Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-21-12, 03:39 PM   #1
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default hds and structurescan ?

I'm looking at upgrading my electronics, and I'm wondering what the differences are in the gen 1 and gen 2 products? I just saw the lss-2 for the first time, but wasn't sure how it worked with the gen 1 compared to the gen2.

I don't have the extra money right now so I'm going to sell some things and come up with about $1600 so I'm thinking I'll get the structurescan for now and use my dads hds 7 and partner's hds 10 when we go together and save for my own hds unit.

Would I be better off saving money and getting used gen 1 stuff or is the gen 2 stuff worth waiting and saving for?
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 03:41 PM   #2
Mumpy

I didn't own the Gen 1 Stuff so I can't compare the two but from what I've been told is the Gen2 is much faster. I can tell you from my experience with Gen 2 is I've never owned a unit that comes close to this thing. It amazes me every time I take it out on the lake.
Old 05-21-12, 08:29 PM   #3
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Compared to Gen 1, Gen 2 units have a bigger processor, have the StructureMap feature (overlays your sidescan as a transparency layer on top of your Chart), and have approximately 30 more MB of internal memory. The processor speed of Gen 2 results in much quicker unit response to Menu/Keypad selections.

The LSS-2 works equally well with either Gen 1 or Gen 2.

If it were my money, I'd buy new Gen 2 units.
Old 05-21-12, 11:00 PM   #4
b.a.s.17

Todd is the side imaging picture supposed to be better? It looked like if you were looking at the side image of a bridge you could actually see whats under the bridge. I noticed that my dads unit can even take a while to update our position when fishing around structure. Would the quicker processor help with that too?
Old 05-22-12, 02:12 PM   #5
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

The LSS-2 will provide a clearer image and has increased range when compared to the LSS-1.

Regarding position, the Gen 2 won't help with that, but running the 4000 external antennas will, as they have a 5X/sec update rate compared to 1X/sec from the internal antennas.
Old 05-22-12, 02:24 PM   #6
b.a.s.17

Thanks Todd sorry I have one more question what is the difference in the 83/200 and the 50/200?
Old 05-22-12, 06:43 PM   #7
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

33-joke

200 kHz (kilohertz). Some are dual-frequency capable, meaning they can use both 50 and 200 kHz transducers. And a few new models are dual-search capable, allowing for both 83 and 200 kHz operation. Typically, high frequency (200 or 192 kHz) sonar units provide the best resolution and definition of structure and targets. They excel at showing minute details of the underwater world. 50 and 83 kHz frequencies have much greater depth penetration capability, but show less definition.
Basically lower means more penetration deeper than higher and not quite as clear a view.So 50 can normally read deeper than 83 and both deeper than 200.
My opinion 83 and 200 are more commonly used,im anxious to see what he says

Last edited by lilmule; 05-22-12 at 06:50 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 09:05 PM   #8
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Good link with information

http://http://www.lowrance.com/Suppo...nsducer-Guide/
Old 05-22-12, 09:57 PM   #9
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.s.17 View Post
Thanks Todd sorry I have one more question what is the difference in the 83/200 and the 50/200?
You want the 83/200, and I'd suggest running it in 200 kHz (20 degree cone) as it provides the best definition and target separation. 83 has a wider cone (40 degree) for more bottom coverage at the expense of detail.

50/200 is designed for deep, saltwater fishing (> 300 feet). 50 (35 degree cone) penetrates deep water better but at the cost of target resolution, and the 200 portion of this ducer only has a 12 degree cone which means less bottom coverage.
Old 05-23-12, 01:00 AM   #10
b.a.s.17

Sounds good thanks for all the help Todd!
Old 05-29-12, 03:19 PM   #11
b.a.s.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
The LSS-2 will provide a clearer image and has increased range when compared to the LSS-1.

Regarding position, the Gen 2 won't help with that, but running the 4000 external antennas will, as they have a 5X/sec update rate compared to 1X/sec from the internal antennas.
Todd I have a 3000 external antenna right now how does that compare to the internal antenna in the hds? Would I be better off to hook up the hds to the 3000 than to use the internal antenna?
Old 05-30-12, 12:17 PM   #12
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

The 3000 and the internal HDS antenna both update at 1X/sec and perform equally well. But, you can better yourself (minimize position error) with the 3000 by putting it directly above your respective transducers.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.