Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 08-08-10, 08:55 AM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Hobbies,hobbies, hobbies

What other hobbies do you have you spend money on other than fishing?
I hunt or used to anyway. I bowl in a league and own too many balls. I play tennis. I have wasted money on golf clubs because I really sick at golf. I love knives.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 09:42 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I was just thinking about this the other day. Good idea for a thread.

Most of my money goes to fishing. Behind that is photography, which could easily become more expensive than fishing. I also like classic cars, and my dad and I have restored one and are working on another.

I wasted too much money on Air Soft, and I'm glad I never got into paintball, lol.

BB
Old 08-08-10, 10:16 AM   #3
Bassboss

I like model rockets a lot. Knifes.. you could say I have a full arsenal!

I'm trying to get into bird hunting but guns are really expensive! I'd like to at least get a good pellet gun for squirrels, and rabbits.
Old 08-08-10, 10:26 AM   #4
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I was just thinking about this the other day. Good idea for a thread.

Most of my money goes to fishing. Behind that is photography, which could easily become more expensive than fishing. I also like classic cars, and my dad and I have restored one and are working on another.

I wasted too much money on Air Soft, and I'm glad I never got into paintball, lol.

BB
I bought an airsoft gun. I haven't fired since the day i bought it.
Old 08-08-10, 10:27 AM   #5
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I like model rockets a lot. Knifes.. you could say I have a full arsenal!

I'm trying to get into bird hunting but guns are really expensive! I'd like to at least get a good pellet gun for squirrels, and rabbits.
I really like knives. My son has developed that addiction as well. He is 20 with almost as many knives as I have.
Old 08-08-10, 11:35 AM   #6
CamG

Where to even begin.

Waterfowl hunting....I probably have as much invested in this as I do bass fishing.

Guns...don't want to know

Archery...same

Golf...not as much as I used to, but still plenty.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 12:59 PM   #7
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Other than fishing, I'd have to say my MAJOR hobby over the years has been woodworking. But these days it only becomes active when my missus says we need some little accessory somewhere.

I also got off into Model Railroading for a few years...now there's a hobby that can eat up the dollars. I still belong to a railroading club, and I have done some stand-alone 'diorama modeling'. I have a partially completed diorama of an old western town, which I work on during the winters when it's too cold to (comfortably) fish.

Not sure it qualifies as a hobby, but I do have a modest knife collection.

Old 08-08-10, 02:06 PM   #8
coachpurdy

I hunt during the winter months, but basketball season takes most of my time. I enjoy spending time with my two girls, the youngest loves to fish so that is a plus. Watch alot of college football and basketball on T.V., thats about it.
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 02:43 PM   #9
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I spend a fair amount on art and airbrush supplies....I'm also a movie buff, so I'm always lookin to pick up a new DVD or two.....Then theres my tornado damaged 91' S10 Blazer, that i'm slowly but surely tryin to restore and get ready to paint......If my cousin ever gets done building my old school Honda chopper, I'll have another toy to sink money and time into....lol
Old 08-08-10, 03:58 PM   #10
walkeraviator

My obsessionas aside from fishing are Guns, OffRoading (Jeep and 4wheeler), and playing guitar...

I am currently in teh process of building an AR-15, shooting local IDPA matches on thursdays(not as often as i would like), learning to chicken pick, and saving for a lift kit for my XJ.... all while finding time to fish and work... and take care of my 2 year old... my schedule stays pretty full.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 04:06 PM   #11
Dave63

Waterfowl hunting, tying flies and building models. That's enough to occupy my time!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 04:36 PM   #12
bamabassman

other hobbies huh? well................woodworking (if i ever finish the shop), antique shopping (rods,reels,baits and hull oven proof dinner ware for me, lisa.....EVERYTHING,HAHA although she never buys anything really, she window shops mostly), old cars and trucks (want to build me a hotrod or classic),gonna try to get back into hunting since i got the dang deer just crawling all over the place here, haha. i got a few knives too, mostly pocket knives though. wish there was some dove/quail around here, would love to hunt those. love to travel,camp out, see historical battlegrounds and forts, old houses and farms. i like history alot too.but like most others i don't have the time NOR the money to do what i want to do. but maybe one day.
Old 08-08-10, 05:10 PM   #13
Ground Pounder

My real passion right now is barbeque. Also do some minor woodworking.

Past stuff included poker, golf, bowling, darts, pool, horseshoes, playing guitar, building model cars and planes, video games, and baseball cards. I'm a bit of a jack-of-all-trades.

Never really been too much into guns or hunting - growing up in the ghetto sort of burned me out on firearms. Also, I think I'm the only person ever from Detroit who isn't a gearhead. I know enough about cars what not through years of fixing and maintaining my own vehicles, but if given the choice, I'd prefer not to be under the hood.
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 07:07 PM   #14
keithdog

My other main hobby besides fishing is photography, which has cost me more money investment than fishing by a long shot. But I spend more time fishing, lol. The wife and I enjoy riding our bikes when we can and going on hikes. I used to be big into landscape gardening, but don't do nearly as much with that. As I've gotten older, I don't enjoy taking care of it as much as I used to. It takes too much time away from the other hobbies I enjoy more. Plus this bum knee don't like it much either, nor the back. I got started making my own spinnerbaits and enjoy that a lot, but after a while I start wondering how many spinnerbaits does a man need? lol.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 07:10 PM   #15
MIbasser

Golf, downhill skiing and hunting/guns are all I pretty much do now. I used to be into jet skis, scuba diving, and RC cars. I've always had expensive hobbies!!

I never got into the knives but I do have a Randall Made (it's pretty cool).
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 08:27 PM   #16
brushhog

Coaching Basketball and Football. Still playing basketball when my ankles allow and I do a lot of reading...
Old 08-08-10, 08:42 PM   #17
CMorg

My other hobbies are the restoration of my 1965 Pontiac. Just started , and I dont spend as much time on this board now.... Me and my wife also have an extensive antique Coca Cola collection ( it requires a rider , if you know what I mean. )
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 09:54 PM   #18
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I like to play guitar on the side. But I have recently got in to trying to build my own rods and I am really enjoying that. With 3 kids, I just don't have much time for anything outside of the family right now, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 08-08-10, 10:29 PM   #19
Ebbetsguy

Sleeping; priceless
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 07:56 AM   #20
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I like to play guitar on the side. But I have recently got in to trying to build my own rods and I am really enjoying that. With 3 kids, I just don't have much time for anything outside of the family right now, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
I only had two. Both grown now. I have watched and coached and even played in far more games than I can count. Coached baseball, soccer, and tennis. Also held boards for karate students to break. Sat through lots of band competitions & football games in all kinds of weather watching our daughter in the band. Enjoy every minute of it they grow up fast.
Old 08-09-10, 12:50 PM   #21
Abbeysdad

Not necessarily prioritized....

- Fishing
- Gardening
- Cooking & BBQ
- Auto (now boat) Detailing
- Napping/Sleeping
Old 08-09-10, 02:15 PM   #22
cassidyta

Sports:
I play in 2 soccer leagues and 1 softball league.

Wood working, although the only thing I really make is sawdust.
Old 08-09-10, 02:40 PM   #23
WaffleJaw

Aside from rod building.....Playing bass guitar,oil painting,disc golf, poker,collecting joker cards,training exotic whales,harvesting kittens to make expensive designer clothes for dogs, voicing my opinions to deaf people, and smearing this forum with really bad humor.
Old 08-09-10, 04:17 PM   #24
Stew

Making model rockets and shooting them off. :-)
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 06:26 PM   #25
Bender

I used to be into VWs, I think I had 5 at one time ranging from 1979 to 2005. Got rid of all the ones in the middle and still have the oldest ones. Someday I'll fix up the 79 Scirocco since I've spent more dragging it around the country than I paid for it in the first place.

I did some whittling last winter, might continue with that this winter. I have some Cape Forge knives for that and can say that they are very sharp!

I don't figure I'll get much downhill skiing and snowshoeing in this winter in Mississippi but I used to do that a bit.

After my regular job, making baits, and fishing there isn't much time left.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.