Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-10, 10:09 AM   #1
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Tough guys paying it forward

Wow , what a hard 2010 for a lot of folks.Time for a tale of goodwill and people stepping up and paying it forward
I have been in a program of recovery for over 18 years now, and have stayed clean with the help of many. I had a great experience when i first got clean. as a group of older guys, took me fishing daily, in between meetings to keep me with them in a safe and learning enviorment
It was a big part of me getting my feet on the ground, so to honor them I started to give a rod and reel each year I stayed clean and took these new fellas out fishing.
A few more stayed clean and they started to do the same. We grew in numbers, formed a Clean Bass Club and then I was on another forum ,it was suggested I ask for donations. I did just that and we were able to take 12 guys a year out and it actually proved detrimental to what we were trying to accomplish, and in the end this was the wrong way to go as I had lost site of it's not about a pat on the back for me but to serve others. We became totally self sufficient and accepted no outside help, from then on.
We scaled way back, started to buy and test equipment until we found things we were able to afford and would be good for newcomers. The Club now has a name SERENITY BASSERS
, We have a giveaway camping trip, the Saturday before Bass Season Opens, and mainly try to help 6 fellas a yea, and it has become more successful this way. We were able to fish with them on a regular basis and helped them as we were helped, one on one!

Now for the TOUGH GUY PAYING IT FORWARD PART
This year saw someone close to me, in danger of loosing their house. I sold a lot of my equipment and then had to sell my boat. The boat was purchased, by a recipient of our club give away, and this guy has come from homelessness and jails to owning his own licensed business, a home and a new wife. Thats because of the program we all belong to, not the fishing club. Well The weekend of Thanksgiving he called me with the news he may be moving to Florida and he needed to return the boat to me, BUT FOR ME TO KEEP THE MONEY AND THE BOAT!
I explained I could not do this, he wasn't having any of it. He said he knew I was stubborn,and it was time for me to accept help from the fellas. So now my friend is somewhat safe with their house, I have the boat back, and have been overwhelmed with how much passing it forward actually works! I am grateful to this guy in particular and we are all busy now looking for stuff and the six guys we target for this year. So all of 2010 was not bad, and I am looking to the coming year with feelings of hope and gratitude
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 10:54 AM   #2
tarpon120

I too am in that program of recovery, yet I only have two years. Your story is great and shows the commitment to serving others that has been so helpful in my recovery but in no way compares to yours. I could go on and on about how much my life has changed but the greatest gift has been the new relationship with my kids, SOBER. One day at a time.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 10:57 AM   #3
Ebbetsguy

Hey Tarpon; Every day Clean is a miracle, you ain't no better off or worse than me, it's a day at a time thing. My people skills still suck I just keep in there and keep at it, I pray for another day for you .
Old 12-30-10, 05:32 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

guys...................there are no words i can type to tell you how much i think of you 2. please keep it up. you have shown what TRUE friendship and love is all about. congrats to BOTH of you. i mean this from the bottom of my heart. i hope you are able to attend the get together in may. i would like to shake your hands in person. we need more people like you. i wish i could do more to help like you guys have. but i can only do what i am capeable to do. i have so many things on my list i am afraid i'll never be able to attain half of them. but you give me hope that i ain't alone in my trying. thanks again guys. if i were as rich as donald trump it would be different. but then again, i'd be broke in a month,lol. again, please keep up the work you are doing. it pays hugely in the end.
Old 12-30-10, 08:17 PM   #5
Ebbetsguy

Bama you do so much here, why would you need to do more? I don't have 1/10th of the ability to deal with most folks, you are like an ambassador for this site. Thanks, but this post is not directly about me, it's about some fellas who took,interest, care and concern for me , when no one else would, and then i was able to do what they taught me to others, and now those guys are doing for still others, those are the tough guys, gone good that I am referring to.These men have survived tough circumstances and now have taken on the real world, it is the guys who go out every day, paying bills and keeping their families safe, that are the true tough guys, and these fellas have joined their ranks. Thanks for the kind words, I am sorry but the only out of town event I am looking at is the NYBASS.com seminar and some fishing in PA,NY and NJ this year. My main focus in the coming months is to find a job , back in NYC so I can move back hoke to Brooklyn. HAPPY NEW YEARS!
Old 12-30-10, 10:03 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i understand ebbits. not a problem buddy. but i still say you are a great and kind human being. oyu went through hell and now repaying the favor to others who are going through what oyu went and still going through. i have a relative who is also a addict. not to go into details, but i have seen first hand what it is like and what it does to a family. my deepest congrats and my continue prayers for you and your fellow comrades in this daily battle.
hopefully one day in the future we will meet. i will continue to look forward to that day.

AND A VERY HAPPY NEW YEARS TO YOU!!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.