Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-03-12, 08:10 AM   #1
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Bass cat trailer clearance

I am thinking about a bass cat Sabre FTD. My one concern is the clearance under the spare tire. My drive way is on a hill and when I push (I have a trailer hitch mounted to the front of my truck) my boat up and then over the side walk, that become a very low point. I need 8.5" to clear. No boats in my area to go check on. Please advise. Thank in advance.
ub2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-12, 09:29 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First you need to learn to back a trailer. You may loose clearance due to the difference in hitch height between the back of the vehicle and the front. The angle of the hitch due to the difference between the front wheel/hitch and rear wheel/hitch may also affect the height as the spare carrier crosses over the sidewalk. Not to mention the PITA of dropping the trailer to switch from rear to front. Do you also back down the drive with the trailer connected to the front hitch? And if the spare tire carrier bottoming out is the only issue, you can always relocate the spare. I would not let that tiny issue stop me from buying a boat I really wanted. If it's close you could also try a hitch with less drop, that would increase your clearance.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-12, 12:55 PM   #3
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Hitches are identical height. Long narrow twisting drive. 3 minutes to switch from back to front. I am sure I have the same clearance when I pull my boat down drive, it's just that I am moe apt to notice it when pushing it up. Still would like to know the clearance!
Old 09-03-12, 07:42 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

The spare tire on my BC Sabre is located between the trailer frame and the boat. It might a matter of getting a receiver like the 4x4s have and flipping it over to get your boat higher.

Is it a single or dual axle?
Old 09-04-12, 08:41 AM   #5
lilmule

Yes replace ball hitch or receiver think Z or L shaped raising it from lazy ___|,couple of inches possible just by changing hitch or receiver.Or simply a step in it __--.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-12, 07:01 PM   #6
ub2m4
BassFishin.Com Member

Bubba, any chance you could give me the clearance number on that spare tire
Old 09-06-12, 07:45 PM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Sorry man, I caught myself going outside to get it for you the other day and I remembered I had took the boat and stored it for the storm. I am back out at work now, so it will be another 2 weeks before I see her again.

It will be different none the less though for the ball height. I use the drop down hitch for my 3/4 ton truck. It levels the trailer better than the straight hitch.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.