Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-08, 10:57 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Finishing up the Flippin' Stik

Hey guys, we're just getting done (finally) with building my flippin' stik. We put the epoxy on and it's drying over night. Can't wait till I can fish with it, and I should be able to by tomarrow afternoon.

I don't have any pics of making the handle, but here it is complete. We fit all the cork and shapped it on the lathe. The butt cap is not on yet, but That'll be done next. We needed to leave it off to take the telescoping part out.

It took me a while to pick out the colors. i was originally going to go with black, red, and grey, but the darker colors would'nt show up as good on the slate blank. Then I was debating over blue/silver, green/gold, red/gold, or green/silver. I ended up going with the green and gold (which happen to be my school colors.)

Had tape on the blank to show where the guides went, then put them on and teped them in place.

Started wrapping with the green thread (will add the gold band later)

Time for the Gold

Then we move to the butt wrap and hook holder. Not too much room, so nothing fancy.

Gold underwrap fo rthe hook holder.

Start with green, then double, the a thing band of green to finish at the hook holder.

Same on the other side

And finally a close up of the double color. I really like how these look.

We also wrapped up to where the tip will be, but I don't have a picture of that. I'll try to get that picture and some of the finished product tomarrow.

BB
Old 05-27-08, 11:03 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

dude it looks sweet man , i like the idea of you putting the effort into making something rather than going out and buying one , i've been giving the idea of building one myself a lot of thought lately as well . and the gold and green wrap looks awesome , can't wait to see the fish it catches .
Old 05-27-08, 11:13 PM   #3
WTL

Hey you're pretty good at that. Looks great.
Old 05-27-08, 11:18 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Thanks WTL, but my dad built it. I don't have near enough patience. Now I just gotta get a reel for it... Can't wait to get it out and fish is, especially at G-ville.

Jim, thanks, I was really pleased how the colors turned out. I was kind of iffy about using my highschool colors, but I won't remember that when I'm fishing with it, and it looks good.

BB
Old 05-27-08, 11:46 PM   #5
Jim80

don't worry about the high school colors mine were black and gold if i stayed away from those a lot of stuff would be ruled out .
Old 05-28-08, 01:20 AM   #6
WTL

Don't worry, we'll Christen that rod on a nice 5 pounder the first day.
Old 05-28-08, 09:30 AM   #7
Lilmoosecountry

As a Rod builder i would like to tell you that you did a nice job. Is this your first rod. When you catch you first fish with it. That fish will mean more to you regardless of it's size. I have a 50 gallon barrel of blanks here. I love finding cheap old fiborglass rods. I strip them for there blanks. They make good crappie poles, When your rerapping every thing they look good as new. I get 45 a piece for mine. I have an old man that buy's every one i make.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 10:26 AM   #8
bamabassman

uuuhhhhh, hey bb.....uuuummmmm that rod ain't leaving my boat you know. once it gets in MY boat, it STAYS THERE PAL. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. who needs the bait monkey when i got bb and kingfish? not too much a price to pay is it? just an ol rod and reel, huh? hahahahahahaha, kidding of course. but i DO want a real close up look at that rod when you get here buddy. might even talk ol kingfish into making me one?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 12:37 PM   #9
BigBassin144

WTL, that sounds like a great idea.

moose, my forst rod, yes. my dads, no. I pretty much just helped. This was however his first in a long time. He used to make most of his rods including some 6' boron spinning rods (before graphite became very popular), noodle rods for steelhead fishing and a couple flyrods (also for steelhead fishing). We hit a few bumps in the road, but it all worked out.

bama, I may just have to not take it on your boat. wait... then I can't catch a 5lber with it.... what a dilema. Don't worry though, I am bringing it, It's just that I hope I have a reel for it.

BB
Old 05-28-08, 01:01 PM   #10
bamabassman

not to worry pal, hehehe. give me the rod.... i already have a reel for it. hahahaha. kidding again. can't wait to see it. may talk to kingfish about making me a 5 piece split cane fly rod. has he ever done that before? and get the abu silvermax. or upgrade a little and get the 89 dollar abu. both are at wally world. the $89.00 one is gold in color. great reels for the money, i have 2 silvermax's and one of the other. if you ain't got a reel by the time you get here, you can test mine and see ifn you like em.
Old 05-28-08, 07:23 PM   #11
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Dude, go with that new Skeet reel you're diggin'. That gold will match that yellow sweet. That reel also has a 6.4:1, excellent for flippin'!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 08:40 PM   #12
BigBassin144

If I could afford it, I would. But like I said, I'm gonna have to borrow some money to get a cheaper reel in time for G-ville.

BB
Old 05-28-08, 08:46 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Hey, I've got some more pictures of the rod since the epoxy's all dried.

Here's a pic of the tip that i didn't have before.

And the but wrap. I didn't have a picture of the last thing we added to it either. (the gold band at the end.)

'

BB
Old 05-28-08, 08:54 PM   #14
Buzz Wing

Big,

Seriously, I would just wit until you can afford a good reel. As many people experience, a cheap reel is exactly that, cheap. Couldn't you change-out one of your other reels for your flippin' stick?

-Buzz
Old 05-28-08, 08:57 PM   #15
BigBassin144

The only one I can spare, is my cheap daiwa procaster.... And you really don't need an expensive reel for flippin, cause you dan't have to cast lnog distances. And if I recall, in the expensive rod or reel thread you were the one who said, "all a reel does is hold line"

BB
Old 05-28-08, 08:57 PM   #16
BigBassin144

hehehehehe, I wonder if my dad would let me use his new Zillion.. I'd be reeling it funny though, the handle's on the wrong side.

BB
Old 05-28-08, 09:00 PM   #17
Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The only one I can spare, is my cheap daiwa procaster.... And you really don't need an expensive reel for flippin, cause you dan't have to cast lnog distances. And if I recall, in the expensive rod or reel thread you were the one who said, "all a reel does is hold line"

BB

If I did have to choose between a cheap rod or cheap reel, I would choose a reel, but since I have the oppotunity to save money, I'd do just that, save money and wait.

BTW, you have to get out here again. We need to show dem bass a lesson or three out on Mudson...

-Buzz
Old 05-28-08, 09:08 PM   #18
BigBassin144

We may be able to depending on what mother nature decides to throw at us. (and what my mom decides to make us do )

BB
Old 05-28-08, 09:18 PM   #19
Buzz Wing

I get back from Alaska on the 19th, maybe we can make it sometime after that.

-Buzz
Old 05-28-08, 09:23 PM   #20
bamabassman

bb, bring the rod buddy. i'll let you borrow my abu silvermax (got 2). it has mono on it though. but ifn you want to try out the rod, you can bring some of the line that you perfer and we'll change it out. i got plenty of mono to put back on it afterwards pal. bring the rod and we'll get it set up for you, ok? heck, we might even try out the other abu reel i got just to give you an idea of how you like em, deal? i got plenty of reels to use pal. can't throw but 1 at a time ya know, hahahaha.
Old 05-28-08, 10:39 PM   #21
BigBassin144

I'm definately bringing the rod, and I would really like to have a reel for it by then, but I don't know if I'll be able to get one. Thanks for the offer John, sounds good.

My dad wants to post some pictures of his fancy steelhead flyrod so I might tomarrow. He wants to show off his fancy Double Chevron. I guess I should post the pics for him since he did build me a rod and all.

BB
Old 05-28-08, 10:46 PM   #22
bamabassman

did you ask if he has ever built a split cane flyrod? would love have one. maybe next year i will be able to afford one. if he can, how much he charge me. and i would like it to be a 3 pc, 9' long. thanks bb.
Old 05-28-08, 11:07 PM   #23
BigBassin144

I don't know, I'll have to ask him. I keep tellin' him he should post himself, but he insists that I type for him cause he's a slow typer. I'll have him read this though.

BB
Old 05-28-08, 11:09 PM   #24
bamabassman

thanks. gone to hit the hay for tonight. check ya'll tomorrow gang.
Old 05-29-08, 08:42 AM   #25
Bob Smith

I'm hoping to see that thing in person maybe Friday evening at Guntersville. Looks like you guys did a beautiful job on it!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.