Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-08, 10:25 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default G-Loomis

I know G-Loomis recently switched blanks of their rods. The new ones are supposedly not as good. And after talking to someone in the parking lot of Cabela's I found out that the company that used to make Loomis's blanks now makes their own rods on the same blanks as the old Loomis for much less money. Does anyone know where to get these or at least what the company is called?

Thanks
BB
Old 06-17-08, 10:49 AM   #2
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't think that is quite accurate. Gary Loomis did sell the rod making company to Shimano at one point. I think Shimano had changed the formulas and maybe even the mandrils and the rolling machines (don't know what those are actually called). Then because they were still carrying Gary Loomis's name and the fact he didn't like what Shimano was doing bought it back from them and for the last 4 or 5 years has been the owner. I think Shimano only owned it for 3 to 5 years. I don't know how to tell the difference between the Gary Loomis Owned manufactured rods and the Shimano owned manufactured rods. I did just see a speacial on PBS about how Fly Rod Blanks are made and they used G.Loomis and Sage as the two company's. I am pretty sure the Loomis Rods manufactured under Gary Loomis's ownership still have the same quality and standard as they did before he sold to Shimano. The only thing that has changed is the warranty.
It could be that the person you were talking to was Speaking about when they re-formulated the Premier series of rods and change the name to GL2, and re-formulated the IM6 and called it GL3, but that is as much as I can tell you about it.
Old 06-17-08, 11:44 AM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have heard rumors that the main guy who made the blanks for Loomis left and started BR Outlaw Rods. I have an Outlaw and it is a great rod, but I don't know if there is any truth to the rumor.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 04:29 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Bender, where did you get that rod?The guy that told me about the rods got his from a tackle shop in MI, but I frogt the name of it or where exactly it is.

BB
Old 06-17-08, 06:46 PM   #5
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

http://www.broutlawrods.com/home.html

BB
quick google search and found this. dealer list shows 3 in MI. all their stuff priced at $129. not bad if the g.loomis pedigree is correct.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 09:21 PM   #6
BigBassin144

YES!!! That is it! KD outdoors in Waterford! That's the store the guy told me about! Thanks a bunch guys! According ot the guy I talked to, this was the company that made Loomis Blank after Gary Loomis and Before shimano bought them. If I remember correctly, the rod is equivalent to the G-Loomis IMX series, for much, much less $$$. The baitmonkey is happy now!

Thanks again so much guys!!

BB
Old 06-17-08, 09:37 PM   #7
bothomas

I've been thinking about getting a new rod for flipping........I may have to try one out!!
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 09:40 PM   #8
BigBassin144

I was looking at that site, check this out!

http://www.broutlawrods.com/catalog.html

BB
Old 06-17-08, 10:24 PM   #9
bothomas

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! $#%!@*&^$ Damn monkey!!! I just ordered a brand new B and R outlaws 7'6" MH. I guess I'll let you guys know how it is as soon as it gets here.............Damn that hurt. Monkey's got teeth!
Old 06-17-08, 11:13 PM   #10
BigBassin144

You actually just bought one! That's one strong monkey. How far did he have to twist your arm?

Let us know how it is, I'm tihnking of replacing my BPS pro qualifier with a heavier rod, and want a good rod for not a lot of $$$.

BB
Old 06-17-08, 11:30 PM   #11
bothomas

As soon as it arrives I'll spool it up with #65, tie on a 1 oz. jig, and go hit the grass mats. I'm sure I can break it in and let you guys know how it feels after pitching lead all day and pulling through hydrilla. That funky monkey!
Old 06-17-08, 11:53 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Those B&R Outlaw rods have a pretty good warranty. Send hte rod back with $50.00 and get a new one, no questions asked. The baitmonkey is just wishing that I had more money. Whenn I get some money, I know where it's going. To get me 6'6" MH rod anda Revo SXL.

BB
Old 06-18-08, 02:50 AM   #13
Bender

I really like mine, but I got it when they first came out for $99.
I was just up at KD and bought an Okuma rod, not sure why, I guess cause I never had one. It is still sitting with the tags on it. I have been trying to standardize rods, but maybe I can just narrow it down to 2 or 3 which would be B&R, Fenwick, and Falcon. Oh wait, I like the Shimano Crucial too, and I have been meaning to get some Claruses from tacklewarehouse for $45, and Powells, and ...........
In summary I really like it, a lot. I use it probably more than any of my other rods in the summer for shaky head.

Last edited by Bender; 06-18-08 at 03:00 AM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 05:37 AM   #14
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bo

def keep us updated on that rod and how you like it. i almost let the monkey get me on a 7'6" H. i was able to fend him off, at least for now.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 10:46 AM   #15
bothomas

You are a stronger man than I. Ordered a new Shimano Castaic this morning to bolt on it. I'm not even any good at pitching heavy mats. But I made a decision to stay at it till I get confident in it this summer. Thats how I justify buying a new setup, and now I can use my old setup just for throwing the frog on the same mats and switching back and forth quickly. See, it wasn't the monkey. This was just the best logical decision to make. What kind of boats are best for fishing mats????? what? No! get away from me you evil Monkey!!
Old 06-18-08, 12:49 PM   #16
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothomas View Post
. I'm not even any good at pitching heavy mats.
Now you have an excuse to practice and get good at it.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 01:02 PM   #17
islandbass

Quote:
You are a stronger man than I. Ordered a new Shimano Castaic this morning to bolt on it. I'm not even any good at pitching heavy mats. But I made a decision to stay at it till I get confident in it this summer. Thats how I justify buying a new setup, and now I can use my old setup just for throwing the frog on the same mats and switching back and forth quickly. See, it wasn't the monkey. This was just the best logical decision to make. What kind of boats are best for fishing mats????? what? No! get away from me you evil Monkey!!

Do you use lefty models? I know of someone selling a lefty in great shape for $75
Old 06-18-08, 01:44 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Quote:
What kind of boats are best for fishing mats????? what? No! get away from me you evil Monkey!!
I'd say anything that costs more than $45,000 should suffice.

BB
Old 06-20-08, 10:06 PM   #19
Fishbear

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

I am looking at B&R rods very hard. I actually spoke to Robert Nosbisch for almost 30 min. the other day, talking about his rods and how the actions compare to say St. Croix, and Gloomis. He is very committed to his line of rods and will back them up 100% against anyone elses rod that costs 2 - 3 times as much. He also is a fisherman first a businessman second. He would rather be out on the water with his boys, than at the office.

He has also answered every one of my emails personally. It may take a day or two, but he will answer you if you email him or call and leave him a message. The phone # on the website is his personal Cellphone.
Fishbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 10:51 PM   #20
bcklash

I'll bet the outlaw rods are good rods, but let me tell what this week to the bassinbandit--broke his g-loomis rod on Sunday in a tournament, called g-loomis on Tuesday, new rod came in the mail today no questions asked. cost him 50.00 and sent the broken rod back in the tube the new came in. You just can't beat that kind of service.
Old 06-23-08, 02:51 PM   #21
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

I don't know about the new blanks, but I love my GL3. That thing has some serious backbone; it's light too!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 09:18 PM   #22
BigBassin144

I told you that youwere moving up to better rods

BB
Old 06-23-08, 09:21 PM   #23
Buzz Wing

When I bought it in Alaska, I sat it next to my St. Croix I brought up there. I think my St. Croix is mad at me now...lol

-Buzz
Old 06-23-08, 09:25 PM   #24
BigBassin144

It has a right to be. It hoped you'd never find out how much better other rods were....

BB
Old 06-23-08, 09:31 PM   #25
Buzz Wing

The only reason I bought it is because it was there, I had the money, and it was the exact rod I was going to buy when I got home. I would've bought a St. Croix, but since it was there, I had to do it. It still is heavier than my 7'6'' St. Croix though..

-Buzz

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.