Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 10-28-09, 06:59 PM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default The Reward of Fishing Less Than Ideal Conditions

Another Trip to Lake Union, WA – Tue. 10-28-09

I had the fortune of getting out of work a bit early today. Despite my suspicions that the passing period of cold and rainy weather would likely turn the fish off and lower my chances of success fishing from the shore, I decided to go bass fishing anyway. Because this was not a planned trip, I only had two trunk rods and a motley but limited selection of lures.

Poor weather conditions + Limited lure selection = Slim prospects.

Bring it on! I always welcome a challenge!

3:15 PM
I arrived at about 3:15 and tossed my first cast about 15 minutes later. First up to bat was the Drop Shot. I managed to snag up in less than a minute. Argh!! I hate the when that happens! Put the spinning rig down and tossed the bait caster with a ¼ oz homemade marabou jig. I deemed the first spot nonproductive and moved to the next spot.

Picked up the DS rig again and worked area thoroughly. Snagged up a few more times while using three different plastics. Tried the jig again and lost it on a snag. It was the only one I had. I employed the Joker crankbait next and worked it in a fan shape. Once again, nothing.

4:25 PM
Moved to the third spot and picked up the DS but this time no more messing around. Sniper Snub time, wacky rigged. Got my first hit. It was so subtle and sweet, and although it’s been a long time, just like walking, you never forget. Knew it was a dink, but a hook up is a hook up. I brought it to the surface and let my line go slack. The smallie knew what to do and shook itself off.

4:35 PM

I hook into another one but screwed up and yanked it away.

4:40 PM
Time to wrap up and head back to the car.

4:45 PM
Temptation coaxed me into trying one last spot; the spot I really wanted to try earlier and I succumbed to her siren wale and made a cast. I noticed something wasn’t quite right with my reel so I looked down to see what the problem was (the fluorocarbon line was too hard for me to see). I was having difficulty turning the handle to recover line and I couldn’t determine the culprit. As luck would have it I got a definite tug on the line. It felt like a decent one too. I kept think to myself, “Don’t lose this one, reel malfunction or not. Don’t you dare lose this one!”

I eventually brought it in after some trouble and she was a sight for sore eyes. I took a photo and let her go. As for the reel, it turns out that I managed to get the line tangled around the roller. Weird!

I feel good. Fishing from the shore is just going to become tougher as winter approaches so I will savor this round. Most casts were worked carefully, thoroughly, and with focus. It’s a relief when persistence and putting in the time yields a reward. Two for three under these conditions a small victory for me I will call it.

Conditions

Cold and overcast, with a lot of rain earlier in the week
Gear: Mag-Touch/Curado 201BSF 8# mono, Compre/Rapala 6Sxi 6# Invizx
Lures: Marabou Jig, Senkos, Roboworms, Snubs, Crankbaits

-ib
Old 10-28-09, 09:18 PM   #2
WatterBoy

Hey, way to go, and thanks for sharing the details of your outing!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 09:52 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

love the detail in your moves man. awesum for real. wish i coud remember things like that. nice job.
Old 10-29-09, 08:17 AM   #4
Bassboss

Good read IB, thanks for sharing! Not a bad smallie too! Unfortunately for you, the colder temps will make the fishing better here!

btw - how did you get that pic? Tripod and a timer on the camera?
Old 10-29-09, 09:33 AM   #5
WaffleJaw

I love it when a plan comes together!.
Nice detail...We need more threads like these.
Wish I could see the pic IB....
Old 10-29-09, 11:12 AM   #6
islandbass

Thanks, guys!

Bama,
I am trying to take advantage of my memory before I start losing it.

BBoss,

There was a day care next to the spot I was fishing, right behind me. I was under pressure because the kids wanted to see a "fishie" in their own words. As soon as I pulled the bass out, I ran to show the kids (only about 40') and the aide took the pic with my phone. If not, I would have had to extend one hand out with the bass and take the photo with the other hand, since I am normally alone when I fish.

WJ,

I don't think the fish could have been more than 2 lbs and that would be a generous guess perhaps closer to 1.5 lbs. so you aren't missing much on not seeing the pic. However, a 1.5 smallie knows how to fight.
Old 10-29-09, 11:26 AM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Thanks, guys!

BBoss,

There was a day care next to the spot I was fishing, right behind me. I was under pressure because the kids wanted to see a "fishie" in their own words. As soon as I pulled the bass out, I ran to show the kids (only about 40') and the aide took the pic with my phone. If not, I would have had to extend one hand out with the bass and take the photo with the other hand, since I am normally alone when I fish.
Oh that's cool! I love fishing it this one park. Little kids are always playing there, and get all exsited when I catch a fish! Sometimes I let one use my spinning reel set up with a wacky worm. But only when their's one, if I did it when their was a croud, they's be fighting over it!
Old 10-29-09, 11:28 AM   #8
nofearengineer

I always love to read your fishing stories, IB. You seem to love the process of fishing, rather than just reeling in the hawgs. Your posts are a good reminder that's the way it should be.
Old 10-29-09, 09:57 PM   #9
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
i always love to read your fishing stories, ib. You seem to love the process of fishing, rather than just reeling in the hawgs. Your posts are a good reminder that's the way it should be.

x2.....................
Old 10-30-09, 04:17 AM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Good read IB. Bad weather or not, I would rather hold a fish than a remote control.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.