Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-08, 12:36 PM   #1
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Think there's a market for this?

Ok, well i've posted this pic before, but with winter coming up, i was thinking of making a few of the displays to sell. I also was thinking of making a few with old fence posts w/barbed wire or tree limbs and leaf litter for the base for mounting deer antlers, bobcats, squirrels, etc. Another idea is making them with cypress knees for crappie or coons. What do ya'll think? You think there'd be any interest? (Animals not included)

Oh, and it's a glass table top cut in the same shape as the base, you just can't really tell in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0542.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	2864  

Last edited by mont_lunker_hunter; 11-20-08 at 12:41 PM.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 01:02 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Little confused....

We are talking about making and selling coffee tables with a natural motif? Do all have a mounted animal (bass, crappie, coon) incorporated into them?

Its a specialty item no doubt, but you should contact Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas and Woods N Water in Tuscaloosa (they sell a lot of that type stuff). If people buy advantage camo bedspreads and lamps, why not a coffee table? The economy is down and you are missing the height of marketing season (Christmas is already close) but it could be an idea.
Old 11-20-08, 01:12 PM   #3
mont_lunker_hunter

No, it's not just a coffe table, it's designed as a taxidermy display.

Quote:
Do all have a mounted animal (bass, crappie, coon) incorporated into them?
As I said, animals not included.

The idea came when i started looking for display cases/tables for my mounts. They were incredibly expensive and were not what i was looking for. I wanted something that had, as you said, a natural motif. Another appealing quality is that you can use materials from that animals habitat, which adds to the lifelike appeal. For example, most display cases for taxidermy are made with lumber or trim that is stained and varnished, they look nice, but it just was not for someone like me who wanted it to look as lifelike and natural as possible. Also, it's custom made, unique, and therefore a conversation piece.
Old 11-20-08, 01:26 PM   #4
WTL

Theres likely a small niche market for it, I don't think you will get rich doing it. I think the main thing is most people who see that in a magazine or in a retail setting will want it despite not having the proper mount to fit in there. How many people are going to have a fish mount say that looks good from all angles? All mine you can clearly see an ugly seam on the backside. It requires someone who has not only the right sized animal mounts, but they have to already have been very well done and without an existing attachment (many fish come screwed to a piece of driftwood or something).

If you design each to be attractive without a mount, then you might sell more. BTW, there are taxidermy supply magazines and catologs that you could contact.
Old 11-20-08, 01:35 PM   #5
mont_lunker_hunter

WTL, the animal is mounted to fit the table. The taxidermist can manipulate the animal to fit inside, just as they make it's legs fit to the curvature of a tree branch. In the case of the fish pictured above, i made the table, carried it to the taxidermist and the fish was "fitted" to it. The fish is 28" long, which is another reason I had to custom make. It is not designed to put an existing mount inside, although a european skull mount would lay nicely inside. Also, as I stated earlier those taxidermy supply catalogs and shops (that I looked at, and I looked at many) had nothing like this. The guy who mounted the fish for me said that it would be considered 100% made to order and if he had one like that made for my fish it would cost me around $400 for the table alone.
Old 11-20-08, 02:19 PM   #6
WTL

Well then I think it will work. All you have to do is contact the right people and create an efficient business model to get down to it. Its a neat idea, and I like those hyper realistic mounts. The wall mounts make fish almost 2D, with what you are doing it creates a world.
Old 11-20-08, 02:23 PM   #7
mont_lunker_hunter

thanks, I was thinking about talking to the guy who mounted the fish to see if he'd be interested in keeping at his shop on display for a little while. I think it would show off his ability and be good advertisement for me.
Old 11-20-08, 05:06 PM   #8
zooker

mont lunker
best thing to do sell the base on e-bay. remark you have X number of them..there are taxidermist mounting bases. trust me i know well over a hundred taxidermist personally.. most scout stuff like this on e-bay..

btw send me copys of your pic's of the base/table.. i'll pass them around and see what the guys say..
my e-mail is
zooker01@hotmail.com

zooker
Old 11-20-08, 08:18 PM   #9
bamabassman

yes there is a market for the setup. maybe not as huge as you'd want. but there is a market for it.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-08, 09:44 AM   #10
mont_lunker_hunter

Thanks for the help fellas

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.