Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-08, 08:58 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Ball Bearings

I know we covered something about bearing not too long ago, but I've got another thought for you guys. When we were looking at reels at Cabela's, the guy behind the counter told us that number of bearing doesn't really matter. he saids it's the quality of the bearing.

Now I could see how the quality of the bearing would give the reel a longer life, but to me, it just seems that quality bearings qouldn't make the reel smoother than more bearings.

What do you all think?

BB
Old 05-30-08, 09:31 AM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

think about bearings like this , when i was younger and skated they made a huge difference in how the wheels spun so look at say say an abec bearing one that is rated a 2 isn't bad but *** you get higher in the numbers they bearing actually spins better or more freely , when that happens it is less resistence on the moving parts of the reel and the actual bearing will last longers as well . a gerneral rule of thumb in items like reels or other mechanical setups is friction is bad it creates heat which in turn makes other metal surfaces swell or grow a little bit which leads to more wear , with the better bearing some of that is avoided .
Old 05-30-08, 09:44 AM   #3
WTL

A lot of people upgrade their reels to abec 7 or ceramic bearings, I do know that much. The whole bearing count thing just sorta seems like a marketing ploy to me considering the fact that the only thing I know that needs bearings right now is the spool shaft, and it dont take no 10. Yea I guess its nice in the handles.
Old 05-30-08, 09:49 AM   #4
doc

I have a browning with 10, the reel is complete ****.

I have a revo prm. with 5 the reel casts a mile, reels like butter, and has 20+ pounds of consistent drag. Quality over quantity
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 09:50 AM   #5
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
A lot of people upgrade their reels to abec 7 or ceramic bearings, I do know that much. The whole bearing count thing just sorta seems like a marketing ploy to me considering the fact that the only thing I know that needs bearings right now is the spool shaft, and it dont take no 10. Yea I guess its nice in the handles.
gotta agree outside of the spool and handle theres not many other places were the bearing is needed .
Old 05-30-08, 09:51 AM   #6
doc

Also cheaper reels with more bearings = more stuff that can break
Old 05-30-08, 12:42 PM   #7
Raul

Performance wise the two most important bearings in a reel are the spool supporting bearings, itīs a matter of how long and how easy those bearings allow you to cast. More bearings in other places only make the reel smoother. You see a reel with a 10 bearing count subtract 4 to the count because those 4 are in the handle knobs.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 01:22 PM   #8
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

when i first start out for the year i take down my reels and put WD40 in them.. reel them in the yard with egg weights.. then take them apart and put anti-seize . graphite.. they want to hang for the first bit.. then after that they work awesome!
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 01:28 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

WD-40 can ruin your reels if it is not all removed. The only reason to use WD-40 on reels is so clean them. then you wipe it all of, then use reel grease/oil.

As for the bearings, I do think that quality beraing are important, and they do help. I also think that adding more bearings helps too, I mean the companies wouldn't put them in there if they did nothing.

BB
Old 05-30-08, 03:19 PM   #10
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i know. reel grease.. but living away from everything.. you make do.. but i get the wd40 off the gears..
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 03:49 PM   #11
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Doc,

Speaking of drag, my Pflueger Supreme has a light drag. Even on Tackle Tour, they could only get something like 7-pounds out of it. I'd really have expected more...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 03:59 PM   #12
doc

tackle Tour got 24 lbs out of the revo premier if i remember correctly.
Old 05-30-08, 04:28 PM   #13
Raul

7 lbs drag vs 24 lbs drag, it sounds like a pee distance competition, more doesnīt mean better, itīs how you use the drag and how it behaves whatīs important, the drag is there to protect your line and rod, you are not fishing for a 500 lbs marlin, you are fishing for ( in the best case you hope ) a 15-18 pound bass ( which many probably wonīt ever see ), 7 pounds is a lot more than you usually need even in the most weed/wood infested waters. Need more power ? use heavier line and a heavier power rod.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-08, 10:57 PM   #14
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
7 lbs drag vs 24 lbs drag, it sounds like a pee distance competition, more doesnīt mean better, itīs how you use the drag and how it behaves whatīs important, the drag is there to protect your line and rod, you are not fishing for a 500 lbs marlin, you are fishing for ( in the best case you hope ) a 15-18 pound bass ( which many probably wonīt ever see ), 7 pounds is a lot more than you usually need even in the most weed/wood infested waters. Need more power ? use heavier line and a heavier power rod.

Very true. Skilled anglers in my area nail 30# King Salmon with as little as 4# test (mono) and 2 lbs. of drag. It is sometimes difficult for us bass anglers to get over misconceptions and perceptions. 7# of drag is plenty and it doesn't hurt to have 24# in a revo, but for most bass applications, it is not necessary. Nice to have, but not necessary.
Old 06-02-08, 07:33 PM   #15
Captmikestarrett

If really want to know the answer check out these guys.

http://hatterasoutfitters.com/

They have trick parts not found anywhere else..

But you gotta embrace round reels.

I just love there stuff.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.