Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-13-08, 09:50 PM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default Tough, Tough Day!

Well, boys, today was toughie!

My father and I entered the water sometime around 5:30AM and figured we'd head straight to the creek to see if she was puttin' out some mud since last nights rain. No mud but we figured we'd hit it anyway. I started with the Strike King Red Eye Shad and dad was throwin' an old Bagley topwater propbait. Each lure was casted numerous times to no avial.

Sun starts to break the horizon around 6:05 so I figure I'll sling the new Bandit 300, "Bluegill", I picked up at BPS yesterday night. First cast produces a 6" bluegill. Go figure!

As the day progresses we work the banks casting cranks and PNJ's, again to no avail.

Around 7:45 BigBassin144 shows... Finally! Get on the TM's and chat for a while then head over to the little underwater point I know of. With four people fishing, I finally hook a small 8" bass in a Nemesis Stick, "Watermelon-Red". Dad also gets two in two casts on an old Heddon Clatter Tad.

Few more hours of fightin' the wind produces no more fish so we decide to pack it up around 11:30. As we're loadin' up BigBassin rolls up and said he got one on the drop-shot so he stayed a little longer searchin' the depths. As of that, I have no clue. I'm sure he'll fill us in...

Overall, it was a tough day. This past week or two are really making us struggle for some reason.
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-08, 10:23 PM   #2
bassinbob

Tough day for me too. The main lake was totaly muddy so I opted for the pond below the lake. I pulled 2 4lbers. out last time there. Today I threw a ton of stuff but only had a few blowups on rage tails. I fished from 5pm till 9pm. Oh well, still had a good time.
Old 07-14-08, 12:09 AM   #3
Jim80

every now and again you get days maybe weeks like that man it'll change soon your on the water to much to always have bad luck
Old 07-14-08, 09:13 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The wind as blowing hard, and the boat was drifting fast, even with the trolling motor being expertly (hahaha... right...) manned by me. I was using a 3/8 oz. DS weight and switched to a 1/2. I still couldn't keep it on the bottom. Probably cause the lake drops off very fast.

At one time, the Depthfinder in the front of the 16' boat said 4' and rear said 17-18'.

none of the fish any of us caught had any size to them. Buzzie, we need to get better at catching the fish int he deep water, cause that's where I think they're gonne be. We found quite a few suspended at about 10-15' in around 35' of water. Surrounded by baitfish too, My dad casted a DT-10 and I was throwing a Bandit 300, but we couldn't get them. Maybe next time.

BB
Old 07-14-08, 01:21 PM   #5
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

That sucks. The wind WAS blowing hard. It's funny because I also was throwing a Bandit 300 - bluegill - matte finish, and I slaughtered those bass. Spinnerbaits were #2.

Better luck next time.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 01:31 PM   #6
JB

great lakes cool front and high pressure shuts em down a tad eh?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 07:19 PM   #7
Buzz Wing

Bluebird skies didn't help.

Joolz, you have any pictures man?

Old 07-14-08, 09:13 PM   #8
Bender

I got out for a while Sunday morning also and it was very tough, then the wind came in at 20-30 MPH and added the icing on the cake.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 10:30 PM   #9
jooleyen

Lol. I only have one. We really didn't catch anything special. Normally don't take pics of 16 inchers. I lost a pig on a crankbait though. Hit right under the boat, and my drag didn't slip. The only "special" fish caught was a smallie. Here is a picture:

Old 07-14-08, 11:17 PM   #10
Buzz Wing

When did you get a boat, Joolz?

Old 07-15-08, 12:11 AM   #11
jooleyen

I've had a boat for all of my life.
Old 07-15-08, 02:48 PM   #12
Buzz Wing

Finally got her runnin', huh? Can we ge a pic of the finishe product?

Old 07-15-08, 07:22 PM   #13
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy

well, as windy as it was, we must have hit the only lake that was crazy good. manned in the morning with a white pop'r and a spook jr, switching after 8am to a 5" green watermelon/gold flake senko and fishing white lake(which has just killed us in the past) we tore it up. myself and wagabons decided to try our make shift livewell before this sundays first tourney. man did we pack it, couple between 3-4, prolly over 20 keepers on the day, including a 24" pike on the senko also. thanks to everyones advice, all 5 of the ones we kept for a while are back swimming where they started the day at.

one reason could have been we went thru a long run of canals, which was blocked almost entirally by houses, so the wind wasnt a factor. even when we got out on the lake, we seemed to be in the right place at right time. just hope it carries over for one more week. first time we have gotten to go up against competition, even if not a real tourney, there is still other boats and money on the line, lol. real enough for first timers.

ken
kennsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 10:26 PM   #14
Buzz Wing

Good job, Ken! You've been tearin' then up lately. You, Bender, myself, and BigBassin144 should have a little get together up here sometime.

Keep it up,

Old 07-15-08, 10:34 PM   #15
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

sounds good to me buzz. myself and wagabons are game just dont want to drive to far, that gas is a little crazy, lol. we do have our eyes on a few lakes that we tried late last year, one being lake ovid towards lansing, or something down US-23 would work too. keep in touch and we can set something up for sure.

ken
Old 07-15-08, 10:41 PM   #16
Buzz Wing

I know Bender has fished Lake Ovid. I could probably boat with him, or tow my boat if needed. We could also hit Kent, (Bender's stomping grounds), around Brighton. I too have numerous lakes around me. Bender also told me he got on some good fish on Whitmore Lake, so we could do that too. Just south of Brighton I believe.

Old 07-16-08, 08:15 AM   #17
Bender

There are so many lakes nearby it would be a tough call. I bet MIBasser would be willing to join up too. He has been fishing the Tuesday night Kent Lake opens recently but he lives somewhere around Lansing.
Old 07-16-08, 05:42 PM   #18
bamabassman

there you go buzzie. there's your get together buddy. go for it.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 07:31 PM   #19
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

we have fished kent before, but never whitmore. i think we could manage to make a visit to one or the other. i know ovid looked nice when we went there late season last year, but was darn close to snowing and we didnt do so good. this year has definitely seemed like we have made the most of our visits to all the lakes, well since june anyway. keep in touch, i think our wives are heading out of town next weekend, like 25-27 so we m ay be able to set something up one of those days, just need to make plans for kids.

let us know,
ken
Old 07-16-08, 07:39 PM   #20
Buzz Wing

Shoot, bring everyone with, Ken. I'm sure between you, me, Bender, BigBassin144 and MIBasser, we have plenty of room.

I believe Bender said he had a charity event on Kent the 25-27, but don't quote me on that.

Old 07-18-08, 02:20 PM   #21
Bender

The fish-n-friends event that I am going to is on Lake Orion on the 26th. Sunday the 27th is open for me.
Old 07-20-08, 07:56 PM   #22
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

i do love lake orion, lol. is it a tourney bender, or just a get together for fun.

myself and wags just fished our first tourney today. lobdell in fenton. launched at 6am, had limit in live well by 730. nothing over 2 pounds though. by the time we were done at noon, we had only culled one fish. our little make shift live well worked nicely though. we lost 2 of the 7 that spent time in there, but think was because the batteries we running low in the aerator. ended up missing the cash by around 2 pounds, and lost 2 3#'ers late. oh well, was fun and learned somethings about weigh ins and tourneys. good luck in your friends and fun, and if we decide to meet up sunday, lets get it planned out asap.

ken
Old 07-20-08, 11:24 PM   #23
Bender

Sunday is out for me, I screwed up big time today and fished for 11 hours when I was supposed to be home early.
Ken, it is a great event where you take some troubled kids out fishing. Many have never been on a boat before and fishing is very positive influence on their lives: http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/...p?topic=4537.0

Last edited by Bender; 07-21-08 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-21-08, 12:52 PM   #24
MIbasser

I'm out this weekend as well. I'm going to have my daughter. Next weekend is my yearly golf/drink weekend with the guys...
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-08, 08:44 PM   #25
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

that is awesome bender, have fun with that. sounds like a gr8 way to help out. MIB, no problem, we will hook something up soon. would be a good time just getting to know a few other guys around michigan, can share secrets, or at least pretend too, lol.

ken

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.