Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-11-08, 08:59 AM   #1
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Old school fishing - pictures

My Dad prides himself on throwing baits/lures that I don't have in my bag... and usually catching fish! Some of the stuff in his tackle box is older than me (39)!

This week Dad broke out something he called A Dixie spinner, it was two bright orange blades,on a line with about 5 beads and two small trailer hooks. He added half a night crawler as a trailer... You can see it in the picture.

Anyway, the only keepers of the day went to Dad! I caught a few dinks, nothing worthy of a picture.

Do you have a friend/relative/buddy who throws stuff that is really different? What do they throw, how do they do? Just curious. Dad is kind of hit or miss with his old school experiments

Also, for those interested, you can kind of get a look at part of the 6 acre pond we fish regularly.

Thanks for looking!
BH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG%5F1139.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	540.5 KB
ID:	2463   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG%5F1142.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	494.8 KB
ID:	2464  

Last edited by brushhog; 07-11-08 at 10:03 AM.
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 09:56 AM   #2
Fishnngolfn

Getting schooled by your dad. I bet he just was grinning at you, wasn't he?

I wish my dad fished. I would have been doing this a lot earlier instead of starting around my mid 20's. Now I am in my mid 30's and still feel like a beginner.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 11:01 AM   #3
Jim80

nice fish , yeah my dad has a yellow and red popper that has to be 40 some odd years old that he throws when we are out , he hit a three pounder on it and then says not bad for a salt water lure huh
Old 07-11-08, 11:11 AM   #4
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
nice fish , yeah my dad has a yellow and red popper that has to be 40 some odd years old that he throws when we are out , he hit a three pounder on it and then says not bad for a salt water lure huh
Yeah, my Dad always has a smart comment, when he's beating me... actually Dad was a trout fisherman for years and years. Most of his bassin' is because of me! But he has that uncanny knack for knowing where the fish are!
Old 07-11-08, 11:15 AM   #5
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

yeah my dad has some lures i've never even seen any like.

my uncle has some from my great great grandpa... that were passed down.. i have some from my great uncle but idk where i put them.. here in my first tackle box.. a rebel somewhere.. my grandpa has a few old lures.. i'm hoping oneday when i get my boat finished i can get him out on the water sometime..
Old 07-11-08, 11:29 AM   #6
Fishnngolfn

Just don't get those hand me down lures stuck in some tree.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 02:40 PM   #7
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

That "Dixie Spinner" is what we up here call a crawler harness. Used for walleye exclusively.

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 02:52 PM   #8
brushhog

Yeah, i've seen them used for walleye here too.. The one my dad throws is made locally in by a company I believe is called gusto.
When you use them for walleye do you use a trailer?
I've only fished walleye here a few times. I live not too far from as really productive walleye lake - Oneida Lake.
Old 07-11-08, 03:08 PM   #9
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Diddly (),

Mostly, they are trolled along the weed egdes, weightless or with a small 1/4-1/2 ounce weight clipped on about two to three feet up the line.

Most trailers are worms or leeches, but you can use minnows, just clip off the back hook.

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 03:20 PM   #10
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

hmm.. pretty cool.. the original beetle spin to us is an antique.. not the ones you buy now with the two skirt strands pulled through the body.. the ones that look like a black red/yellow cricket.. havent found the bodies that produce like that ever.. just cant find them anymore
Old 07-11-08, 04:15 PM   #11
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice, B-hog. Glad you got to spend some quality time with your dad...
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 04:41 PM   #12
Raul

I throw a lot of things that are "different" from what more modern anglers throw just because I´ve been in this hobby for more time, yup I still fish with those old Heddon, Arbogast, Whopper Stopper, Rapala and Bomber baits like the Lucky 13, Sonic and Super Sonic, Bayou Boogies, Arbogasters, Hula Poppers, Rapala Original Minnow, Hellbenders, Hawaiian Wigglers and such, many of them are older than many guys in this forum, they still catch fish which only proves that the bass behave the same they behaved for ages.

More modern baits are better made and more perfected, have better hooks, better finishes but they still do what those old baits do. Coming to the lake armed with the most modern technology doesn´t necesarily mean you´ll catch bigger or more fish, it only helps and adds some points to yout chances but catching fish is still where it´s always been ---> behind the rod handle.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 05:07 PM   #13
Beamer2
BassFishin.Com Member

BH - There doesn't happen to be a boat launch on that pond is there? lol.
Let me know if you want to hook up sometime on Oneida or anyone of the other lakes around here. Always looking for a partner, if I'm not with my wife and kids. I don't know many out your way, but always looking for new spots.
Nice fish Dad.

Oh yea I have a bunch of my grandfathers, and fathers topwater gear, hula poppers and jitterbugs, that I throw sometimes. Not a ton of luck with them but I don't throw them enough.
Beamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 05:30 PM   #14
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

my dad is 82 and in very poor health. i learn very lil from him fishing wise it was always my uncles doing the fishing. 2 have retired as great lakes charter boat captains.i have one still takin charters out -with my old boat-pop has packs of weird hard rubber worms in purple they are pre rigged..i think creme made them not sure

here is the only fish he ever caught from my stratos..it now resides in the pond..

i remember the funny look he gave me when i seen him put 3/8oz bullet sinkers on his worm rig..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 07-11-08 at 05:38 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 05:52 PM   #15
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

love my old man but fishing with him is a nightmare. he crappie fishes probobly 150 days a year and will take a man to school...and then laugh at ya to rub it in
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 09:18 AM   #16
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
Yeah, my Dad always has a smart comment, when he's beating me... actually Dad was a trout fisherman for years and years. Most of his bassin' is because of me! But he has that uncanny knack for knowing where the fish are!
Yeah my dad likes to keep a running count and holler out dad 6 junior 2 , but it's all in good fun .
Old 07-14-08, 10:17 PM   #17
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

love it when the pops outfish the kids. wish i could get mine out with me sometime, just me and dad....would be great. maybe next year.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.