Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-16-05, 10:33 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default TODAY was the DAY

I waited 52 years for this. Today I caught a 10lb. bass. If you don't believe me now is the time to stop reading. My buddy told me of a trout lake that was giving up 3 to 5 lbers. So I went this morning hopping to catch one or two 3lbers. They drew down the lake pretty much so I had a little trouble launching the boat. I first went along the shore weedline using a buzzbait and a horny toad. My buddy told me the location on the lake where his friend was catching the 3lbers. So I next went across the lake to this location. There were some blow down's and I figured that would be a good place to start. I tied on a Strike King Wild Thing, junebug color with a screw in bullit sinker. I started one one side of the tree and worked my way around the outside edge of the tree. Coming around to the other side of the tree I dropped the wild thing down in the vee of a branch. Something felt funny almost like a snag. The snag started to move. Thinking it was a small fish I pulled and it gave no headway. I was using a St Croix 7ft heavy action with a Curado and 50lb. power-pro. My kness started to shake as I realized there was something bigger than the dinks I usually catch(lol). It felt like a was fighting a cement block. With the power-pro it wasn't a long fight. I wanted to give an Ike yell. But all I could do was thank the Lord. I had with me an old de liar I think it called scale that went to 10 lbs. She burried the scale. Next what do I do? No camera. Should I leave and take the bass to be weighed on a certified scale because this baby might have been more than 10lbs. I thought about it and decided to return her to the water. I called my buddy at work and told him what I caught. He told me his friend saw the bass a couple of times. I was so happy and nervous that I didn't measure her. But my guess was 26in. or better. I am now happy for the rest of my life lol. Me and the Lord know I caught this baby. Needless to say I will be going back to that little trout lake again.

Bob
Old 09-16-05, 10:56 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

WTG BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the double digit! I haven't got there-yet . I can only imagine what you felt like. That would be one of the times I would definitely support an Ike yell. One piece of advice-TAKE THE CAMERA ON EVERY TRIP ! I'm glad you released her-a fish that big deserves to keep swimming.
Old 09-16-05, 11:39 PM   #3
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob
I waited 52 years for this. Today I caught a 10lb. bass. If you don't believe me now is the time to stop reading. My buddy told me of a trout lake that was giving up 3 to 5 lbers. So I went this morning hopping to catch one or two 3lbers. They drew down the lake pretty much so I had a little trouble launching the boat. I first went along the shore weedline using a buzzbait and a horny toad. My buddy told me the location on the lake where his friend was catching the 3lbers. So I next went across the lake to this location. There were some blow down's and I figured that would be a good place to start. I tied on a Strike King Wild Thing, junebug color with a screw in bullit sinker. I started one one side of the tree and worked my way around the outside edge of the tree. Coming around to the other side of the tree I dropped the wild thing down in the vee of a branch. Something felt funny almost like a snag. The snag started to move. Thinking it was a small fish I pulled and it gave no headway. I was using a St Croix 7ft heavy action with a Curado and 50lb. power-pro. My kness started to shake as I realized there was something bigger than the dinks I usually catch(lol). It felt like a was fighting a cement block. With the power-pro it wasn't a long fight. I wanted to give an Ike yell. But all I could do was thank the Lord. I had with me an old de liar I think it called scale that went to 10 lbs. She burried the scale. Next what do I do? No camera. Should I leave and take the bass to be weighed on a certified scale because this baby might have been more than 10lbs. I thought about it and decided to return her to the water. I called my buddy at work and told him what I caught. He told me his friend saw the bass a couple of times. I was so happy and nervous that I didn't measure her. But my guess was 26in. or better. I am now happy for the rest of my life lol. Me and the Lord know I caught this baby. Needless to say I will be going back to that little trout lake again.

Bob
AWSOME! WAY TO GO! If you're ever in central florida, I'll buy you a beer or two or however many you need for returning the fish instead of keeping it just for proof. It was a 10lbs fish, you shoulda let out an Ike yell, you earned it unlike him yelling over 1.2 lbs fish. The last 26inch fish I caught weight 6lbs, but it was also in late april/early may so she more than likely just dumped her rowe causing the low weight. My fist was literally bouncing around in her mouth, and I don't have small hands by any means. There is a lake around here called Trout Lake, after reading your story, I might have to hit it up. Good job.
Old 09-17-05, 12:13 AM   #4
KH.

shoot i give ike yells whenever i catch a 5,no wonderin what i will do when i get my 10 pounder
Old 09-17-05, 07:48 AM   #5
southernsnatcher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

congrats on the hawg...i bet you will always bring a camera with you now..
southernsnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-05, 11:14 AM   #6
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hey way to go man gitn r done
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-05, 06:17 AM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That's just plain old AWESOME, congrats, and go catch her again!

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.