate makes that much of a difference. Now, I am fairly mechanical, so is this something I can handle myself? And, is there anything else I can do in the meantime? Also, where would be a place to get a jackplate? Any recommendations as to model? Tnx again for the help.

Oh, based on the picture, mine is not a V hull, it looks more like a Nitro, Ranger, or Triton bass boat.

Last edited by BassStalker; 09-04-07 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Left off information
Old 09-04-07, 06:03 PM   #7
bassfisher02

Well that picture is only for hull reference, the V-shape, not the boat as a whole. Again, I dont really know, but from the sound of it... v-hull... it sounds as though the hull would look similiar to the picture, just the hull not the rest of the boat. Disregaurd the body and all other things, just notice how the hull forms a v type shape... could be what it means, or maybe I'm way off...

V-hull:

Old 09-04-07, 06:15 PM   #8
1FASTLASER

First off I would definatley take up the offer on using the difital tack and having minecheckd out. 24p on a 200 should be banging the limiter REAL hard unless the motor is WAY to deep. IS the motor all the way down on the transom??? You said it was in the top holes. With this description yes you are way to deep and dragging the lower unit of the motor. Laser's LOVE 6" of setback NO MORE than 8" This comes from MANY MANY Laser owners. It sounds as though you have the V-hull. A V-hull comes down to a v in the middle of the boat. A LTV has a v in the middle but also has 2 sponsons on the outer edges. Laser LTV bassers are fairly rare. The first thing I would do is get that tack checked AND measure the motor depth. Very easy to do. Get a level and using the trailer jack level the bottom of the hull. Then using the trim on the motor lower the engine till the cavatation plate (the plate above the prop) is level, Then take a straight edge and placing it at the nose of the bullet on the lower unit measure from that point to the bottom of the hull. That will tell me how deep your motor is. Right off the top of my head you should be in starting from the bottom set of mounting holes be in the second hole. If you go in the last hole you will loose water pressure when trimmed up.

As far as installing a jack plate it is real easy to do. Many types to look at and any more they all are pretty good. I do suggest one that uses only one wrench on a centrally located bolt to jack the motor. First thing you have to do is make sure your cables are long enough. Most likely you gonna have to install a new set that is longer so you dont NIND the steering cables. Again this is very easy to do and straight forward.
Old 09-04-07, 06:17 PM   #9
zooker

the laser he has is likely an v-hull this is a hull shape more like a bullet bass boat and nearly as fast.there is two kinds of ltv and 2 kinds of v-hulls .

here is what i mean..

86 Laser LTV2 26" PowerTech, 8" CNC hydraulic, Lowrance XR4,
Bass Boat Mod-VP MinnKota TM. Propshaft is 6" below. 98 mph @ 8200
86 325 Johnson rpm (gps). "One of a kind Laser Bass boat, outstanding
Mod VP condition, custom built for NBS Marine High Performance
Outboards in Norfolk, VA. This is the last of the tunnel
bass boats."

90 Laser 26" Chopper, 6" hydraulic jackplate, Lowrance electronics,
Limited Edition Motorguide TM. 92 mph @ 7000 rpm (radar).
81 225 Merc "Just Sit down! Shut up! and hold on!"

89 Laser LTV 27" PowerTech, 8" CMC hydraulic, MinnKota 33#.
Bass Boat Mod-VP Propshaft is 1.25" below pad. 102 mph @ 7800 rpm (gps)
86 325 Johnson
Mod-VP

this is a v-hull

82 Lazer 23" prop, 6" CMC hydraulic, 4520 Pinpoint, 3700 Pinpoint
86 150 Merc TM. 59 mph @ 5700 rpm (speedo).

note these guys are not lying about just how fast these 4 boats above can go..so yeah 50's with 200 would be very slow..

stalker
a 6" manual jack plate can be put on in about an hour or so you'll need an engine hoist or such unbolt the 4 bolts, remove the moter put the jackplate on,then using new bolts and nuts bolt the plate to the moter..

zooker
Old 09-04-07, 06:26 PM   #10
bassfisher02

Damn I cant imagine what 100mph on a boat is like... The closest I can get to anything like that is 85mph on a motorcycle or however fast these modern day rollercoasters go.
Old 09-04-07, 07:12 PM   #11
zooker

it is a learned skill it aint driving miss daisy for sure.. you fight the boat all the way. at 80 it feels kinda like sliding around on gravel.at 90 most boat hop-think wheelie-at 100 mph 2/3 of the prop is NOT in the water. and your totally on the pad think riding a skate board sideways at this speed.

nuff said

zooker
Old 09-04-07, 07:43 PM   #12
bassfisher02

Sounds pretty fun actually. Now I just need to find someone who has a boat that can hit 100mph, and a driver that can properly control the boat at said speed.
Old 09-04-07, 07:51 PM   #13
1FASTLASER

ZOOKER I cant find those boats that you listed...PLEASE send me the linl. I cannot find them. I saw them a few days ago and for the life of me..........well hell you know old age is setting in.
Old 09-04-07, 07:54 PM   #14
1FASTLASER

Here ya go stalker this is a 18ft Laser V-HULL
Old 09-04-07, 07:54 PM   #15
1FASTLASER

Crap hang on trying to get this pic to load
Old 09-04-07, 07:55 PM   #16
bassfisher02

Everyone is leaving out the links!! Haha.
Old 09-04-07, 07:56 PM   #17
1FASTLASER

How Do I Get A Pic To Load Up On This Dang Thing
Old 09-04-07, 08:01 PM   #18
1FASTLASER

Well sooner or later I'll figure out how to get a pic on here. BUT in the mean time here's a bit of info for ya'll

Ya'll done seen what a SLOMC will do on the Laser's Zook has posted. Well to let ya'll in on a secret......the boat I am resoring AND put on a diet is in fact a LAER. She started life weighing in at a slight 624lbs. Well after some VERY VERY careful engineering and figuring I got her down to a svelt 425lbs. This aint the best part. The BLACK BEOTCH that is gonna be bolted on has already been dynoed at 265hp at the propshaft.

YOU DO THE MATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-07, 08:36 PM   #19
bassfisher02

To upload the picture, you'll have to obtain the pictures URL address by right clicking the picture, selecting properties, and copying the URL address. Then come to the board, hit reply, look on the toolbar and find the icon that looks like mountains and maybe a sun. Click the icon and a box will pop on screen. Once this happens, delete the Http:// nonsense in there and paste the URL address exactly. Click done and it will either show the picture, or show a link to see the picture.
Old 09-04-07, 09:25 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Well sooner or later I'll figure out how to get a pic on here. BUT in the mean time here's a bit of info for ya'll

Ya'll done seen what a SLOMC will do on the Laser's Zook has posted. Well to let ya'll in on a secret......the boat I am resoring AND put on a diet is in fact a LAER. She started life weighing in at a slight 624lbs. Well after some VERY VERY careful engineering and figuring I got her down to a svelt 425lbs. This aint the best part. The BLACK BEOTCH that is gonna be bolted on has already been dynoed at 265hp at the propshaft.

YOU DO THE MATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too fast for me LOL.

The easiest way to upload a pic from your computer is to go to post a reply, then click on the paperclip. It will allow you to browse "YOUR" computer to find the pic and then upload it.

Lizards
Old 09-04-07, 09:29 PM   #21
zooker

lizzy you are talking about one fast rock hitter here..

zooker
Old 09-04-07, 09:48 PM   #22
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
lizzy you are talking about one fast rock hitter here..

zooker
Exactly, and the rock usually don't move much after the hit, so somethings gonna give

Lizards
Old 09-05-07, 05:44 AM   #23
1FASTLASER

Ok lets try this... Shoule be a pic of a Laser here this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LASERB~1_edited.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1782  
Old 09-05-07, 05:58 PM   #24
zooker

yep it is there.. the thing is with lasers you can only really tell from the side.. the top looks like a hydrosport or a hydrostream..

zooker
Old 09-06-07, 08:57 PM   #25
BassStalker
BassFishin.Com Member

Okay, lots of good info here, appreciate the help. Got the wife to remind to get the digital tach to check over the weekend, took a picture of the hull which I will work get out of my camera, and will report back on Monday when I have taken a measurement of the motor depth, btw, which I did not express myself clearly, the intent of what I was trying to say before is that I have the motor in the BOTTOM holes which brings the motor the highest out of the water. If I understand what you guys are saying, a manual jackplate is sufficient. So, no need to spend the extra money for the hydraulic jackplate?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.