Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-25-09, 10:11 AM   #1
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Sweet Beavers

I have heard a lot of people rave about these baits and it was in the last Bassmaster issue, but i have seen them used on texas rig, carolina rig, and as a trailer for a jig(im guessing a smaller size). Are you guys just throwing these things around really heavy cover or do you actually replace your worms and lizards on your carolina rigs with this. Any info on how you throw it and when you throw it would be greatly appreciated.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 10:14 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Honestly, I've only used a bait like them once. And it was flippin' and pitchin' into heavy cover.

BB
Old 01-25-09, 10:41 AM   #3
pig n jig

I absolutely love this bait. I use them from the wide beavers down to the smallie beavers.Magic craw swirl,infection and green pumpkin are the colors I throw the majority of the time.This bait works on high pressured waters here because most people don't fish them.I primarily fish them t- rigged with a free sliding sinker. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 10:47 AM   #4
bassinbob

This is one of the best baits I have found to use before the pads come up. I fish them texas rigged on braid no leader. I drag and hop them through the pad fields (as I call them).
Old 01-25-09, 10:52 AM   #5
zooker

i t-rig them with a pegged sinker in heavy cover..

zooker
Old 01-25-09, 11:55 AM   #6
keithdog

I work them as zooker does. T-rigged with a heavy tungsten sinker. They are one of my go to lures for working in heavy vegitation because of the lack of appendages on the lure body. The sleek legless design of the beaver baits allows it to slide through the heavy weedcover more easily that many other creature baits.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 12:38 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

i use the smallie beaver as jig trailers a lot in clear water on a finesse jig, and i do a lot of trimming on the finesse jig for this trailer. as for the sweet beaver, i sometimes will use it as a jig trailer in place of the smallie beaver but usually not. i do like to pitch and flip the sweet beaver quite a bit. i am going to use the double wide beaver a lot this year because i use screw in weights and big hooks which causes me to tear up a lot of sweet beaver since they are small, but the double wides are quite a bit bigger so i think they would handle the screw in weights and big hooks better.
Old 01-25-09, 01:25 PM   #8
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish a sweet beaver a lot. All you need to do is start fishing them.....
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 02:36 PM   #9
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I fish the Slurpies Brush Beaver a lot. It's a Sweet Beaver knock off. I fish the Slurpies because I order a bunch of stuff from Bass Pro and they don't carry Reaction Inovations baits. My guess is Bass Pro doesn't like the sexual connotations related to the Reaction Inovations products but that's just a guess.

Anyway, the Sweet Beaver or Brush Beaver is a really good bait. Fish it in the same places you'd fish a jig or a worm. I T-rig mine with a 3/16 worm weight most of the time and mainly pitch and flip to targets.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 07:02 PM   #10
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I prefer a Gambler ugly Otter for pitching into heavy cover and laydowns.
Old 01-25-09, 07:07 PM   #11
JB

How many of ya out there leave the claw together to seperate them ? I 've tried both ways but cant tell if ones better that the other..I see together is for flipping and seperate is for trailer, but I'm sure if the bass are in the mood they will hit it one way or the other..anyone split
theres open?

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 07:45 PM   #12
The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
I fish the Slurpies Brush Beaver a lot. It's a Sweet Beaver knock off. I fish the Slurpies because I order a bunch of stuff from Bass Pro and they don't carry Reaction Inovations baits. My guess is Bass Pro doesn't like the sexual connotations related to the Reaction Inovations products but that's just a guess.

Anyway, the Sweet Beaver or Brush Beaver is a really good bait. Fish it in the same places you'd fish a jig or a worm. I T-rig mine with a 3/16 worm weight most of the time and mainly pitch and flip to targets.
BPS doesn't carry them for that exact reason. "Family store" But with names like Swamp Donkey, Sweet Beaver, Skinny Dipper, and Squeakey Dolphin, I could kinda see why. They do make great baits, though.
Old 01-25-09, 08:03 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

jb clear water is mainly when i use them as a trailer and i always split the tails when i am using them on a jig. i will flip and pitch them a lot more in dirty water than in clear water and i usually have split the tails then too. but reading the article in bassmaster tommy biffle said that if you don't split the tail then the bait will glide better so that is something i plan on trying this year.
Old 01-25-09, 08:27 PM   #14
BassBandit

When I stumble onto a beaver dam in the back of creek it when I use sweet beaver. Hey it works.
Old 01-26-09, 09:31 AM   #15
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

I personally have only thrown them a few times, flippin' in heavy weed mats. It worked quite well and slid through the weeds with ease. All I caught was a warmouth though...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 09:35 AM   #16
Kevin
Administrator

The Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver 4.20 was featured in our Maximum Exposure section.

Sweet Beaver in Maximum Exposure
Old 01-26-09, 10:06 AM   #17
JB

Kevin, do you throw them much?
Old 01-26-09, 10:18 AM   #18
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Kevin, do you throw them much?
I flip/pitch Sweet Beavers sometimes. I fish general creature baits and craws more however. The sweet beaver works well in thick canopied vegetation that is deeper than 2.5-3 ft. It has a unique fall, similar to a tube bait.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 02:56 PM   #19
aikenyounggun

Do you guys ever throw them on a C-rig though?
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 04:36 PM   #20
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

gonna find out...monkey threw a couple of packs of these things in my basket at gander mtn the other day. didn't even know i'd bought 'em till i got home! ol' monkey must have been reading bassmaster magazine
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 05:32 PM   #21
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post

BPS can be HYPOCRITS!!!
But they did'nt mind at all me posing with the Miller lite Bikini team @ the BPS boat show this last month. They also gave me a Camo beer cooley. I love reaction i own there Home Wrecker it is a cigar bait. I like it better than the super spook. You also gotta love there statment: Made in America by US citizens.
Old 01-26-09, 05:40 PM   #22
JB

I know I've stated it before but the sweet beaver always reminded me of the sweeper or reaper looking plastic of yesteryear, except now they've added to it and made it better.
The sweeper would go from side to side on the decent, many river rats threw the dark crawdad with chartruse tips.
I bet even then someone had it figured to split it down the middle for dif action.
Old 01-26-09, 07:19 PM   #23
carolina-rig-01

reaction innovations baits are awesome and that is all there is to it. there are a lot of beaver type baits out now but reaction innovations really is where it started and that is why i buy the sweet beaver and smallie beave instead of knock offs. the knock offs are probably just as good but i think that a smaller company that actually started this type of bait deserves a lot of the business that the other companies are taking from them.

also has anyone used the swamp donkey? i have always loved the bronze eye frog but the plastic on the swamp donkey feels a lot softer to me and that makes me think it could have a better hook up ratio. then again spro didn't start the weedless frog but they did have a hand in getting it to where it is at today so that could also go along with my statement earlier about who should get the business.......now i am confused lol.
Old 01-26-09, 07:20 PM   #24
rangerryan

ive only texas rigged em but they have semi productive for me i just have more productivity out of creature baits and craws.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 11:04 AM   #25
3dkicker

I know a guide who now uses the smallie beaver on a c-rig which is surprising since he makes his living on the lizard.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.