Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 10-18-06, 03:07 PM   #1
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Need help deciding on a New Boat!!

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new bass boat. I currently have an 02 skeeter that runs well and has plenty of room, however it is tippy as hell. Me and my pop are about 220 lbs a piece and if one of us shifts to one side or the other, it dam near throws the other into the water (happend once in feb. very cold). I'm looking for a speedy, big, great fishing, dependable, steady boat. Right now my list goes:

1. Blazer 210 dc
2. Stratos 201 xl (I forgot to add it in before, thanks for reminding me)
3. Nitro 911 cdc
4. Triton 21 dc
5. Ranger Z22 (last because slowest)

At this though point though, price isn't nearly as big a deal as fishability (ie, deck size, stability, layout efficiency, etc). I realize all these are relatively the same boat as far as size goes but the hull design's make them all handle differently. I want to start fishing more tornaments so I need a big rig with plenty of storage. So, now I leave it to you guys. Please help! Any information is good information.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Jolly

Last edited by Jolly; 10-18-06 at 06:01 PM.
Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 04:46 PM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

if you can,get a nitro 929 cdx,get it! the triton is good also.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-06, 05:10 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

blazer's are fast but narrow and quite tippy.. nitro's have handlin issues over 60 mph. tritoon's are ok but i totally dislike the seats and the ride sucks..-think bicycle at 60 on rail road tracks-..the ranger well you want stablity here you go but the new z series has a few problems. #1 most handles on the storage compartment are easily busted. #2 yeah ranger fixed the slow issue in the z and made the ride almost excatly like a tritoon..
now me i choose a stratos for a reason..

zooker
Old 10-19-06, 08:23 AM   #4
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

you might want to consider a gambler.plenty of room,stable as all git out,smooth ride and fast.and in my opinion a very intimidating looking ride.
Old 10-19-06, 03:00 PM   #5
Jolly

Thanks guys,

I don't know about the gambler's. Even though the boat isn't about looks, I really just don't like their look. I dunno why.

Anybody ever fish outa the bass cat or pro craft. Fishiability?

Thanks,

Jolly
Old 10-19-06, 04:57 PM   #6
zooker

procrafts are very stable fisablity is out standin..

cats are fast and very well built..
imo when i buy another new boat it will be a very tough toss up between stratos and bass cats..

the only reason i did not buy a cat to start with is the crappy moter options..

zooker
Old 10-23-06, 05:42 PM   #7
garry_3000

Hey dont know what size sketter you got but I have an z250 with 250 yamaha I weigh 300 and my pop weighs 220 and no problems with mine cant even tell when he moves, tops out at 77mph just fine for me . Now I will say this my father had an tr21 with an 225 merc very very un stable he traded it in for an Ranger z20 with 225 etec runs 71 mph on gps and very stable.
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 05:50 PM   #8
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
Even though the boat isn't about looks,

I SAY BULL!!!

zooker
Old 10-23-06, 10:13 PM   #9
Jolly

Hehe zooker!

Ok, if I'm gonna spend several thousand dollars for a boat, looks are somewhat important. However, I still say fishability and stability are going to be more important. How bout, I just don't like the gamblers! Everthing else looks good! Sorry bassintom!

I have a 02 sx 190, and it not stable at all !! it'll run 68 with just me in it though with a yamaha 150. I'll take 80 or 90 mph though.

Ok, keep em comin! Still got plenty of time to make a decision!

Thanks,

Jolly
Old 10-24-06, 01:47 PM   #10
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

everybody has their opinions about boats.and there are many fine boats made.you just don't know what you're missing if you haven't been in a gambler.i've been in procraft and i was scared s***less in rough water on cayuga.i will never,ever ride in a procraft again.even though it could have been the operators fault,i'll still pass on procraft.
Old 10-24-06, 05:04 PM   #11
Jolly

Ya, I've heard that procraft and nitro's have hull problems and their customer service is crap. Anybody had any bad experiences with them or any other boats.

Thanks,

Jolly
Old 10-24-06, 05:17 PM   #12
fishinfortune

the rangers are great the only miner problem i ve seen is their a little slow but thats just me. they still have alittle getup and go
fishinfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 05:59 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Get a 3-4 year old ranger, and have Fastlaser work on it for you. He'll make it go about 2000mph LOL. I have fished from several different brands of boats, being a non-boater in most tourneys. Rangers are my first choice for stability, and I don't care about going 70 MPH. I also like the Stratos's as a comfortable and stable boat. Obviously the bigger the better IMO, except when you are trying to fish inbetween docks. Get what you like, I've not ridden in the new rangers, but have heard the speed is now there, but to get it, the ride isn't what it used to be. IMO you get either a stable fishing boat, that's a little slower, or a fast rocket that ins't nearly as stable, the trade offs are up to you.

Lizards
Old 10-28-06, 08:09 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Hmmm some strange choices you have going there Jolly. First you have to realize that boats are like cars they all have there good and bad points. Some are built to run like a rapped ape and some are made for grandpa. The trick is to decide what you want MORE of......speed, fishability,storage or whatever. PLEASE stay away from the nitro's....very unstable at speeds starting about 62 or 63. Tritons great platforms plenty of storage but beat the hell outta your kidneys when running hard on rough water.Stratos a GREAT boat in just about every catagory. Blazers good boats in all catagorys hard to find dealers and I dont know if they resolved the hull issues they had a few years back. Rangers well they cant be beat except when it comes to all out running. Stay away from the z series. The 188 and 198 VS are fantastic boats and run very well. Ranger has finally strted to make faster hulls. What type of water do you normally fish?? Big waters with lots of rough water or smaller secluded waters. Makes a difference in your decision. Basscats I have to say probably fill the needs and wants of most of todays anglers. Fast, stable,EXCELLANT customer service can have your choicxe of motors now, lots of storage space etc etc I can go on and on but I wouold sound like a basscat owner which I am not right now.My choices if I could by new right now would be in this order a Bullet 20XRD, A BassCat Cougar, a 198VS Ranger or a Champion 209 or the Charger 498FoxFire (there aint a nickels worth of difference between these 2 boats except the price)
Old 10-28-06, 11:08 PM   #15
Jolly

Hey thanks Laser. Good info. I have a local stratos dealer hear who I bought my skeeter through and the boat before that so I think I will see what I can get. I usually fish large rough water so stability is #1. What's wrong with the z series. If I was going to buy a ranger, I think I would buy one. If I shouldn't please elaborate.

Thanks again,

Jolly
Old 10-29-06, 08:53 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

Well as much as the Z-Series looks fantastic they are having some construction problems. NO hull problems. Just things such as the latch's breaking , the hinge systems etc..etc... If you really want a rough water boat that handles and turns like its on rails, the fit and finish are FANTASTIC, customer service is #1, get any motor you want on it (course I would opt for the black one YES I AM PARTIAL) the fishing platform is VERY big at least give a Champion a test drive. The 209 Champion if I were buying a new big water boat would be my number 1 choice due to the handling and overall performance of the boat. A 209 with a 225 Pro XS properly set up and propped out will run mid 70's tourney loaded, be VERY easy on your kidneys and back and keep you high and dry in even the worst weather.

By the way what length boat is a question I shoulda asked are you in the market for. I have a tone of info on just about any rig you want. As you can tell or ask some of the guys on here boats are my 3rd love in life.
Old 10-29-06, 10:23 AM   #17
Jolly

Well I hope fish is your number 1 love, lol. I'm looking primarily for 20-22 ft. I like the champion's but I just don't have access to them. There isn't a dealer around here so just to look at one first hand I'd have to drive 300-400 miles. Speekin of Champions, If they keep you high and dry, can they get you in the shallow water. In the spawn, we are fishin in inches of water sometimes so least amount of draft w/ optimal stability and storage.

BTW I saw the new latch system on the z's a little closer online and it even looked rickety on their little video. Cool innovation and all, but I think they are trying to get too fancy.

Thanks for the info, I will start lookin at the champion's and ranger vs boats. You think these are really any better than the stratos or basscat?

Thanks again,

Jolly
Old 10-29-06, 01:21 PM   #18
zooker

seen a nitro 911 due a spin out at about 50mph this morning not pretty the guy slung 4 rods reels into the drink-they were strapped down.

zooker
Old 10-29-06, 01:44 PM   #19
Jolly

Thanks, looked at your other post. Not going to get a nitro. I'm dangerous as it is.

Thanks,

Jolly
Old 10-29-06, 09:27 PM   #20
1FASTLASER

That be right Jolly. Fishin,My 2 Kids and BOATS, BOATS and did I mention BOATS. LMAO.....Now that I know that you fish shallow water such as I do you definatley need to stay away from the Champion. It does take more water to float here. Now the Stratos enters the picture. A 19 or 20ft Stratos will do much better MUCH MUCH better than the Champions Rangers atc as far as getting up close and personal. Stratos builds a VERY good boat,handles the water pretty damn well and fishes fantastic AND if setup correctly will run wit da best of em. MY only draw back is finding a dealer that will hang that big black mota on her hiney. Find that and I feel along with a hydraulic jackplate and you will be happier dan a pig in chit. Stratos has come along way wit there boats and I have fished outta the newer ones and had a helluva grin on my face after taking the wheel and puttin her through the paces. The fishing platform is one of the best and the setup on the electrical wiring and livewell systems are just as I would do it if I built the boat. The last stratos I run had a hopped up 140 rude on her and she was a handful back then. Now the stratos begs for more power as long as you keep her flying level. Sorry you got me talking boats and as you can see not only am I opinionated I am also long winded as well. Hey if you need anymo info here is my email addy.....wareagle50@hotmail.com...If I dont answer right away dont dispear. I have limited puter time. Maybe zook or some of the ones that know me will splain LUCY....LOL
Old 10-29-06, 09:43 PM   #21
Jolly

I appreciate it laser and everyone... I still have a lot of time on my hands.... maybe I should get a laser... hmmm! Prob not! Anyway, keep em comin I am always open to opinions. No point in buying a new boat now only got about 2-4 weeks of fishin left before its time to winterize for a few months.

Thanks again and keep em comin'!!

Jolly
Old 10-29-06, 10:08 PM   #22
1FASTLASER

Well beleive it or not now is the time to get serious about buying. Boat sales slow down till about mid to late February Then the prices go back to a firm price. Alot of the times at this time of the year you can haggle on the price and usually also get some extra goodies you normally dont get.
Old 10-29-06, 10:17 PM   #23
Jolly

The dealership I will likely go through has sold my pop boats for 15 years and me my 1st and 2nd boat. I've already talked to the owner and we go fishing with him regularly so I think (hope) he will give as good a deal as he has on the last 2. If he won't I just won't take him fishin anymore.... good business man - crappy fisherman!! LOL!

Jolly
Old 11-06-06, 11:38 AM   #24
Vabass22

I would go with a Stratos. But thats just me.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-06, 10:48 AM   #25
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassintom View Post
you might want to consider a gambler.plenty of room,stable as all git out,smooth ride and fast.and in my opinion a very intimidating looking ride.
The Gambler board on the BBC site reveals some quality issues. Jus' sayin'.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.