Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-29-08, 02:38 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thumbs up Hello from south fla

Well we made it to Clearwater last weekend and have been bassfishing
every day! We drove 2 hours south of venice to our house we rented in
Rotundo west....our screened in pool is about 15 feet from a golf course and a 30 acre bass pond, the gulf is on the other side of the road. First day I hit one of the canals that are behind every street in this t
own, caught 18 bass on crankbaits, only problem was they were all 13 inchers, still fun. Next day I hit another body of water and it was 5 and 4 pounders all day on anything crome and blue ....no pics tho, we brought my wifes new camera and its too hot to lug around..about 92 each day and it gets down to 80 at night...
Yesterday an today fished with senko's most of the time, when we arent bass fishing we go to the gulf beaches and take pics..we are due to fly in
next sat. about noon.
Had one wild experience tho, I'd hit the canals after grilling dinner, throwing crankbaits, they ywont hit top water for me, anyways, I am standing on a drain tile, get my fotting on the sand, andbout look down at a gater about 6 inches from my foot! It was only about 4ft long and didnt move, i just backed off and went to the next canal after bout loading my diaper LOL...
I am back in Clearwater this afternoon at my sons condo on the gulf, and will post pics this weekend..been great time so far!
Everyone i talk to is either into mullet or tarpen fishing, my neighbor yesterday said he fought a tarpen for 1/2 hour till it broke off.
Getting a killer tan too! Most of the day is spent swimming, then fishing, coming home to grill, then meet up with about 15 relatives on wifes side for dinner n pool..they have a great canal behind thier house, its brackish muddy water, lots of dinks, however I had about a 7 pounder to the bank yesterday when she threw the tikki stick , a crane the was watching me laughed LOL........oh and btw fla. drivers (old ones ) suck at driving!
LIke Zooker said, they treat the snowbird yankees like shYt but who cares, I am fishing every day and looking at the scenery..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 04:32 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That's sounds like a great time JB. No pics? I figured you'd hang around and get a couple pics of that little gator for us.

BB
Old 05-29-08, 06:06 PM   #3
bamabassman

yea jb. spent almost 20 yrs near there. and even though i am FROM the south. they still called me a yankee too. glad you are having fun. the bass are a little small there. good luck on the rest of your trip pal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 08:27 AM   #4
JRL
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds like you found some excellent lakes.

Im not a big fan of the Tampa/Clearwater area either, its not really indicative of what the rest of Florida is like.
Old 05-31-08, 10:02 AM   #5
keithdog

Sounds like your having a great time JB. I've spent a lot of time in those parts, and have had a great time haulin bass. I was wondering what the name of the lake is your fishing down there? All the bass fishing I've done down there has been on Lake Tarpon, located just north of Clearwater at Tarpon Springs. I got into some bass fising over a three day period that was a bass fishermans dream come true. It was one of those times that you would get a strike vertually 7 casts out of 10. But you had to be in the right area with exactly the right lure or you would get nothing. We were several hundred yards off shore fishing a weedbed that was about 40 yards wide and a few hundred yards long in about 15-20 feet of water. And it HAD to be a jointed minnow bait or you wouldn't catch a thing. We would simply motor to one end of the bed, and cast and drift to the other end. It was a blast. Post some pics when you can.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 07:54 PM   #6
JB

Hey Keith
we just got back and I fished most of the lakes an canals in rotundo-west, no names but I've never seen so many bodies of water in my life..we have plenty of picks to develop tomorrow of the area, But i didnt take the camera in the 90+ degree sun in the canals...most of the time the fish were the same size as here, but Tuesday I fished a canal that yeilded 4-5 pounders all day, mid day.
heres the beach in front of my sons condo at Clearwater, that was a blast to throw the frisbee and swim all day( an look at girls )

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 08:08 PM   #7
bamabassman

hahahaha jb, betcha seen a lot of beached WHALES too, lol. they ain't really whales jb...they are people. and after a day in the sun, they look like swollen lobsters, hahahahaha. glad you are having a great time pal. post some "good" pics ok? heheheheh.
Old 05-31-08, 08:09 PM   #8
keithdog

Thats a great beach JB. I'm jealous as all get out. That greek pizza joint across the street from Clearwater Beach has pretty damn good pizza. I've had pizza there every time I go there. It's a requirment for us! The lake in Tarpon Springs I was telling you about, Tarpon Lake, is a big lake. Three miles wide and seven miles long. There was a marina there that rented boats to go fishing. It's been several years since I have been there but I'm sure it's still there.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 08:13 PM   #9
bamabassman

it sure is keithdog. great idea for ol jb. go get them jb!!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.