Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-05, 01:59 PM   #1
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to haynesn12
Talking got a new baitcaster

well i finally went out and bought the daiwa reel i've been looking at for a while to replace my quantum. it is a megaforce 1 i think and it has a flippin switch which is what i wanted. now all my baitcasters are daiwa and i just have to get a new spinning reel so i can be all daiwa.(i love there stuff if you couldn't tell.) anyways for now it is on my bps tourny special 6'6 mh but i was to get a real flippin stick, any idea's? i like the castaway one but i am not sure.
Old 09-03-05, 06:34 PM   #2
angelus40
BassFishin.Com Active Member

well if you wan that go for it... been thinking i might get a baitcaster
for christmas nothings set in stone yet
angelus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-05, 06:51 PM   #3
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Im still learning with my current one.
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-05, 09:46 PM   #4
angelus40

the guy at dicks said when i cast the baitcast to turn it on it's side to eliminate backlash also my thumb close by
Old 09-04-05, 12:11 AM   #5
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

i was asking if anyone knew of any flippin sticks that we're better then it. i dont know much about them so i'm not just gunna go on what i think. i need some more info. and baitcasters arnt that hard to get used to. i love mine and yes you do have to use your thumb to keep it from backlashing and as for turning on the side. i heard that when i bought mine to but i can cast it anyway now and not really worry about it.
Old 09-04-05, 12:19 AM   #6
angelus40

go to bps they might have what your looking for in a flipping stick
Old 09-04-05, 12:23 AM   #7
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

i can only go to bps when i'm at my parents house because in maine there arnt to many and the only one i know of is like 2 hours from my apt so i cant go on a regular basis
Old 09-04-05, 08:07 AM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well where will you be flipping from? If it's a boat with a nice casting deck a 7'6" rod length should be good. I have a G Loomis telescoping rod, and love it. But PNJ will tell you that the Castaway, Bud Pruittttttttttt stick is the only one to buy. But of course he already brain washed you with Diawa's anyways. And you had better figure out if it has a flipping switch or not. See PNJ you can tell them that Diawa's are the best, but they can't even use them. LOL JK couldn't resist. Telescoping is a very nice thing to have. If you are shore fishing, or like in my case, many times using a boat, that doesn't have a casting deck a 7' or even 6'6" will work. The longer the rod, the longer you have to reach the flipping spot. For every six inches in length, you should gain about 1 foot in distance on flipping. Now personally I can "PITCH" with a lot more accuracy and ease with a 7' Rod.

Lizards
Old 09-04-05, 11:00 AM   #9
angelus40

i'm 20 mins from bps
Old 09-04-05, 11:36 AM   #10
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

it does have a flipping switch
Old 09-04-05, 12:33 PM   #11
JB

I hate flipping switch feature on any baitcaster and never use the feature on any of my equip. I just dont see any need for it, I guess because after i PITCH

into a spot, i let a few feet of line out as the jig falls...just my preference.

I have had all star and abu garcia flipping rods, 7 ft, I ended up years ago going with a non telescoping rod for flipping due to the fact they tend to be lighter with a more reasonable size grip...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 04:53 PM   #12
zooker

lol ->lizard
i use a 7 foot mh fenwick techna av for most of my pitching it has a left handed pfluger trion reel-bassmaster reel-
as for flipping i got a fenwick hmx xheavy 7'6'' flipping stick i currantly have a right hand quatum mag gear on it -soon to change- the telescoping rod is a great thing.but i don't flip a whole lot i do a ton of pitching thu. so basicly i run 12 pound mono on the mh rod -envy green ande- and 30 pound braid on the xheavy rod-calcutta ultra-

zooker
Old 09-05-05, 08:57 PM   #13
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Haynesn, The castaway Bud Pruitt flipping stick is a very good choice. I have 4 of them right now.I can give you a link as to where I bought mine from, but if you order expect to wait a week or two for the rod, they are a special order deal. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-05, 09:07 PM   #14
pig n jig

http://www.nbswebstore.com/cgi-bin/w...RAPHITE%20RODS Lizards, I did not brain wash anyone.I am not smart enough or have any desire to control anyones opinion. I just know what has worked the best for me through buying several different flipping sticks before saying the Castaway is the best I have used so far. Haynesn, I can part with a Castaway since I have 4 of the same rods.I also have several other flipping sticks I can give you a price list of those if your interested.P N J
Old 09-05-05, 09:57 PM   #15
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

yea i wasnt brainwashed i just bought one of there reels and like feel in love with it. so i decided that i would stick with them. yea pnj i would like to see a price list if you dont mind
Old 09-05-05, 11:18 PM   #16
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

alright it wont let me send a pm but apparently someone has been sending some from my name which kinda makes me mad. i was wondering if you knew what shipping would be to zip code 04221
Old 09-06-05, 07:49 AM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I hate flipping switch feature on any baitcaster and never use the feature on any of my equip. I just dont see any need for it, I guess because after i PITCH

into a spot, i let a few feet of line out as the jig falls...just my preference.
You know I have a 2 of the Shimano Castaic's, with a thumb bar flipping switch, and I absolutely love this reel, and the thumb bar switch. I have 4 of the Calais's, and yes they are sweet, but I just keep wishing they had a thumb bar also. I would use it for aobut everything not only pitching. I know it's how you learned, and practice, but I really do love the flipping switch feature. Allows less movement of my arms, hands, etc to engage the reel. But obviously everyone has their own likes and dislikes. You can still let out line after it hits, but engaging the reel is so much quicker and easier with a switch.

Quote:
I have had all star and abu garcia flipping rods, 7 ft, I ended up years ago going with a non telescoping rod for flipping due to the fact they tend to be lighter with a more reasonable size grip...
You are correct here on the weight, they are heavier, but I have pretty big hands, so the grip being bigger is a plus for me

haynes/PNJ,

Sorry for you guys having to use those Diawa's, maybe one day a Shimano will show up for Christmas or your Birthday LOL. I didn't mean anything bad about the Bud Pruit Flipping stick, I have never used one, or even held one for that matter. I was joking about the reel. I say buy one of PNJ's flipping sticks, you won't get a better deal, unless someone is selling you a stolen one. I bought my second baitcaster ever off of PNJ(the first one that actually worked), it was a good deal. Just not a Shimano Come to think about it, I had to give that reel away Anyways, we all like different stuff, and I still think a lot has to do with your location and the availability of the products locally, or even who you fish with and what they use. I can't remember how many times I hear someone say buy this brand or that brand, and it's "THE ONLY BRAND THEY HAVE EVER USED" so they have no idea of anything else's quality or value. Just get one and try it, it will obviously work, and the next time you can try out another one, maybe even a St Croix or a G-Loomis Of course with a SHIMANO CASTAIC

Lizards
Old 09-06-05, 08:44 AM   #18
angelus40

ok since alot are against diawa what should i get?
Old 09-06-05, 09:01 AM   #19
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

see i love mine. i've had quantum and shimano but i would never go back to either. i like the feel of mine more but thats just my opinion
Old 09-06-05, 09:03 AM   #20
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

lizards,
i know what your saying with the st.croix rods. they are an awesome rod. my crankbait rod is a st.croix and i love it.
Old 09-06-05, 09:21 AM   #21
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelus40
ok since alot are against diawa what should i get?
I'm not against Diawa's it's a on going joke between PNJ, myself, ILBassin, and zooker occasionally. If you like Diawa, then buy them. I like Shimano, which PNJ, and others dislike adamantly But we just like different brands, and that's OK. Any good name brand of equipment will catch fish just fine. You have to decide for yourself what you like or dislike. I actually prefer the Quatum's for my spinning reels, but have had Shimano's that I liked but didn't hold up as long. You can spend a ton or a little. You really do get what you pay for in a Baitcaster, the spinning reels IMO aren't the case however. I like a big spool, and a large line capacity. As long as they have a smooth drag, and smooth retrieve that's what is important. How many bearings, doesn't make a huge difference, since it doesn't use them for casting only retrieving.

Lizards
Old 09-06-05, 05:08 PM   #22
pig n jig

Haynesn, I sent you a instant message on what rods I have. I will take the rod and get it weighed for the exact shipping once you decide which flipping stick you want.Each flipping stick is different in weight, I charge the exact shipping cost, no handling fees like some people do on Ebay.Lizards, I will own a Shimano reel when Daiwa buys them out and includes their magnetic brake design into the Shimano reels. If you haven't bought a new flipping stick in the last couple of years, your missing out, In my opinion,they are lighter and stronger and more sensitive than even the high dollar rods of the past.Lizards, you are also correct on the spinning reel, the design is basically built exactly the same , with a few variables such as number of bearings and where the drag system is located and the spool length and diameter, and bail sytem( whether it magnetic or a spring to close the bail)Casting reels really set them selves apart using different features such as stationary crank shaft(Abu Garcia's) or bearing shaft, magnetic brake, centrifugal brake ,dual casting control, or plain spool tension knobbed models.Whether the spool shaft is fixed or not, or whether they have a super free spool shaft.engaging line pawl or disengaging line pawl.It all makes a difference, but in the end they all do the same thing, maybe not as well or as user freindly as another brand. p n j
Old 09-06-05, 05:31 PM   #23
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

alright let me think about it and i'll get back to you shortly it'll either be the bps,castaway or st.croix i dont know which one i want yet.
Old 09-06-05, 05:40 PM   #24
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynesn12
alright let me think about it and i'll get back to you shortly it'll either be the bps,castaway or st.croix i dont know which one i want yet.
Buy all of his Bud Pruit Castaway's, so he'll be forced to use the St Croix LOL

Lizard
Old 09-06-05, 06:51 PM   #25
pig n jig

Lizards, lmao, They make new Castaway Bud Pruitts everyday. If I could afford to buy you one , it would have been money well spent. Unfortunately I am poorer than a pick pocket in a nudist camp, but like a bad Christmas gift,even though you may be disappointed, it was the thought that really counts, so next time your out with that Rogue rod, think of it weighing alot less than the Rogue, and when you think it just doesn't get any better than that, then you know how I feel everytime I go fishing with the Bud Pruitts. P N J

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.