Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-10, 03:27 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Gut feeling pays off! With almost a 20lb bag!

5/30/10

Had a pretty decent day on the water, only caught 5, but the quality of fish was great!

Conditions:
Air temp - 81* - 83*
Water Depth 4' - 5'
Cover - Blue gill beds, brush, and coon tail.

Self Set limits:
No fish less than 13"
5 fish limit

Started the day fishing a homemade jig, more or less looking for anything "different" on the bottom, naming vegetation, hard bottom or brush. After thoroughly working the jig over about 200 feet of shore line, I find some coon tail on the head of my jig right around a spawning flat (bluegills)! Fished that with a jig some, with no bites. Had a gut feeling before I left to bring my 4" BBZ-1 slow sink. So I garbed it tossed it in my box. After 5 or so casts with it, a 3lber CRUSHES it on the end of a long cast! I originally thought it was it was gonna be a lot bigger they way it was fighting! So I backed up on my drag a little bit (40lb braid, with a 15lb yo-zouri FC leader). When I get her in, she's a fat post spawn female that was gorging on blue gills. 16" length, 14.5" girth - 3.6lbs - total fish 1.

I Start creeping up on the blue gill beds and see some brush sticking out of the water, and make another long cast. 5 feet to the deeper end of the beds. Another one clobbers it. I git er in, and another super fat bass, 18.6" length 17" girth, 5.7lber, total weight now equals 9.3lbs, total fish 2!

Now I'm starting th think I've found a pattern - Around cool tail in about 5 feet of water, round off the deeper ends of the blue gill beds.

Quite a bit later, another hammers it! First thing it goes for the brush, I tighten my drag and get her head up and away from the brush. She make a huge jump and gets 1 foot of air easy! When I get her she's totally engulfed the bait, and it's way in the back of her mouth! I measurer her 19" length, 18" girth, 6.3lbs, total weight now = 15.6lbs, total fish, 3!

Since it still seems like the bait is holding, I keep fishing the same spot, nail another an the Spro. Not sure if this one will make the cut, but it does at 14" length, 10.5 girth, weight, 2.0lbs, total weight = 17.6, total fish 4!

After a while with no fish, I move on, and plan no coming back later. When I get to the other side of the lake it's windy and the water is muddy, but there's coon tail. I put on a shallow diving crank with a loud rattle, and starting fishing. After 15 minutes, a dink grabs it, it does not make the minimum, and I toss her back.

I got back to the beds since I've been to the other spot for a while, I decide to keep the crankbait on. First cast there, one picks it up! Another 14 incher, 10" girth though. 1.9lbs. Total weight now 19.5lbs, 5!

Shortly after, my mom calls the cell and I gotta head home! All in all a very good day, I take off with a big grin on my face and some good memories! I've got 3 fish over 5lb so far this year, two over 6lbs, 95 fish total! I'm doing pretty good this year compared to last, also 6 mouths gone and almost 100 fish! I think I'll do better this year since last summer was a bust for me!

Sorry, no pics!

Last edited by Bassboss; 05-30-10 at 05:12 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 04:45 PM   #2
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice fish BassBoss!!!
Old 05-30-10, 08:38 PM   #3
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

So you beat my PB twice today
Great day boss, very impressive!!!
Old 05-31-10, 04:19 PM   #4
bassinbob

Nice going boss. You do have some heavy bass down there compaired to up here.
Old 06-01-10, 11:09 AM   #5
islandbass

As they might say in the UK, "Jolly good show, boss!"

I enjoyed the play by play of your report. Going with your gut is usually a good instinct to heed.
Old 06-01-10, 11:29 PM   #6
pink_hoody
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
5/30/10

Had a pretty decent day on the water, only caught 5, but the quality of fish was great!

Conditions:
Air temp - 81* - 83*
Water Depth 4' - 5'
Cover - Blue gill beds, brush, and coon tail.

Self Set limits:
No fish less than 13"
5 fish limit

Started the day fishing a homemade jig, more or less looking for anything "different" on the bottom, naming vegetation, hard bottom or brush. After thoroughly working the jig over about 200 feet of shore line, I find some coon tail on the head of my jig right around a spawning flat (bluegills)! Fished that with a jig some, with no bites. Had a gut feeling before I left to bring my 4" BBZ-1 slow sink. So I garbed it tossed it in my box. After 5 or so casts with it, a 3lber CRUSHES it on the end of a long cast! I originally thought it was it was gonna be a lot bigger they way it was fighting! So I backed up on my drag a little bit (40lb braid, with a 15lb yo-zouri FC leader). When I get her in, she's a fat post spawn female that was gorging on blue gills. 16" length, 14.5" girth - 3.6lbs - total fish 1.

I Start creeping up on the blue gill beds and see some brush sticking out of the water, and make another long cast. 5 feet to the deeper end of the beds. Another one clobbers it. I git er in, and another super fat bass, 18.6" length 17" girth, 5.7lber, total weight now equals 9.3lbs, total fish 2!

Now I'm starting th think I've found a pattern - Around cool tail in about 5 feet of water, round off the deeper ends of the blue gill beds.

Quite a bit later, another hammers it! First thing it goes for the brush, I tighten my drag and get her head up and away from the brush. She make a huge jump and gets 1 foot of air easy! When I get her she's totally engulfed the bait, and it's way in the back of her mouth! I measurer her 19" length, 18" girth, 6.3lbs, total weight now = 15.6lbs, total fish, 3!

Since it still seems like the bait is holding, I keep fishing the same spot, nail another an the Spro. Not sure if this one will make the cut, but it does at 14" length, 10.5 girth, weight, 2.0lbs, total weight = 17.6, total fish 4!

After a while with no fish, I move on, and plan no coming back later. When I get to the other side of the lake it's windy and the water is muddy, but there's coon tail. I put on a shallow diving crank with a loud rattle, and starting fishing. After 15 minutes, a dink grabs it, it does not make the minimum, and I toss her back.

I got back to the beds since I've been to the other spot for a while, I decide to keep the crankbait on. First cast there, one picks it up! Another 14 incher, 10" girth though. 1.9lbs. Total weight now 19.5lbs, 5!

Shortly after, my mom calls the cell and I gotta head home! All in all a very good day, I take off with a big grin on my face and some good memories! I've got 3 fish over 5lb so far this year, two over 6lbs, 95 fish total! I'm doing pretty good this year compared to last, also 6 mouths gone and almost 100 fish! I think I'll do better this year since last summer was a bust for me!

Sorry, no pics!

Not to rain on your "gut feeling" parade, but where did you get these weights? By the weight formula, they're all off.

16" by 14.5" = 3.1
18.6" by 17" = 4.9
19" by 18" = 5.4
14" by 10.5" = 1.8
14" by 10" = 1.6

For a total of: 16.8lbs.

pink_hoody
pink_hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 09:40 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

LMAO @ Pink Hoody!

Either way, sounds like a fun day, and most of the fish are better than any I've caught so far this year.

BB
Old 06-04-10, 04:02 PM   #8
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sounds like you did good either way, congrats bud.
Old 06-05-10, 09:00 AM   #9
gottafish
BassFishin.Com Member

Sounds like a great day fishing!!
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 04:22 PM   #10
Bassboss

Thanks for the complements guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_hoody View Post

Not to rain on your "gut feeling" parade, but where did you get these weights? By the weight formula, they're all off.

16" by 14.5" = 3.1
18.6" by 17" = 4.9
19" by 18" = 5.4
14" by 10.5" = 1.8
14" by 10" = 1.6

For a total of: 16.8lbs.

pink_hoody
Right here! http://www.bassresource.com/bassfish...alculator.html
Old 06-05-10, 04:32 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:

Oooh pink-hoody, burn!!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 07:55 PM   #12
pink_hoody
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:

Bassboss, I have checked my work, and by the standard L x L x G / 1200 weight formula, all of those weights AND that calculator are wrong. If I were you, I would complain to whomever runs that site about how their calculator is wrong and how it made you look like a dumb*ss. I cannot comprehend why anyone would use a weight calculator with catfish and carp in the same category as bass anyways.

Jrob78, I do not take offense at this "burn" seeing as it is coming from someone who obviously does not have any sense of honesty or is just ignorant enough to use a weight calculator that is obviously lacking validity.

pink_hoody
pink_hoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.