Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 02-08-09, 01:39 AM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Firearm owners BEWARE

first off this post has nothing to do with politics and lets keep it that way. i just want to share a bad experience i had with taurus firearms in hopes that you all will be aware of this and also help spread the word.

about 3 months ago i bought a taurus millennium 9mm. right away it had a problem with light primer strikes, about half of the time the gun wouldn't go off but it would dent the primer. i called taurus and told them the gun was brand new and what it was doing, and they said send it back along with an empty clip and we will fix it as they knew what the problem was. after being without my gun for a few weeks i decided i would call and check on it and see why it was taking so long, i figured since it was a brand new gun they would get it back to me right away. the guy i got on the phone was a total smart a**. he said it was going to take another 3 weeks, when i told him that he was out of his mind and i said they should at least send me some merchandise free of charge to make up for my trouble he said "i can send you a catalog for free" to which i said "what the hell makes you think i will buy anything else from you?" anyways, the gun finally gets returned to me and it looks like they burried it in a bucket of gun oil, i mean it is covered so bad that i tried to open the slide and it slipped out of my hands and almost took the end of my finger with it. it took me forever with a rag to get the oil wiped off to where i could at least handle the gun. yesterday i went out to shoot her and low and behold it has the same problem it had before, not only that but now it is jamming up like every 5th shot. at this point i am pissed and i call taurus and demand to speak with a manager. the manager is just as much of a smart a** as the first guy i dealt with. i told him about the oil on the gun and made sure he was aware that too much oil was just as bad if not worse than no oil at all, and then i told him about the original problem. i told him that i didn't know his gunsmith did to the gun but he sure as hell didn't fix the problem and in fact the gun is now jamming which wasn't a problem before. i also asked why they needed the empty clip sent with the gun and he said "so we can test fire the gun and make sure it's fixed". i told him there is no way they test fired the gun because they would have known that the gun was not only not fixed but developed a jamming issue. instead of offering to stand behind their warranty and try to fix the problem like it should have been fixed in the first place much less offer me some sort of freebies to make up for my trouble, his answer was the most spineless way out. he said just send us the reciept and we will refund your money. now i am glad that i will get my money and even more glad that i won't have that piece of crap anymore (much less ever own another taurus), but i would think he should try and stand behind their product and make it right. anyways maybe i am out of line for being upset but i really feel like taurus has the worst product quality, customer service, warranty, and management of any company in any industry i have ever dealt with. not sure what gun i will go to next, thinking maybe glock or springfield and i don't know if i will go with another 9mm or maybe go with something a little bigger but i promise i will never own another taurus and i will make sure every person i know that is in the market for a handgun will know about this story. ok rant over, carry on.

Last edited by carolina-rig-01; 02-08-09 at 01:47 AM.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 07:05 AM   #2
zooker

i currantly own 7 taurus from a 380 to a 460 ragin bull. i too have had issues with the firing pin dentin the primer in a new gun. -a pt pro in 45 cal- however i refuse to send ANY gun to ANY company gunsmith..i known a custom gunsmith who's local. my problem was a burr in the firing pin bushing that was catching the spring..it cost me $10 for him to smooth it out.
taurus polishes the slide in every auto so the #5 jamming is unusal in the least. where was it that you sent to??..miami or rio?...
the over oiling is something many gunsmiths tend to do-kinda like reel repair guys-and i agree it is a frikkin mess to clean up..

the springfield hd 45 is a nice piece-i am not a fan of 9mm-

zooker
Old 02-08-09, 09:00 AM   #3
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Talking

Sounds like the dude was Tauruschitting you!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 10:55 AM   #4
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks for that info, I was lookin at buyin a pistol with my next paycheck, and taurus was on the list..... Just got crossed off though.
Old 02-08-09, 12:34 PM   #5
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

if your lookin to buy a pistol.dont try and go cheep and get a hotpoint...

they suck.. my dad had a 380 that wouldnt hit the broadside of a barn and it jammed every 5th shot or so..

get a glock...more $$ but worth it..

you think the gangstas would have a glock if it jammed up and didnt fire?
Old 02-08-09, 12:45 PM   #6
MississippiBoy

I think you meant "Highpoint", Mr. Photo, but I agree. Why go cheap when one day your life may depend on your gun?

C-rig, I have a Smith and Wesson M&P in .40 cal, and I love it. I've had zero problems with it in the year or so I've owned it. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd go with the .45 instead, but it's a great gun.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 01:12 PM   #7
MrPhotographer06

haha yeah.. i was talking about appliences when i typed that
Old 02-08-09, 01:13 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
where was it that you sent to??..miami or rio?
miami........
Old 02-08-09, 01:19 PM   #9
zooker

cuban gunsmiths

nuff said...

zooker
Old 02-08-09, 01:44 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
cuban gunsmiths

nuff said...

zooker
that may have been the case, and that is what i figured as well. but everytime i called i got someone who spoke perfect english, with a smart a** tone.
Old 02-08-09, 05:03 PM   #11
CMorg

I bought a Kimber Customs Stainless Ultra Carry .45 about 8 years ago. I had a problem with it jamming on hollow points. I sent the gun in twice , the first time they ground down the " ramp " and sent it back. It still jammed , so i sent it in again , this time they put a new barrel in ( I guess they upgrade your parts for free ) and sent me a new clip , they said the old clip was bad...it shoots hollow points now. I would highly recommend Kimber products.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 12:01 AM   #12
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have 2 hi point in 380 and 9mm and have put around 500 shots each through them with only one jam in the 9. I really like the 380. As far as I'm concerned I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on them if I had to. (rather have one of them than a rock) I have a Taurus pt 22 that is a nice little piece although it does tend to jam some. Keep em clean and they'll be fine. For a stashable gun the hi points are fine.
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 12:07 AM   #13
MrPhotographer06

my grandpa has the two guns i want

ruger bearcat .22

and a h&r 9 shot revovler .22
Old 02-09-09, 11:32 AM   #14
jcw1503

I am sorry to here man, but hopefully you will get a better gun....My father in law bought the same gun you did a few months ago, but he does not like it because of different reason, but i bought a smith and wesson 9mm and i love it...its smoother and handles better than his and it was the same price.....
Old 02-09-09, 06:26 PM   #15
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Photo,

That looks to me like a Ruger Single Six. Are you sure that's a Bearcat?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 08:13 PM   #16
MrPhotographer06

yeah..prettty sure..
Old 02-09-09, 09:22 PM   #17
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
yeah..prettty sure..

I'm pretty sure as well.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...tion&famlst=10

C-Rig if you are looking at some thing different take a look at Sig's. I have a Pro 40 and it shoots great right out of the box. It has a poly frame which is nice and it helps out with the cost. I actually bought it on line and had it shipped to dealer and saved a couple hundred on it (granted it was a few years ago...)
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 12:45 PM   #18
Nitro911

I have a Glock model 22 with close to 20,000 rounds through it with no problems if you are looking for suggestions.

When Taurus first bought the S&W plant, the guns they were turning out were very good. I owned several and liked them all. I haven't bought on in probably 15 years, but I have heard the complaints about rudeness from others, as well. Sorry to hear about your experience, but hey, you get to go gun shopping again. That is almost as good as going shopping for fishing gear!
Old 02-10-09, 06:51 PM   #19
lowrider

c-rig...looks like alot has changed since our last pm! i'm about to order a glock 27 (40cal) but it's looking like it's gonna be hard to get. my local dealer said today his supplier "has no glocks" i could get one at one of the big stores in little rock, but for the same money i prefer to spend local.

on another note. i'm hearing good things about kahr's. check them out, the cw9 is an affordable alternative to the glock and just as small.

oh, and one more thing, my 20 year old taurus pt92 is a shooting dream! accurate for an auto and very reliable....guess it's still got alot of beretta in it's genes though!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 07:11 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

I agree on the Kahr's. I have no experience with them, but I've not heard anything negative about them at all. Be sure to do the recommended break-in period before you start carrying it, though. It has a slight tendency to hang up until you put I think 500 rounds through it. After that, it's supposed to be gravy.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 07:17 PM   #21
lowrider

yea, i heard the break in thing too...i heard 200 rounds, but whatever it is it's reccommended.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 04:26 PM   #22
carolina-rig-01

well the drama continues...........

they were supposed to have fedex pick the gun up monday and here it is wednesday and i still have the gun. i have been calling all morning trying to get a manager on the phone for round 3 but all i am getting is his answering machine. how can a company with such piss poor customer service and quality stay in business?
Old 02-11-09, 05:59 PM   #23
carolina-rig-01

i just got off the phone with taurus yet again. the lady i talked with today said that arrangement for fedex to pick up my gun were never put into the computer (this company is a joke!). she is supposed to arrange for the gun to be picked up tomorrow so we'll see what happens. she actually wanted me to take the gun to fedex and drop it off and i raised hell, why should i have to drive all over town to drop off a gun that was supposed to be picked up from my house?

as far as gun shopping goes, right now i am kinda looking at a springfield armory xd. not really sure what i will end up with but that is what i am looking at right now.
Old 02-11-09, 10:04 PM   #24
tnfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:

-i am not a fan of 9mm-

zooker

whats wrong with a 9mm yea a 45 is bigger but dead is dead ,,,,,,, i would get a glock and forget about every thing
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.