Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-30-08, 07:17 PM   #1
kingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default new rod & reel for trip south

Well I finally got my new rod (yesterday) and the reel today in the mail for our big trip to Guntersville. As soon as I got home from work BB already had it rigged for me(I think he had to test it out, good thing he uses a left handed reel and me a right or I would have lost it before I got to use it.) Anyway we had to go out to the back yard to our pond and test it. He T-rigged it for me I' m not to good with plastics. Don't fish them much. I like crankbaits and topwaters. It worked real well I caught 3 -8 to 12 bass in about 20 min. I can't wait to try it on some big fish. The rod is a loomis IMX 7ft med/hvy with a Daiwa Zillion reel spooled with braid. I'm gonna try to practice alot before we leave that is if I can get it away from BB!!! If he learns to fish right handed I'm in trouble!!!!!!!
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 07:20 PM   #2
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Cool, King!

Killer rod/reel for a first BC outfit!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 07:21 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I used it before you even knew your reel was here. I got three fish including a nice catfish. Those watermelon candy power worms are kickin' butt up here. I think I'm getting better at fishing right-handed. And also, I really like the Suffix braid. I've never fished for bass with powerpro yet, so it's hard to compare. Overall though, I really like the combo. Lightweight too. Makes my BPS rods feel like lead.

BB
Old 05-30-08, 07:36 PM   #4
kingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

The baitmonkey is following me around like my shadow. We're headed to Wally World, and maybe Dick's. Gotta get some more stuff before G-ville, since our Cabela's sucks and doesn't have anything we need.

And the baitmonkey is loving this because no matter he buys, it'll seem cheap compared to the gas we've got to buy for the 500 mile trip down there.

kingfish
Old 05-30-08, 09:06 PM   #5
bamabassman

hahaha, kingfish, you better put it in da gun safe!! hahahaha, i am going out tomorrow and gonna try a couple of new worms (you better pratice my man, hehe). gonna try an 8" gambler in kinda mardi gras color, a 10" gambler in blue flakies. also using the white buzzbait in white with a blood trail skirt, and a plastis crawdad in watermelon. i'll let you know how they do. i truly hope that this trip is gonna be worth ya'll's while. the baitmonkey hit me up for $30.00 this eventing. the wife said that she was gonna whup his a$$. hahahaha. oh yea...don't forget the zoom lizard in punkinseed with a chartuse tail, or just punkinseed.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 10:27 PM   #6
BigBassin144

We've got some Zoom lizards in pumpkin chartreuse tail, and s pack of YUM Zellamanders in Carolina Pumpkin charteuse tail. I've also got a few other colors that we could try.

well, the baitmonkey bit me at Gander Mtn. tonight. After going to Dick's and Wally world looking for a left handed Abu black or silver max, we went to gander mtn. They, like the other, did not have it in left handed. So I was looking for a cheap reel to use for flipping till I got the reel I realy want. I ended up going with the Gander Mtn. Tournament reel. cost me $70, but I think it'll work out fine, and I'll use it as a back-up reel when I get a good reel for flippin. Thanks again on the offer to use your Abu, and I might still take you up on that to see if I like it.

I think the only thing we need is a tackle bag to carry our plano boxes in. I'd really like to convert everything over to the Falcon FTO boxes, but again, too expensive for right now, so we'll be looking for something cheap to hold the Planos in until we can afford the Falcon.

Less than a week away! I can't wait. Dad, you better get practicing! I'd tell ya to go out right now and I'd go with ya, but backlashes are harder to pick out at night than they are in the day.

BB
Old 05-30-08, 10:28 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Oh, bama, I really hope the topwater bite is on by the time we get down there.

BB
Old 05-30-08, 10:33 PM   #8
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

bb is kingfish your dad?
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 10:37 PM   #9
BigBassin144

yup. but the car is all mine! nah just kidding, only the fenders and chrome trim are mine cause that's the only part I polish.

BB
Old 05-30-08, 10:43 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
bb is kingfish your dad?
Naw, kingfish is the other side of BB's personality. Multiple personality disorder, ya know? Kinda sad, really. All BB does is sit around and drool, watching old reruns of "Gilligan's Island." And when he's kingfish, he's running around the neighborhood in Superman pajamas, singing Superman's theme song at the top of his lungs.
I thought it was funny at first, but then one time he leapt a tall building in a single bound, right before the men in white coats hit him with a tranquilizer dart. It ceased being funny at that point...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 10:46 PM   #11
BigBassin144

I've always wondered about that scar.... thanks for clearing that up MB.

BB
Old 05-30-08, 11:18 PM   #12
bamabassman

bb, gonna test the topwater in the morning.
Old 05-30-08, 11:21 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Alright, sounds good. Let us know. I think I'm gonna get to bed, may fish a bit tomarrow if it's not too windy and rainy.

BB
Old 05-31-08, 12:09 AM   #14
Jim80

bama i've been loving thos watermelon flake crawdads from zoom my fav by far
Old 05-31-08, 11:46 AM   #15
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Tackle bag is still for sale, 144.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 01:11 PM   #16
bamabassman

ok kingfish and bb, went this morning. when the sun ain't shining, the fish are hitting like no tomorrow. but as soon as the sun comes out, all bright and stuff...they getting lockjaw. so be sure to have some cranks (1-1 1/2"). and hit the main channels. color choice is white/silver with black or blue backs. and orange or red bellys. caught 1 then lost 3 more in the grass this morning. caught 4 on the cranks. threw em all back and told them we'd be back next weekend, so they would fatten up some more. 3 of the 4 on cranks were about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds. good eating size.
Old 05-31-08, 04:20 PM   #17
kingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default crank baits

Bama, What kind of crank baits do you use down there? Also how deep do they dive? I use alot of storm wee worts and wiggle worts mainly for steelhead and walleye. i've also caught bass on them. I've got alot of diff. colors just about all the colors they make. We have a few bandits mainly baitfish colors. What kind of top waters do you use?
Old 05-31-08, 04:53 PM   #18
bamabassman

ok, any and all cranks. mostly the 4' to 8'. colors vary, really any color on a given day. bandits are great. was told to use one that has a big wobble. white with blue and or black backs and solid white. and baitfish colors, crawdad colors, orangeie. uh....just bring a few of all you got, lol. topwater, buzzbaits, spooks, pop-r's, frogs,rats,devil horses. and if you have a flyrod...bring it and have poping flies. bream love it.
Old 05-31-08, 05:21 PM   #19
MississippiBoy

If deep cranks are working, then the rattletraps should produce, too.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 05:39 PM   #20
kingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Getting the gear ready!!

Thanks Bama, I was just outside trying to practice with me new combo, But the wind is blowin about 20-25 mph. Had white caps on our 1/2 acre pond, but I still got 2 hits on a plastic worm,just didn't hookem. BB can hardly wait till we leave on Thursday. We are going to Cullman that night and coming over to Goose Pond on Fri. Is there any area we could fish from shore if we come over early. We are staying at the comfort inn on Fri. nite and at the lodge at Goose Pond on Sat. The lodge only had Sat. nite avail. no Fri.
Old 05-31-08, 05:58 PM   #21
BigBassin144

i think we mayhave enough cranks. But if we don't well get some down there.
Old 05-31-08, 06:38 PM   #22
PowerBass

Have fun fellas! Guntersville is a lake I def. want to hit, especially for some offshore cranking.
Old 05-31-08, 08:12 PM   #23
bamabassman

yea kingfish, you can fish right there at the campsite buddy! rattletraps are for sure a great bait when the sun is out brightly. good thought msboy!! and kingfish, i'll be there thursday night setting up. hopefully i can do a little fishing friday morning. kinda check out the terrain a little...ya know? hehehehe. oh no honey i won't be too long...hahahahahaha. gonna be REAL busy this wek getting everything packed up. so ya'll bear with me when you get there. i have never done this kind of thing. hope it goes well.
Old 06-01-08, 09:49 AM   #24
BigBassin144

I'm sure it'll go fine. MAn, I really can't wait. I love throwing cranks, and I'm sure there'll be another visit to the tackle shop before we go now.

[SARCASM]oh... darn that baitmonkey...[/SARCASM]

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.