Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-11, 09:18 AM   #1
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
IowaBasser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 360
Default Line for Spinning Reels?

I know there's been a lot of discussion about line, so I apologuise if it seems like I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm still confused.

Here is the short version:
1. What line would you use on a 7'-0" medium spinning rod?
2. What line would you use on two 6'-6" medium-light spinning rods?

Here's the long version:
I've got 4 rods all with spinning reels. I want (need) new line on my medium rod and 2 medium-light rigs.

Rod number 1: a 6' 3" medium-heavy rod; I'm happy with my current line. I use this combo as my heay rod and it is spooled with a 20 pound braid. (...it might be heavier?) I think it's Power Pro, but I'm not positive. I use it mostly for largemouth: rubber frogs, bass jigs, and heavy spinner baits. Yes, I would prefer a longer rod and maybe heavier line, but it works for now.

Rod number 2: 7' 0" medium rod; I use this rod mostly for largemouth as well. It gets used for the majority of my plastics which is what I most frequently fish. This set-up also gets used for medium spinnerbaits and crankbaits. It is a little stiff, but I make due.

Medium Line 1st choice:
I like braid and am leaning towards 20# Suffix 832. Should I be concerned that 20# line might be heavy for a spinning reel? (Suffix 832 only comes in 10# and 20#, not 15#.) I also realize that Suffix 832 sinks which would limit any top-water presentations to either my heavier or lighter rods.

Other Medium Line Options:
15# Diawa Samari (braid)
15# Power Pro (braid)
12# Yo-Zuri Ultra Soft Hybrid (Fluorocarbon hybrid)

Rods 3 and 4: two 6' 6" medium-light rods. These are my primary small-mouth rods. They do get used for finesse presentations for largemouth and walleye. In a pinch they also get used for small to medium spinnerbaits and small crankbaits. I fish small-mouth from a canoe and only take these 2 rods. I cast a lot of light in-line spinners, small jigs, small T-rigged plastics, Rebel Crayfish crankbaits and Heddon Tiny Torpedos. In the past I've used 8# and 10# Trilene XL & XT and also 10# Spiderwire or Fireline.

Light choices: Here is where I really get confused! I looking for a line that performs well, i.e., casts long distances, doesn't jump off the spool, has low line memory, etc.
Option 1. I could just stick with trilene XT, or try another monofilament.
Option 2. 8# or 10# Seaguar InvisX, though am concenerned that it sinks and wouldn't be good for casting Heddon Torpedos. Also I'm concerned that Fluorcarbons aren't "spinning-reel friendly," though InvisX seems to be the best Fluro choice for spinning reels.
Option 3. 8# or 10# Yo-Zuri Ultrasoft.
Option 4. 10# Suffix 832 (again, it sinks)
Option 5. 10# Suffix Performance Braid - suppose to be almost as good as Suffix 832, but doesn't sink.
Option 6. I'm open to any reccomendations!
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 11:45 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
Bassboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shawano, WI
Posts: 7,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
I know there's been a lot of discussion about line, so I apologuise if it seems like I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm still confused.

Here is the short version:
1. What line would you use on a 7'-0" medium spinning rod?
2. What line would you use on two 6'-6" medium-light spinning rods?

Here's the long version:
I've got 4 rods all with spinning reels. I want (need) new line on my medium rod and 2 medium-light rigs.

Rod number 1: a 6' 3" medium-heavy rod; I'm happy with my current line. I use this combo as my heay rod and it is spooled with a 20 pound braid. (...it might be heavier?) I think it's Power Pro, but I'm not positive. I use it mostly for largemouth: rubber frogs, bass jigs, and heavy spinner baits. Yes, I would prefer a longer rod and maybe heavier line, but it works for now.

Rod number 2: 7' 0" medium rod; I use this rod mostly for largemouth as well. It gets used for the majority of my plastics which is what I most frequently fish. This set-up also gets used for medium spinnerbaits and crankbaits. It is a little stiff, but I make due.

Medium Line 1st choice:
I like braid and am leaning towards 20# Suffix 832. Should I be concerned that 20# line might be heavy for a spinning reel? (Suffix 832 only comes in 10# and 20#, not 15#.) I also realize that Suffix 832 sinks which would limit any top-water presentations to either my heavier or lighter rods.

Other Medium Line Options:
15# Diawa Samari (braid)
15# Power Pro (braid)
12# Yo-Zuri Ultra Soft Hybrid (Fluorocarbon hybrid)

Rods 3 and 4: two 6' 6" medium-light rods. These are my primary small-mouth rods. They do get used for finesse presentations for largemouth and walleye. In a pinch they also get used for small to medium spinnerbaits and small crankbaits. I fish small-mouth from a canoe and only take these 2 rods. I cast a lot of light in-line spinners, small jigs, small T-rigged plastics, Rebel Crayfish crankbaits and Heddon Tiny Torpedos. In the past I've used 8# and 10# Trilene XL & XT and also 10# Spiderwire or Fireline.

Light choices: Here is where I really get confused! I looking for a line that performs well, i.e., casts long distances, doesn't jump off the spool, has low line memory, etc.
Option 1. I could just stick with trilene XT, or try another monofilament.
Option 2. 8# or 10# Seaguar InvisX, though am concenerned that it sinks and wouldn't be good for casting Heddon Torpedos. Also I'm concerned that Fluorcarbons aren't "spinning-reel friendly," though InvisX seems to be the best Fluro choice for spinning reels.
Option 3. 8# or 10# Yo-Zuri Ultrasoft.
Option 4. 10# Suffix 832 (again, it sinks)
Option 5. 10# Suffix Performance Braid - suppose to be almost as good as Suffix 832, but doesn't sink.
Option 6. I'm open to any reccomendations!
Seems like you've already made your mind up with the first two rods, and it sounds good to me as long as you don't mind fishing top water on the MH rod.

With the later two, I've got a question. Do you have spare spools? And what size reels, and kind of rod (i.e. brand model etc).

If you have one rod the you feel is more sensitive, I'd put the flouro on that rod, or braid if you don't mind tying leaders (and breaking off and tying them again. I went river fishing yesterday and did that more then i'd like to with my braid spool).Berkly Nanofil looks like a very good option. It's new line, but looks very promising, however it'll not be available for another few weeks. It's clearer line (less clear than mono?), so you wont have to try leaders. You have the zero memory, (greater) sensitivity, and zero stretch the braid offers.

Use that rod for jigs, and worms (I'd also use it for spinners since it's thin so they'll have less lift), or anything you want low and sensitivity in. Flourocarbon might be the better choice you don't have a problem setting the hook into rocks. The takes I think will be more distinct.

Or with a spare spool, you can spool both Nonofil (or braid), and flouro. The flouro for when the fish are being more line shy, and nonofil (or braid) when they're not. Or the Nonofil (or braid) around heavier cover. Just a thought.

I do not recommend you put Samari braid on a spinning reel. I like more body to my braid then Samari offers. It's very, very, very limp from what I hear and I just don't like that. You'll also get more wind knots with a limper braid.

On the next reel, I high quality mono for your top waters and crankbaits I think would be the best choice. I like thin and lower stretch, so I'd probably go with something like sunline super natural. It's rather low price as well.
__________________
If you can't fix it with heavy squats or fish oil, you're probably going to die.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 05:54 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite
 
BigBassin144's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 9,463
Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default

For Rod 2 (7' M rod), go with 20lb test. 20lb braid isn't at all to heavy for a spinning outfit. You should really look at line diameter more than lb test. 20lb braid has the diameter of 6lb mono; a perfect match for a spinning reel.

I'd definitely not put 12lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid on a spinning reel. I had nightmares with YZH Ultra Soft in 8lb test, which was about the last straw before I switched over to all braid on spinning gear.

For the Rods 3 and 4, I'd put mono on one, whatever test you like for those applications. I really like Sufix Elite for spinning reels. It's a hair more supple than Sufix Siege, which is also a great mono. This would be the rod for your inline spinners, cranks, topwaters, etc.

I'd then put 10lb braid on the other 6'6" ML rod. Good for dropshotting with a Leader, light t-rigs, small jigs, etc.

As bassboss mentioned, spare spools are nice to have around so you can switch up for different conditions, and most spinning reels sold in the US do come with a spare.

BB
__________________
As of June 14, 2014 the members of the BF.com forum have moved to basschat.yuku.com!
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 10:37 PM   #4
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
IowaBasser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'd definitely not put 12lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid on a spinning reel. I had nightmares with YZH Ultra Soft in 8lb test, which was about the last straw before I switched over to all braid on spinning gear.
That's good to hear - I think I'll stay away from the Yo Zuri Ultra-soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
For Rod 2 (7' M rod), go with 20lb test. 20lb braid isn't at all to heavy for a spinning outfit.
I think I've decided to try 20# Suffix 832 for my 7'-0" Medium Rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
For the Rods 3 and 4, I'd put mono on one, whatever test you like for those applications. I really like Sufix Elite for spinning reels. It's a hair more supple than Sufix Siege, which is also a great mono. This would be the rod for your inline spinners, cranks, topwaters, etc.

I'd then put 10lb braid on the other 6'6" ML rod. Good for dropshotting with a Leader, light t-rigs, small jigs, etc.
That sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try 10# Suffix 832 on one of my light rods. My light rods (3 and 4) are actually medium, not medium light like I had thought. The other light rod I was going to stick with mono. I might give Sufix Elite a try.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
As bassboss mentioned, spare spools are nice to have around so you can switch up for different conditions, and most spinning reels sold in the US do come with a spare.
I used to carry my spare spools with me when I only had 1 or 2 rods, but I found that I rarely, if ever changed the spool. When I had more rods (I've had up to 7 or 8, but gave one away last year and broke one this spring, and a couple I just don't like.) I quit carrying the spare spools - now I'm not sure if I could find the spare spools!
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 08:53 AM   #5
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member
 
senkosam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hudson Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 671
Default

Stealth or Power Pro

If I need a leader for a bit of stretch, I go to Trilene XT or XL or Suffix Elite(sim. to XL) or Siege (sim.XT). All have never disappointed.

Fireline is okay but at the bottom of my list for lines greater than 8# test.

JMHO

Frank

Last edited by senkosam; 06-13-11 at 11:03 AM.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-11, 01:40 PM   #6
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran
 
Bob Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cartersville, Georgia
Posts: 1,472
Default

I went through the exerimentation phase, now I use 20# Power Pro on all my spinning reels regardless of the rod length. I vary my leader material from 6# to 12# flouro and all the points in between. If the water is dingy, I tie the jighead or rig directly to the braid. After the braid starts to fade I use a green and a black magic marker to camo the lower 5' or so.
__________________
Bob Smith a.k.a. "Porko" (vintage Strike King variety!)
Bob Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-11, 09:30 AM   #7
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member
 
IowaBasser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 360
Default

I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I'd give an update. I recently purchased a spool of 20# Suffix 832 for my medium heavy rod. I haven't used it a whole lot but am happy with it so far. I think it will be a pretty versatile line. Maybe not heavy enough for the thickest cover or light enough for some finesse presentation... but should be alright for everything in between including spinnerbaits, cranks, t-rigged plastics, and even frogs. I haven't changed out my old power-pro on my other medium heavy rod, but probably will next spring - I might go with 30# for heavy cover; not sure if I will go with Power Pro or Suffix 832.

For my two light rods: one is spooled with 8# Trilene XT mono, and the other I back-spooled what I think is 10# spider-wire off an old reel.

When I say "back-spooled," I mean I take a braid that has been on a different reel for a couple of years and wind it onto a new spool or different reel. This way the line that was at the center of the spool and never saw day-light is now the end I tie my lure. I did end up putting some backing on first - actually I wind the backing ONTOP of the braid while it's on the old reel... that way I can judge exactly how much line will fill a spool of equal size. Then when I 'back-spool' the line onto a new reel, the backing line is where it should be. It's a good way to get some extra life out of braid.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2013 BassFishin.Com LLC