Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-08, 09:24 PM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default Tournament

Readin' some old posts and thought about starting a tournament if Kevin and all would like to join in.

I was thinking something along the lines of tournament by region, mostly south, norht, and west. Each category would get its own prize, (not yet determined), and have its own champion.

What do ya'll think? Any rules you would like to add that normal tournaments don't have?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 09:27 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I do believe there is a forum tourny. But I'm sure Kevin will get to it, since he is done with the awesome video.

BB
Old 06-24-08, 04:38 PM   #3
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I agree with BB, but if it is by region, what would you consider West?
Old 06-24-08, 04:44 PM   #4
Jim80

clear definition of the areas would be needed , and everybody would need to post pics of their catches with dates so old catches couldn't be used it would be a little tough to run a tourny were most the people are in dif states unless there was a moderater for each region or something along those lines maybe pick one or two lakes out of a region and catches would have to come from there .
Old 06-24-08, 05:35 PM   #5
doc

Bring it on
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 08:21 PM   #6
Buzz Wing

Default Tournament Rules (Rough Draft)

Thought some stuff out last night. Here's some of the criterion I pondered:

REGION:

WEST- Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Hawaii*, and Texas** including all states west to the Pacific Ocean. Lake Falcon is excluded due to it's postinion in the United States and Mexico.

SOUTH- Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia*.

NORTH- North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire.

EAST- Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maryland, and Delaware.

* Hawaii is known to grow some big bass, but since nobody from the board is from Hawaii, it will either be thrown out or put in the WEST Division.

** Texas has some giant bass, almost close to the world records grown in California, so it may be either WEST or SOUTH, depending upon a majority vote of the board.
  • Rivers, ponds, lakes, sloughs, etc. are all fair territory for the tournament.
  • Artificial bait only.
  • Card with Bass Fishin' Forums username and picture of lure in fishes mouth in each picture.
  • Rod, reel, line, and single, double, or treble hook may be used only. This includes flies, fly line, and fly rods/reels.

Well? Anything you'd like to add?

-Buzz
Old 06-24-08, 08:55 PM   #7
Jim80

your north and east are a little mixed up but i'll figure that out in a minute , ok , new york , new hampshire should be east seeing how new york is south of ct
Old 06-24-08, 08:56 PM   #8
Jim80

measurements should also be included in the pictures go by the tournament calculator to keep it fair .
Old 06-24-08, 11:05 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Here's a map. color coded. yeah, I'm bored... Texas was a bit iffy, but I included it in the west cause CA needs some competition. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is it the state the fish was caught in, or where the fisherman lives?

BB
Old 06-24-08, 11:17 PM   #10
Buzz Wing

That looks good! What does everybody think?

Also, what about prizes? How should we situate stuff like that?

-Buzz
Old 06-24-08, 11:24 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Here's something else. It seems a bit more balances this way. But Texas is still up in the air. If it is not included in the west, CA has a kind of unfair advantage.

BB
Old 06-24-08, 11:37 PM   #12
Buzz Wing

But what does that signify?
Old 06-24-08, 11:40 PM   #13
BigBassin144

What, the red striped on Texas? That signifies that it is still undecided. Could go either way, but I am leaning towards West.

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 06-24-08 at 11:43 PM. Reason: ugh... I can't type
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 12:33 AM   #14
senko

Ah man, don't put Texas in the west, cause then I gotta go against guys like Reb!
Old 06-25-08, 06:54 AM   #15
bamabassman

what are the lists? biggest? most? smallest? (smallest..you KNOW who'd win that right? hahahaha)
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 07:48 AM   #16
Jim80

mint BB the map looks great . we should prob do largest/heaviest fish and the most caught for a combined weight ( pictures for that category would all have to be dated for the same day / trip ) and how long would you want to run the tourny a couple weeks or something ?
don't worry about texas in the west , arizona has some pretty good fisheries as well . prize wize i have no idea if bragging rights isn't enough we'll figured something out .
Old 06-25-08, 07:52 AM   #17
Jim80

almost forgot it should be were the fish is caught and not were the fisherman lives , for example if i was in texas and caught a personal best it would ive me an advantage over the rest of the guys in the north so it should be were the fish is caught .
Old 06-25-08, 08:04 AM   #18
Nitro911

I guess my question would be why is Falcon excluded? Half of the lake is in the state of Texas, so why can't the Texas side be fished? And you didn't exclude Amistad, and it is the same setup as Falcon. What about Toledo Bend? It shares a border with Louisiana and would put us in a different state and region? Texhoma would do the same.

And if we are excluding Texas' big bass lakes, does that mean we in Texas can randomly choose 2 lakes from each of the other states to exclude from their allowed fishing waters?

Not trying to be contrary here, but excluding lakes that are legal fishing waters in the state they are in seems like a bad way to run a tournament to me. I haven't fished in any of the other tournaments, and likely won't fish this one, but that just doesn't seem right.
Old 06-25-08, 08:06 AM   #19
Jim80

1 more thing we should get a list of the guys who will participate together and post them by region before we start , outings wouldn't have to be reported just results and pics . pictures of fish caught should have to be posted within 24 hours of being caught to qualify and if you feel like it you could do a fun bracket like largest blue gill and so just a idea .
Old 06-25-08, 09:24 AM   #20
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think you should put the big-bass states of California, Texas and Florida in a category of their own. To put say, Oklahoma and Florida or Colorado and California in the same region is unfair. I think you need to look at the state records of each state and group the states in 3 or 4 classes based on state records or another criteria so it would be more fair.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 11:01 AM   #21
Fishnngolfn

I'll will play as long as the tournament covers several days.
I have a few points and questions though.
I catch and release 100% of my fish when I am fishing alone. The only time I keep some and take my time to weigh and measure the fish is when I am fishing with a certain fishing buddy on certain clean lakes.

I can take pictures, measurements, and weigh each fish I catch as best I can before it is too late for the fish but my goal is to get the fish back in the water before it dies. Also, who is too say that the fish was caught that day? I think that for the tournament, Kevin (or whoever is running the tourney) should post an attachment that has the date and a logo that only he knows about. Everyone participating can download the image and the date and print it to a piece of paper. This piece of paper must be visible in each photograph that is submitted.

I think 3 photos must be submitted for each fish in order for that fish to count.
1. A pic with a tape measure showing the length of the fish.
2. A pic with a tape measure showing the girth of the fish.
3. A pic showing the person who caught the fish, holding the fish and the piece of paper with the date and "special" logo on it.

I don't know how the 3rd one will be done if someone is fishing by themselves but that is something that us single fisherman will have to figure out. Rules should be set in place. If you don't like the rules and think that some are unfair, then don't participate. You are not going to please everyone and trying to do so just leaves a lot open for arguments.

Last edited by Fishnngolfn; 06-25-08 at 12:14 PM.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 11:15 AM   #22
Jim80

yeah that sounds good and i think falcon should be included and putting the big bass states together in their own category would be a good idea . this tourny is open to opinion as far as i could tell , and the rules will be set in stone before we start or it just wouldn't work
Old 06-25-08, 11:25 AM   #23
Nitro911

Just a note for those of you who are new here...we have run these tournaments the last couple of years or longer...the rules are pretty simple and easy to live with. They do require photos with rulers, and there is a standard formula used for determining weight. Everything will run just fine once it gets set up. Last year's tournaments (yes, there were more than one) had some pretty nice prizes donated by Kevin's sponsors and advertisers.
Old 06-25-08, 11:38 AM   #24
Jim80

cool i am new to the site as of this year but just chipping my .02 cents thanks for the info nitro
Old 06-25-08, 12:13 PM   #25
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro911 View Post
Just a note for those of you who are new here...we have run these tournaments the last couple of years or longer...the rules are pretty simple and easy to live with. They do require photos with rulers, and there is a standard formula used for determining weight. Everything will run just fine once it gets set up. Last year's tournaments (yes, there were more than one) had some pretty nice prizes donated by Kevin's sponsors and advertisers.
I figured you guys have done this in the past. I was just offering my opinion/suggestions. The thing with the photo logo was to keep some of those untrustworthy anglers from cheating. I know I am new to the site and trust is earned. But, sadly, it is inevitable that someone will always find a way to cheat regardless of how tight or foolproof the rules are, especially if money or nice prizes are given out.

I have seen fellow (not friends) golfers cheat in a CHARITY golf event just to win a $12 golf towel.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.