Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-08, 09:09 PM   #1
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06
Default Getting Started

alrighty well my fishing buddy and best friend anthony wants to get started with his own stuff.. he says he gets paid about 140 bucks and wants to get a licence and fishing stuff..
spinning reel and rod
box
and whatever else

anything recomened to get his moneys worth? (licence 15bucks)
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 09:51 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Abu Garcia Cardinal 100. My first spinning reel, and I still love it. It's about $30 bucks, and I got mine at Cabela's. As for a rod, IMHO, you can't beat the low end shimanos, which they should have at wally world or such. (they should also have the reel in a plastic package too. As for line, on a low budget, get a pack of stren original monofilament (for a spinning reel get 8lb test). Later when he has more money he could maybe get some braid.

Here's some lures he should probably get:

-Spinnerbait (3/8oz is a good all around weight.) get one in all white and one in chartreuse/white.

-Crankbaits. The bandit crankbaits are, IMO, the best for the money. the bandit 100 in Bluegill was our biggest producer last year. Also try some lipless crankbaits. There's a lot out htere, but I still think Rat-L-Traps are the best.

-Plastics. I'd start out simple with some 7" berkley power worms. My favorite color up here is watermelon candy, but get a few colors and see which he likes better. Also get some 3/0 or 4/0 Gamakatsu EWG hooks. I have no prolem with the 3/0 hooks, but it might be easier for him to learn with the bigger ones. also don't forget some bullet weights (1/8oz and 1/4oz should be fine to start)

-Topwater. A couple of these is a must. I'd get some poppers, cause they're easy to use and maybe some type of frog. I never use frogs cause I haven't had good luck with them up here.

That's about all I can think of right now, but I'm sure somebody else can help ya too.

BB
Old 06-03-08, 03:48 PM   #3
Jim80

cherrywood and lighting rod imo , grab some zoom plastics worms lizards ect..
Old 06-03-08, 09:50 PM   #4
MrPhotographer06

heres what he got.. $ 130
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1170452.jpg
Views:	1689
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	2306  
Old 06-03-08, 10:10 PM   #5
bamabassman

great starting package. man, i LOVE THEM ROOSTER TAILS!! they are great for bass, bream, crappie and yes even cats. cught a tabby on one a few years back, lmao. and culprit worms are good as well. he needs a white spinner bait too. but all in all, a great haul!! now go fishing and post the catches.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 10:15 PM   #6
Jim80

good start man , seems like the bait monkey will have another victim
Old 06-03-08, 11:13 PM   #7
BigBassin144

What kind of rod and reel?

Looks pretty good except one major problem. That red box in the left of the picture. If I were him, I'd pitch it and get me a purple box. Cause IMO the only thing Trilene is good for is backing. (and that's only cause I get it free from NAFC)

BB
Old 06-04-08, 11:22 AM   #8
islandbass

Not too bad for a start, much better than how I started. He will outgrow that tacklebox really soon the more the baitmonkey influences him.
Old 06-04-08, 02:10 PM   #9
MrPhotographer06

yeah

its a abu cardinal 102

yeah trilene sucks.. keeps its memory and screws up the spool

went this morning.. missed 7 hook sets on culprit worms...

still.. nothing

08 fish count 0
Old 06-04-08, 02:55 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Those are the best reels for that price IMO. I miss a few fish on worms too. I think it's be cause my rod is too light. It's rated at a Medium, but it feels lighter to me. As for the trilene, throw it out and buy some Stren or Suffix.

BB
Old 06-04-08, 02:56 PM   #11
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
yeah

its a abu cardinal 102

yeah trilene sucks.. keeps its memory and screws up the spool

went this morning.. missed 7 hook sets on culprit worms...

still.. nothing

08 fish count 0
That is an great size for bass fishing.

If it's any consolation, if misery loves company, I have the same score as you for bass. or or or all 3 emoticons?

To make things worse, I broke my ankle in 2 places last Friday so I will not be fishing for a very long time.

With regard to Trilene, if it is XL it won't be too bad. Any line is subject to line twist. If any one wishes to reduce it when using a spinning reel:

1) Close the bail manually - this is however just half the battle
2) With the bail closed, BEFORE the retrieve starts, make sure there is tension on the line.

It's that simple. Any slack present on the angler's side of the bail, greatly increases the potential for line twist and line bunching that you might not readily see on the spool but you will definitely hear and the line goes "thrroop" through the guides.

3) Always ensure that the drag's setting is taut enough to never hear the clicking sound on the retrieve.
4) Never attempt to recover line when the drag is being pulled.

With these things kept in mind your buddy should hardly ever experience line twist. I most certainly don't when I keep the these things in mind.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.