Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-08, 12:17 PM   #1
set_the_hook
BassFishin.Com Member

Default daiwa users

im looking to try a couple of daiwa reels. both baitcasters. im looking at the Tierra and the advantage. any input would be great.
set_the_hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 01:35 PM   #2
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have had my viento for 2 season and it now sound like a coffee grinder.
was givin a tierra and the beginning of this season to try out I fished it on a few outings and it felt of the same quality of viento so I stuck it on the shelf and there it sits.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 02:49 PM   #3
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Canīt comment anything on those two, I do have a couple of Daiwa BCs ( a couple ..... yeah right ! ) and like them very much.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 03:07 PM   #4
woody

Well I've been abusing a Diawa Magforce and Diawa Capricorn BC's for the past two seasons and have yet to hear a complaint.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 03:37 PM   #5
jmartin

I have several love them.Chubs if your reel sounds like a coffee grinder clean them I have several Expensive Penn Reels after several saltwater trips they tend to be a little noisy, they need a good cleaning I use Penn Brand oil and several other Different brands of cleaner. That being said if your reel is noisy it doesnt always mean its junk. it just may need a good cleaning
Old 11-24-08, 04:07 PM   #6
chubs

I cleaned it and found that it needed repair so I sent it out to be fixed.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 05:42 PM   #7
pig n jig

I was preachin Daiwa reels since the late '80's.I still own half a dozen or so but I have gone to the dark side.I have bought nothing but Shimanos since the Revos & 2 tour editions went.If I went with Daiwa, I would buy a used CVX OR CVZ Millionaire (round reel) or a low profile TDX or TDS reel before buying a lower end Daiwa.Buy a Zillion, or a pixy if your looking at new although the advantage is a decent reel,I still think your dollars ahead by buying the upper end reels.

I am buying a Shimano Citica E next.The HEG design has so far proved to be bullet proof.Your not going to find another reel that can compare to it for $119.00. They got rid of the reliable $119.00 green curado and have seen the errors of their ways.The Citica E is a better designed reel for the same price.

You cannot go wrong with upper end Daiwa products, stay away from the lower end reels. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 10:54 PM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've got a bunch of Advantage reels. AWESOME reel-I highy recommend them.
Old 11-25-08, 01:03 AM   #9
Bender

I think that the only non-Shimano bait casting reel I have is a Daiwa Excellor and it is a great reel. I don't think that it will last as long as the more expensive Shimanos, but at the same time you can buy three of them for the cost of one Curado or Chronarch. Plus I really like the swept back handle.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 07:57 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Between my dad and I we have three Daiwa BC reels. A Procaster (Lower end $80), a Viento and a Zillion, all are definately great reels.

Chubs, you must have something wrong with it, get it fixed, see if it works better.

Daiwa's are definately my favorite reel.

BB
Old 11-25-08, 06:19 PM   #11
bcklash

I have 2 of the Tierras and love them and ifin I get enough BPS gift cards for x-mas I'm going to replace my quantums.
Old 11-25-08, 06:45 PM   #12
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I've got a bunch of Advantage reels. AWESOME reel-I highy recommend them.

i agree one of the best bang fer your buck...i have 3 i think maybe 4..

zooker
Old 11-25-08, 07:07 PM   #13
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I love my Daiwa Baitcasters. I currently have a use 3 Advantage 150 TDAs, and one Advantage 153 THS, whch is a super tuned 150. All reels have a 6.3-1 gear ratio except one that is 5.2-1 that I use for deep water crankbaits. These reels are real work horses, never once giving me a any problems in more then 3 years of use. For a mid line of reels, you just can't do any better for your bucks.

As for my 3 spinning setups I have two Daiwa 2500 Capricorns, and one Shimano 2500 Stradic. All three have preformed flawlessly over the last 4 years.

I do take care of my reels, and do a major breakdown, cleaning, and tuning over the winter. Haven't had any reason to touch them during the 8-9 months per year that I fish.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 05:54 PM   #14
pig n jig

I just scored 2 old Daiwa TD2 HI reels for $50.00 for the pair.He threw in an old Quantum MG1310 reel with them.Last year I traded 3 TD1's and 2 Castaway Bud Pruitt flipping sticks for 3 Shimano calcuttas and 3 Gary Yamamoto tournament rods.The calcuttas are a nice reel but they don't take the place and feel of an old TD reel on the jig rod.In my opinion, the only thing better than a TD1 , TD2 reel for pitching jigs is a TDX or TDS reel.The Yamamoto rods are a GLoomis IMX blank built and wrapped by Phenix rod company for Gary Yamamoto. Ivan
Old 11-29-08, 08:06 AM   #15
zooker

ok pnj how much for the silver 1310? you know me i love dem old silver 1310mg's...

zooker
Old 11-30-08, 07:46 AM   #16
pig n jig

When I get rid of it, you will be the first person I call. Its the old 1310 with the chromed steel frame instead of the aluminum frame.I think I want it for the lack of the instant anti-reverse feature.I think I get alot more feelling for what the crankbait is doing without the antireverse bearing.Of course this isn't quite as much slop as the old Lews, but some is better than nothing at all. Ivan
Old 11-30-08, 11:28 AM   #17
zooker

yeah my favorite kind right der... your right they give a better feel then the newer reels. slop matters when cranking.. some fellars here need to learn dis..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.