Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-08, 06:13 PM   #1
patchino22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fresh Water Striper Fishing

There is a lake in my area that has Stripers in it and I would LOVE to know how to catch them. I have never fished for them before so I have no idea what I am doing. What do I use? Bait? Tackle? Technique?

(Most of the links I find on the web are for Saltwater Striper Fishing. I thought the fresh water enironment would be a little different)
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-08, 07:03 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

falls,buggs,gaston, or jordan??

if falls forget it.. to dang many pleasure boats not to mention too crooked and narrow..
if jordan i got your hook up
if buggs-big and tough-
if gaston -great if your a big lake guy..

i have tons of friends fishing for striper at jordan. most use buck tails but some use sassy shads- sassy shads are cheaper about $1 each as to buck tails costing $5 each. i have yet to do it with out losing 4-5 of them.i like sassy shads.

as for rod holders get the big ones the santee 45 degree holders -driftmasters wont hold up to a big fish strike-i use a beam-2x12- with 5 thru holes set at angles that clamps to the two tie up cleats on the back of my boat.

as for rigging i like simple carolina rigs with 4-6 foot leader to the sassy shad add 1/2-1 oz egg sinkers above the swivel..3/4 oz doing most of the damage for me..some use lead core 3-4 colors out..

speed needs to be 2.4-2.8 mph gps. striper feed the best in the most miserable weather. just watch for the feathered fish finders-sea gulls- when they are diving at the shad stripers are underneath forcing the shad up... word of advice don't go alone. i have trolled thru a school with 7 rods out and had 5 fish hook up at once.. 2-3 rods at the same time are the norm when the bite is ON.. the one thing i do know nc striper fisherman pass info to anyone that wants it ...vhf radio is a must with these guys..channel 1...

go here tell them i sent ya.they have heard of me i think..

http://www.tarheelstriperclub.com

zooker
Old 10-13-08, 07:41 PM   #3
patchino22

I live near Falls...so I was looking to go there first. I hear ya on the rec boaters....but I was hoping that might die down as the weather cools. But I would also consider Jordan as that isnt too far as well. I just want to catch some big fish Any and all insight is most appreciated...right down to the tiniest of details.

I havent been on here in a long time....glad to see you are still THE MAN Zooker!
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 05:31 PM   #4
zooker

lol...
thanks i think...

let me get back to ya.. i know a few guys in that area..

zooker
Old 10-14-08, 05:56 PM   #5
robertmee

Zooker,

Have you heard of any activity on Gaston, specifically at the Kerr Lake end? I'll be up there again this weekend. My place is at mile marker 26. Don't really have a striper rig...We've been using pencil poppers on heavy spinning for stripers earlier this summer. Catching a few.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 07:42 PM   #6
Jigger

there are dozens of ways to catch stripes depending on the time of year, how deep they are and where they're located. Here are a few ways to catch them but the best advice is to hook up with a knowledgeable local or get a guide the fishes the way you think you'll want to catch them, ie, live bait, trolling, casting etc.
1.Trolling a long line with a deep diving crank bait. Works well in the Spring when they're hanging on the humps.
2.Trolling with a downrigger. Works well in the Summer when suspended in the channels and scattered.
3.Veritical jigging a spoon. Another good Summer pattern when they're schooled up and deep.
4.Casting a Sassy shad or Bucktail with a trailer. My favorite. Good when they're "under the birds" or on shallow humps in the Fall and Winter.
5.Casting a topwater plug. Good when you see them busting the surface chasing shad or chunking the banks for them early in the morning in the Spring and Fall.
6.Live shad anytime. Drift it, anchor up or fish it under a baloon depending on how deep they are and where they're located.
Just a few methods I've used throughout the years. I only chunk and wind now. Stripers are a cool fish
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 08:15 PM   #7
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
Zooker,

Have you heard of any activity on Gaston, specifically at the Kerr Lake end? I'll be up there again this weekend. My place is at mile marker 26. Don't really have a striper rig...We've been using pencil poppers on heavy spinning for stripers earlier this summer. Catching a few.
thats way up near buggs in the river right??...

zooker
Old 10-15-08, 07:59 AM   #8
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
thats way up near buggs in the river right??...

zooker
Pretty close....I'm directly in the middle between the I-85 bridge and the steel bridge boat ramp off US-1. Across from Cow Beach if you know where that is.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 11:06 AM   #9
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fall is a good time. Head to the dam with some 8 inch swim baits. Try using Reaction Strikes Bass Harasser. My fish are suspended right up on the rocks of the dam in a big ol feeding frenzy.
Old 10-15-08, 05:39 PM   #10
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
Pretty close....I'm directly in the middle between the I-85 bridge and the steel bridge boat ramp off US-1. Across from Cow Beach if you know where that is.
yep know excatly where dats at..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
Fall is a good time. Head to the dam with some 8 inch swim baits. Try using Reaction Strikes Bass Harasser. My fish are suspended right up on the rocks of the dam in a big ol feeding frenzy.

they normally hit the tail races here in febuary.. again i must stress seagulls are the greatest location device you can find.. if the gulls are diving activly -not one or two but 8-10 at a time- you need to get in there.. i have had to wash icky gull poo out of my boat and off me many times.. but i always caught fish..

zooker
Old 10-21-08, 09:12 PM   #11
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The umbrella rigs are the big thing now to use. Troll two rods and a couple onces of lead in line about 15 feet in front of umbrella.

This guy Petry on another board had been selling his rigs like crazy to lake fisherman.

I remember his company now.. Junebug Tackle..

Capt Mike
Old 11-26-08, 01:13 AM   #12
tpttooter946
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been fishing at lake oliver in GA. I didn't know what was the best to fish for off of the dock so I just started off by going for the bass at the bottom. Well, my baby bass yo-zuri didn't work, my texas rigged white worms didn't work, and neither did my topwater stuff. So, I tried using a white rubber crappie jig. Every time the schools of striper moved in, the mass amounts of baitfish at the top went nuts. Every time the bait fish went nuts, I got a fish which was about every 5 to 10 minutes. Even in between the schools of striper, I was catching smaller ones, with one nice big small mouth bass which scared me on my ultra light rod I was using

I would just suggest dropping a jig down in with a light action rod or if you want the fight like I do, get yourself an ultra light and go to town. Heavy jig w/ light rod = long cast and better feeling when a fish comes up to take a bite.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.