Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-08, 03:33 PM   #1
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ardent Reels!!!

Forget about the rating read what they say. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewardentxs1000.html
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 04:04 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Recently, a guy at Cabela's told me the only good thing about ardent reels is they're made in the US.

BB
Old 05-27-08, 11:06 PM   #3
Bender

I think I talked to the same guy at Cabelas and from the demo that I handled I have to agree. Then the guy started showing me the Steez when I said I like the Core. For me it is very hard to find a real that fits my palm, hence one of the reasons I don't like the revos either.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 11:16 PM   #4
BigBassin144

I have small hands so I really don't care for the shimano's or quantums because of their size. Which is one of threasons I like the Revos and most Daiwa reels.

The new Skeet Reese REVO looks awesome though.

BB
Old 05-27-08, 11:18 PM   #5
WTL

I have heard widely mixed reviews on them. A lot of the hype seems to be that they are US made, and for me the bottom line is performance and durability and not where it was made.
Old 05-28-08, 12:54 AM   #6
Raul

You can polish a turd and youīll end up with a shiny turd.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 11:26 AM   #7
Lilmoosecountry

Why have fishermen become prissy little women these days. I think this is a start in the right direction. I have an old shimano V mag from 1988. I think some of you old guy's remebor reels like those. In comparison Ardent is starting with a better reel than shimano first started with.
Old 05-28-08, 11:58 AM   #8
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I have small hands BB

I couldn't resist...
Old 05-28-08, 12:38 PM   #9
WTL

Well yea, the shimano you are talking about is 20 years old. I saw a 30 dollar shakespeare reel in walmart a few minutes ago that was better than most high dollar reels that are 20 years old.

Aint nothing wrong with it, I just think you like Ardent because they are Made in the USA. Thats great, and I'm glad they are getting a start. From what I've heard they just arent there yet. I'm sure in the future they will make fine reels.
Old 05-28-08, 01:00 PM   #10
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Well yea, the shimano you are talking about is 20 years old. I saw a 30 dollar shakespeare reel in walmart a few minutes ago that was better than most high dollar reels that are 20 years old.

Aint nothing wrong with it, I just think you like Ardent because they are Made in the USA. Thats great, and I'm glad they are getting a start. From what I've heard they just arent there yet. I'm sure in the future they will make fine reels.
Look WTL your a swell guy!!! My comparison was were shimano was when they first started. I don't take anybodys word in what they say. Only mine!!! Go see one for yourself & make the comparison. Opinions are like arses every one has one. And because of that i investigate things for myself. I am an Old school fishermen. This reel reminds me allot of the old school reels. But what's really wrong with V-mags, Garcia 3500's, Heddin mark 5's. There are more of these old school reels around second hand than there is this new stuff. By the way these reels were'nt top of line when they come out. Yet they have a cult like status today for many people. Big purty shiny over priced reels with plastic gears won't be around 20 yrs from now. The diawa steez could'nt ever stand up to the abuse or torment or feal as good as a lews speed spool.
Old 05-28-08, 01:06 PM   #11
WTL

Thats true, I'm not taking any one person's word as gospel though - either pro or con. It has been my expereince that every reel manufacturer will occasionally let a lemon get off the assembly line.

I like the older Garicas myself, I believe we talked about this in another thread. I hope Ardent makes a good reel, but I wont take your word for it and I wont naively believe that just because they are made domestically they have to be good. When I get my chance to palm one you can be sure I will, the monkey would never forgive me if I didn't.
Old 05-28-08, 01:08 PM   #12
Lilmoosecountry

There yeah go thatz all i'm asking!!!
Old 05-28-08, 03:56 PM   #13
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
You can polish a turd and youīll end up with a shiny turd.
Don't believe I heard that one before! Great comparison though!
Old 05-28-08, 04:00 PM   #14
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
The diawa steez could'nt ever stand up to the abuse or torment or feal as good as a lews speed spool.
I love my Lew's Speed Spools, they are almost identical today as when they first came out! Great designs like the ABu Garcia Round reels just last forever.
The beauty is in the simplicity of the design.
Old 05-28-08, 04:10 PM   #15
BigBassin144

I've held the Steez, and quite frankly, it feels cheap. I know it isn't but it feels like it's made of plastic. I'm sure it's a perfectly fine reel, but to me it's so light it feel like it would break very easily.

BB
Old 05-28-08, 07:07 PM   #16
WTL

I agree on the Steez.

I was in marketing 300 once upon a time, and we had a discussion about how sometimes price can be used to market.

The example was given that there was a major guitar manufacturer that introduced a mid to cheap level guitar and had it priced to sell., When they did this, it failed as a product. They sold very few.

Then they raised the prices by a couple hundred dollars. Suddenly, the damn sales took off. Volumn actually INCREASED even though the price was merely made higher.

The reason why was that people were buying their guitar mostly on the basis of prestige, not actual quality, and price factored into that prestige. When the guitar was priced cheap, people saw it as a cheap guitar. They thought it would make em sound bad. When they raised the price to expensive, they suddenly thought it was a very good guitar and would make up for defects in their playing.
Old 05-28-08, 08:43 PM   #17
BigBassin144

that's really interesting. Makes sense though. The guy I talked ot at cabela's was kind of telling us the same tihng about the Revo SX and STX. There's not too much difference, but he said he's sold more STX's. Pretty much the same thing.

BB
Old 05-28-08, 09:31 PM   #18
bamabassman

i agree. like when my brother started playing golf. he went through 5 sets of clubs in his first year. 2 sets were "hand made just for him". said that it would improve his game. now i agree that a set made can do that for you. but after you get the first set made, you need to use them for more than a couple of games to decide if they are right for you. like maybe a year or 2. so get a combo and fish it more than once before you throw it away. give it a chance, it could be you that is messing up. not the combo. am i right in this theory?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 01:09 PM   #19
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've held the Steez, and quite frankly, it feels cheap. I know it isn't but it feels like it's made of plastic. I'm sure it's a perfectly fine reel, but to me it's so light it feel like it would break very easily.

BB
It feels different which doesnīt mean itīs made cheap, itīs got the best materials and a magnesium alloy frame and handle sideplate called by Daiwa "Air Metal" that they only use in their top of the line magnesium reels ( TDX Air Metal, TDZ, TDZ Big Bait Special, Pixy and Steez ), it uses aluminum alloy gearing that itīs actually harder than brass, there arenīt many plastic components in the reel, non handle sideplate is lexan which is a plastic tougher than aluminum, in other words, space age materials tougher, harder, more long lasting than conventional materials.

Think about this, if somebody told you that the jet plane you are about to board to travel is 70% composite materials would you board it ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 02:03 PM   #20
BigBassin144

I know, the steez isn't a cheap reel, all I'm saying is that it feels like it is. It's just weird for it to be so light.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.