Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-22-08, 09:08 AM   #1
1lipripper
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Worst Day Fishing

We've all heard the clichés..."bad day fishing is better than a good day at work; Work is for people who don't fish; etc." But, seriously tell us about your worst trip fishing.

For me, I was fishing a summer night tournament just after getting my first boat...a fish n ski.

When we left the ramp it was cloudy. But as we made our way out onto the main body of the lake the clouds thickened and the wind picked up. The farther we ran up the lake the bigger the waves.

Suddenly, we hit a large wave, which rushed over the bow of the boat breaking one of the windshields and filling the boat with water. We scrambled around, headed for shore with the bilge pump working for all it was worth and us bailing water with a coffee can. Then the rain came...heavy.

There was a covered, private boat dock nearby so we took cover under it. It was really weird watching the golf ball sized hail stones plopping in the water. Splashing violently.

Then, as suddenly as it arrived it was gone. We finally got to start fishing. It was tough. Tournament started at 7pm and was going to end at 11pm. It was now about 7:30pm

We caught a couple, but nothing to write home about.

At about 9:15pm, we pulled up on a shallow water marker and began casting our spinnerbaits up on the hump. Then, I heard the strangest sound...it sounded like static from an am radio. It was coming from my rod. The higher I raised it up the louder it got. My partner said, "Look at this!" As if by magic, his fishing line began to lift out of the water. I told him, "Let's get out of here! Now!!" Static electricity was in the air.

We cranked the big engine and ran across the lake for cover. We beached the boat on the sandy shore and in one movement we both ran out of the boat up to a covered picnic table. This time when the rain, thunder and lightning passed we got in the boat, headed back down the lake to the ramp, dropped our fish back in the water, put the boat on the trailer and left, thankful to still be alive.

On the way home we were listening to the radio and the news anchor said there had been a tornado on and near the lake. We had no clue that a tornado had passed through.

The next day we learned that not one of the 63 boats in the tournament had caught a fish. They all left.

If we had just weighed in those three fish...

Now, what about yours???
1lipripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 09:41 AM   #2
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wow, that is a scary story, glad you are safe!
Old 07-22-08, 11:36 AM   #3
MississippiBoy

I can't compare to that one, so I ain't tryin'.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 12:21 PM   #4
Tryinhard
BassFishin.Com Member

I have had some bad days but I can't top that. Spooky !
Tryinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 04:12 PM   #5
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

this scenerio is exactly why i pride myself on being a total weatherbug. looking at the radar on my cell phone has gotten me ahead of a storm several times. especially on the harley. getting wet on the road is part of it, i know, but the danger factor goes way up.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 04:31 PM   #6
Fishnngolfn

The only bad days I have fishing are when they are cut short due to weather, emergencies, or the wife. I haven't had any near fatal accidents or anything too scary, thank goodness.

I have, however, arrived at a lake to go fishing only to realize that I had left all of my plastic baits at home.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-08, 12:05 AM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Nothing even close. Like lowrider, I get the weather on my cell phone. I use the ESPN Fishin' Forecast. It has a functon that text messages me if there is lightning within 20 miles of my location. Well worth the investment IMO.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.