Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-07, 08:04 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Hand Pouring

Hey all. I wanna get started on painting and doing stuff with lures. How did you guys who paint and hand pour baits get started on it? (Both soft plastics and hard plastics)

Thanks

PS - I'm guessing it's the one on the bottom, but which is the correct way to rig a superfluke? If it's the bottom, now I understand why a 4/0 would be better.
(Sorry for the quality on this pic)
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 08:25 PM   #2
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Cant help you on painting/pouring, but the bottom one is how you rig a superfluke. Just be sure to bury that hook point into the plastic, and not let it sit out like that.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 08:49 PM   #3
jooleyen

Thanks Tex. I just left it out for demonstration.
Old 02-14-07, 08:53 PM   #4
collegebum
BassFishin.Com Member

Using the bottom rigging you can change the way the fluke acts when it is twitched. If you insert the hook just under the nose it will cause it to rise quickly when you jerk it lightly. You can experiment with hooking at other angles to see how it changes the action (twitching left, right, etc.)
collegebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 10:07 PM   #5
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Go to www.lurecraft.com and get the starter kit for pouring soft plastics, hard baits are a little more involved, I recommend picking one and sticking with it for a while, as they are all expensive
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 10:55 PM   #6
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Both of those rigging pics on the fluke are correct. I rig them both ways. The good part about the top pics, is less plastic to get through on hooksets. Try out both ways, and I'll bet you hookup ratio goes up with rigging it the top pic way. If you rig it the bottom pic way, don't stick the hook into the plastic, just barely skin it. That way you got a good chance of not having to go through the whole plastic.

Lizards
Old 02-14-07, 11:40 PM   #7
JRL
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Do some reading on Silicones and/or 2 part silicone. You can use it to copy ANYTHING. Even a course rock to give you an idea of what it wont stick to.

My point being is that if you can carve wood, then you can copy that plug you made from wood using silicone. From there youll have a mold that you can now pour anything you want into. Even melted lead if you buy the right silicone.

For some good starter tutorials on using silicones and pourable plastics go to www.freemansupply.com and look up there video library. Its good stuff.

Something you wont need (but they mention), is a vacuum degassing machine. Not necessary unless your doing high run production and absolute perfection is needed.
Old 02-15-07, 12:45 AM   #8
Bassinkid

how do you hand pour your own baits? do you just mix sentless baits with your homemade scent or what? and how do you make the color?
Bassinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 09:14 AM   #9
dampeoples

You heat the plastic component, called Plastisol to 350*, add color, and pour in a mold. Whatever you do, don't add 'homemade scent' to hot plastic, or you'll be needing to call 911.

here is a tutorial
Old 02-15-07, 10:58 PM   #10
jooleyen

Thanks a bunch all.
Old 02-15-07, 11:21 PM   #11
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

jool
do not think it is cheaper by no means.. this is the reason why mass production company like zoom are as big as they are.. hand poured baits are better over all quality. yes.. but with that quality you get a softer bait that cost about twice as much as a mass produced bait.. and it last about the same amount of fish.-which is normally 2-

zooker
Old 02-16-07, 04:50 PM   #12
jooleyen

No. I don't. I just want to get started, so maybe I can make something of it someday.
Old 02-17-07, 12:16 AM   #13
Vabass22

If you are wanting hand poured baits, I would go to a company like MMIB, b/c doing it yourself, is expensive, dangerous, and requires ALOT of equipment. If you want to make your own baits, I would suggest get a Dremel, and a piece of balsa!
Old 02-17-07, 12:20 AM   #14
dampeoples

There's nothing like catching a fish on something you made!! You can get started for as low as $45, but that's just the beginning, and it is dangerous, but so is a Dremel and a piece of wood, think of the splinters!

It is addictive, though, $45 gets you a little bit of plastic, a few colors, and no glitter, but you'll want more, and more, and more You can also make your own molds, or get them as low as $10 each, it'll take a long time to start seeing the benefits of pouring your own, but it's also a great way to spend the winter. PM if you want more help, or need more options.
Old 02-17-07, 01:39 AM   #15
jooleyen

Thanks DamnPeoples.
Old 02-17-07, 07:49 AM   #16
crankybait

Whatever you do, make sure it is ventilated. And don't be thinking this will come cheap... I got into hardbait making thinking ok I'll be spending about 80 bucks. I've spent well over 300 so far. And I still need an airbrush compressor...
Old 02-20-07, 10:52 AM   #17
mymomisbecky

You can look me up anytime for questions etc regarding hand poured baits. My site is http://www.mymomisbecky.com

Also, you can get to making some stiks etc pretty cheap, but trust me, its anything but. You will fall hard its addicting as heck. You just dont get the options you want from that starter kit.
Good luck and ask away
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.