Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-25-08, 12:45 PM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If we made the big bass states separate, which ones would be included? I'd say the top 5 should be good.

BB
Old 06-25-08, 12:47 PM   #27
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i'd say florida , california , texas to start
Old 06-25-08, 01:47 PM   #28
BigBassin144

Maybe we should just stick texas in the south and forget about it.

BB
Old 06-25-08, 02:49 PM   #29
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
what are the lists? biggest? most? smallest? (smallest..you KNOW who'd win that right? hahahaha)
I was leaning toward combined length of your five fish limit. Sound fair enough? If you did weight, you would have to also measure the girth of the fish as well, which means leaving the fish out of the water longer - NOT A GOOD THING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro911 View Post
I guess my question would be why is Falcon excluded? Half of the lake is in the state of Texas, so why can't the Texas side be fished? And you didn't exclude Amistad, and it is the same setup as Falcon. What about Toledo Bend? It shares a border with Louisiana and would put us in a different state and region? Texhoma would do the same.

And if we are excluding Texas' big bass lakes, does that mean we in Texas can randomly choose 2 lakes from each of the other states to exclude from their allowed fishing waters?

Not trying to be contrary here, but excluding lakes that are legal fishing waters in the state they are in seems like a bad way to run a tournament to me. I haven't fished in any of the other tournaments, and likely won't fish this one, but that just doesn't seem right.
That's true, Nitro. I guess we could include all Texas' waters, but,I think it should be put in its own category with Florida, California, and possibly Georgia, due to the ever-controversial world record largemouth bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
1 more thing we should get a list of the guys who will participate together and post them by region before we start , outings wouldn't have to be reported just results and pics . pictures of fish caught should have to be posted within 24 hours of being caught to qualify and if you feel like it you could do a fun bracket like largest blue gill and so just a idea .
That sounds pretty cool as well.

The "24 hour posting limit" sounds very fair too. You shouldn't be able to "snake-eye" people, per se, saying you've caught no fish, then post all the pictures at the end. You either have to date your name card or have time stamp turned on on your camera. Sound good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
I think you should put the big-bass states of California, Texas and Florida in a category of their own. To put say, Oklahoma and Florida or Colorado and California in the same region is unfair. I think you need to look at the state records of each state and group the states in 3 or 4 classes based on state records or another criteria so it would be more fair.
Same as I mentioned above. What would you guys think of the "Big Bass Region" being:

Florida, Texas, Georgia, California, and ????

------------------------------------------

Anything else we need to add? Starting dates? Prizes also need to be determined.
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 03:03 PM   #30
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

I disagree with the picture of person with fish. I fish alone alot, and will not be able to do that. if you take a look at Kevins older tournaments, just use that method... 1 pic with fish next to tape and piece of paper with username and a designated code on it... very simple and easy.

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 03:09 PM   #31
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You guys are seriously overcomplicating things. For one, only length isnt goin to work. Ive got a lot of long bass that are just really lean and dont weigh much... then on the other hand there are really fat pigs that are just short.
Old 06-25-08, 03:10 PM   #32
texasbasser

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...&highlight=WFT

This is the setup that seemed to work.

TB
Old 06-25-08, 03:11 PM   #33
rrw4258

I got lucky last year and won our "Big Bass Tourney" on this site with a 7 or 8 inch bass. It weighed .36 lbs! I guess people just forgot to weigh them in?

Ryan
Old 06-25-08, 04:08 PM   #34
Nitro911

Quote:
I know I am new to the site and trust is earned. But, sadly, it is inevitable that someone will always find a way to cheat regardless of how tight or foolproof the rules are
If I recall correctly, last year they had a date that was a couple of months before the start of the tournament. Say this year it starts July 1, then if you weren't signed up in the forum by May 1, you were not eligible for the tournament. It helped keep some of the sandbaggers out. You couldn't join after the start.

I really wasn't trying to bash anybody, I was just trying to save you guys some work figuring out stuff that has already been figured out. The rules will be posted at some point, and there is usually a modification period if anybody sees any huge holes. As far as I am concerned, all of you are trustworthy until you prove otherwise. Fishermen are generally good people.
Old 06-25-08, 04:29 PM   #35
Buzz Wing

TexasBasser,

I read over those rules and they sound candid enough.

Now, we need to make a list of regions, sign-up dates, categories, start/stop dates, etc.
Old 06-25-08, 04:56 PM   #36
Jim80

leave that part to kevin his system works so why break from it ? he'll let us know when it's time to go so we'll do it that way , cool by me , if it works fine leave it be .
Old 06-25-08, 05:44 PM   #37
Kevin
Administrator

Hey guys...

Here is a link to the last forum tournament we held... thought you would be interested to see it:

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=12055

A few tips we've learned from our past tournaments:

1. Make sure the date and "BassFishin.Com" is clearly written on a piece of paper WITHIN the photo of the bass on the measuring device. Do not allow two seperate photos... one of the fish, and the other of just the paper note. The note should be in the shot of the fish being measured.
  2. Only allow fish to be entered that were caught from publicly accessible waters. A lot of folks (especially down south) have access to some private ponds that have GIGANTIC bass that can be caught pretty much on-demand. We've found that limiting catches to public waters really cures this issue and levels the playing field.
Of course, only use these if you want. This is your tournament and you certainly don't have to follow these suggestions.

I look forward to seeing the entries come in! Good luck everyone!

Kevin
Old 06-25-08, 05:58 PM   #38
Buzz Wing

Thnaks for jumpin' in, Kevin.

Do you have any ideas for a prize? What types of prizes have been awarded in the past?
Old 06-25-08, 06:01 PM   #39
texasbasser

Some of the past tournaments that Kevin has put together, he has gotten some sponsors to donate some fishing stuff. Ones that are run by members are mostly donated items.

TB
Old 06-25-08, 06:34 PM   #40
Buzz Wing

How about a $5 pool?

After we all get signed-up, we send our money to a central source, we'll say Kevin for this example, then we divide the money per category, (5), and whoever wins each category gets 1/5 of the total.

Sound good?
Old 06-25-08, 08:22 PM   #41
Nitro911

You would almost have to pay your fee by state of residence (or region to be fished) if you are going to do that. That way if the NE region has 20 guys enter and the Tx, CA, FL group only has 10, your entry money doesn't go to another region. In some states, this may be considered gambling and could get some people in trouble. Depending on where Kevin is, or even his hosting, HE could be the one in trouble. Me, I wouldn't take the chance. Most states will allow tournaments if the entirety of the tournament is held within the state, but one that is held like this could be illegal given certain outdated wording in the laws in some states. The only reason I point this out is that I used to work in the Vice unit and we did a lot of gambling investigations...just food for thought again.

If you guys want to do a side pot or something, consider setting it up in e-mail and not on open posts in the forum to avoid any possibility of hastles for Kevin.
Old 06-25-08, 08:28 PM   #42
Buzz Wing

Scratch everything, BigBassin144 started a new tournament.

Old 06-25-08, 08:34 PM   #43
BigBassin144

I've talked to Kevin, and he OK'ed it. we both added some stuff to what all of you have suggested.

The Tourney will be just for fun, and of course, braggin rights. Check it out.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.