Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-08, 01:35 PM   #26
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My family used soft drink and coke interchangeably.

Walmart is entertainment for us.

There is a peanut festival in Dothan. Enterprise has a statue in its town square of a giant bronze boll weevil.

Kids get off for school for opening day of deer season. Its not on the calendar cause the yankees print the calenders and the school superintendents cant read anyway, but if a kid doesnt show to class on that day - nobody questions his absense - or hers for that matter.

Kids also get off the monday after the iron bowl if their team lost. If their team won, it is normally excused if they come in a little hungover.

Possums also sleep in your attic and eat in your kitchen. We had some get in the airducts, they would appear randomnly in every room in the house. Its ok, they taste like chicken and are comparativly clean next to the cat.
Old 05-21-08, 01:46 PM   #27
WTL

PS, the above map is also the authority on whether or not your state can be rightly considered southern. As you see, Virginia has been totally lost to the yankee invaders. Most of Florida, save a few counties in the panhandle and in the center has also been colonized. North Carolina also has mixed tendencies. Kentucky, Indiana, New Mexico, and Oklahoma have some fine people in their states and are quasi southern. Missouri is corny and not of the south at all even though they sometimes claim it. If you've ever ate at lamberts, you will know what I mean by that - although the food is good.
Old 05-21-08, 02:24 PM   #28
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wow, somebody spent way too much time compiling that map.
Huh, just saw the sample size...120,464 isn't statistically representative of the country, I don't believe. It's only .04% of the total population...
Ok, so I thought way too hard about that one...forgive me, I'm on drugs. It is pretty interesting, though.

What's up with that one county in northern California?
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 02:45 PM   #29
WTL

There are about 3143 counties in America per google.

Divide the sample size of 120,464 gets you around 38 people asked per county, although that number isnt a garantee.

So, given that the sample is only a handful per county, that probably accounts for the fact that there is 1 cool county in the state of California that refers to a coke as a coke. Statistical anomlies.
Old 05-21-08, 03:23 PM   #30
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

And to think, some company's R&D spent millions on this study.

BB
Old 05-21-08, 03:31 PM   #31
1/4 stick

We always called coke-coke, sprite-sprite, pepsi-pepsi, and dr. pepper was dr. pepper..etc..etc. But if you really want to fit in around here ya drink Mt.Dew, the only cool drink. I use to date a girl a couple towns over that was from Pennsilvainia. She asked me to give her a pop once, darned near got arrested and her daddy was quite ill with me. hehehe
(just joking, I never hit women)

We make our nanner samiches with mayo, and think peanut butter and nanner samiches is nasty. Does that make me a yankee or a confederate?
I might add that I believe the war aint over, south gonna rise again, we just been foolin' you yankees till we get reinforcments built up.
1/4 stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 05:10 PM   #32
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Meijers.

BB
Don't ya hate that!?!?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 05:34 PM   #33
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

haha thats pretty much true.. theres this new girl.. well she started this year but anyway she was from ohio and first day of school she wanted to know my name, and where the pop machine is.. now its the coke machine and it has vitamin water,water,and poweraide in it lol .. no coke
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 05:47 PM   #34
WTL

Someone mentioned mountain dew -

Back in middle school, this would have been the mid-90s, there was this rumor going around that mountain dew caused one's dick to shrink. Permenently.

I always thought the soft drink advertising execs who started that rumor perhaps came up with the most effective negative advertising campaign in history.
Old 05-21-08, 05:54 PM   #35
Jim80

i've always only heard of people refer to sodas by thier names as well until i met a girl from chicago a while back and she called it pop and wtl whats with the hate on northerners man ?
Old 05-21-08, 06:01 PM   #36
WTL

You probably shouldnt take much of what I say seriously, even though I don't remember saying that I hate northerners. Just yankees.

Oopps, my bad, I meant to say "shouldn't". It aint been my day.

Last edited by WTL; 05-21-08 at 07:48 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 07:21 PM   #37
Jim80

thought that was the same thing but my bad and where would you draw the line between northerner and a yankee ? is it location based or based on the way someone behaves ? i'm not trying to break your stones , i'm just trying to properly understand your terminology so as not to make a incorrect statement again .

Last edited by Jim80; 05-21-08 at 07:40 PM.
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 07:47 PM   #38
WTL

You're thinking too hard man, I'm just joking around. Yankee is an undefinable word given that in the past it meant merely american, then during the war of northern aggression was used as a term for a citizen of the Union, and since as been considered mostly to mean northerner although it is also applied to south floridians or left coasters; you just cant define it too easily. And i don't have a problem with any group in general, be it yankees or illegals or afghans or the french. Maybe tennessee football boosters, but that is more a personal grudge.
Old 05-21-08, 08:06 PM   #39
MrPhotographer06

haha the rumor with mountain dew was it shortened your sperm count lol
Old 05-21-08, 08:14 PM   #40
1/4 stick

Niether roumor is true.
Old 05-21-08, 08:15 PM   #41
1/4 stick

It does affect yuor seplling thghou
Old 05-21-08, 08:45 PM   #42
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you drink a lot of mountain dew you will notice one side effect. And that is, a yellow liquid will flow out of your P****.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 08:54 PM   #43
MrPhotographer06

that reminds me.. who got this email?

" Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. "

Old 05-21-08, 09:13 PM   #44
Jim80

any football grudge is legit just on cause alone , but point taken on the yankee thing i was not looking to make a point for the sake of argument but more the context of a phrase . in general the term term is just not used in ct and i don't think i can ever remember hearing it in normal conversation unless it referenced the new york yankees but i guess that is a geographical thing anyway no offense meant or intended
Old 05-21-08, 09:18 PM   #45
Jim80

and up here the mountain dew rumor was said to lower your sperm count due to the yellow number 5 dye i even had a science teacher in high school go to the point of showing the class how that was impossible .
Old 05-21-08, 09:44 PM   #46
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
that reminds me.. who got this email?

" Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. "

Yea I got that one awhile back. I thought it was right nifty myself.
Old 05-21-08, 10:19 PM   #47
MrPhotographer06

that pretty much tells my family's history.. the confed statue in columbia,sc is my great great uncle
Old 05-21-08, 10:27 PM   #48
bamabassman

jim80. to us here in da south, a yankee is a northerner who moves here for awhile and always talks bout how slow and dumb we are. now a dam yankee is a northerner who moves here and stays. hahaha, we really do like everyone who comes here. i have always quoted an old comedian BROTHER DAVE GARDNER. he always said "you ever heard of anyone retiring to the north?" oh, and a dam yankee..he moves here and talks down to us here and always asks why we don't make anymore money and we should do this and we should do that. i had a dam yankee for a uncle (first marrege, her uncle-in-law). he was so.....so.... i can't even describe how bad he was. he came from chigaco. loved his sone, jr. was a hoot. easy going and fun to be around. but uncle frank....uuuugggghhh. he thought we couldn't do anything right. all our houses were built wrong.... and it just goes on and on. but i really don't think that you have a problem. you are one of us southerners. you're just in the wrong part of the country my friend. hahaha. come on home buddy, we'll help you get settled back in.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 10:29 PM   #49
bamabassman

one more thing... i only drink the real thing and my dews. the real thing is of course...coca-cola. wife says i am a coke-aholic, hahahahaha.
Old 05-21-08, 10:40 PM   #50
bamabassman

i almost forgot...hehehe. there are SOME of us here in bama (alabama) who are't smart at all. see they like orange, blue and orange, some like a different color of red too. they ae the ones that don't really fit in bama, hahaha crimson is the only color that is right. if you bleed and you ain't bleeding crimson, you are dead to us, hahahaha. ROOL TIDE ROLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.