Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-09, 09:42 AM   #1
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Line breaks.

Sorry to rehash here, but I just lost a big one this morning to a line break. Despite my frustration, I have a two questions and I'll try to be brief. 20-25 lb power pro braided (I cant remember exactly) on a leader of 12 lb berkely trilene xl. My double-uni held up (thanks BB) and it did not break at the knot. I had just put the leader on the evening prior. I've been careful to check my leader for abrasion pretty much each cast since I usually end up having to clear muck, leaves, etc. from it anyway. My line was free from nicks or wear. A nice one jumped on and as he started to fight and pull away, My line snapped clean. I'll admit that the spool I pulled my leader from is at least a year or two old. I made a similar post and someone mentioned going to berkley xt. I'm beginning to wonder if I should go with something other than berkley. So, first queston, should I quit berkley and go with something else, is the xt just a marketing thing?

Because of the line breaks at my leader, I almost want to give up on the leader altogether. I'm sure if I do that the line break problem ends there. I'm fishing in fairly murky conditions where visibility is maybe a foot. Can I just ditch the leader? Does everyone use leaders for their braided when fishing plastics? I guess the best way is to fish without a leader and see what happens. Braided line is moss green btw. Also, got the big guys attention with a t-rigged yum dinger junebug. Anyone else notice those things smell like licorice?

My fishing season is primarily catches between 2-4 lbs. I get a handful of big ones each season. Most, like today, I lose. I don't want to lose them. If I can overcome the line snaps, this could be a banner year.

So much for being brief.

Heartbroken,
VB.
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.