Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-06, 11:17 AM   #1
Futurepro22
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22
Default How to get a promotional boat deal?

i was wondering if anyone knows how i would go about and try to get a promotional boat deal, for next year. I really like rangers and skeeters. any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 06-27-06, 12:24 PM   #2
BassQualifier
BassFishin.Com Member

I would imagine getting a promotional boat deal would be the most difficult due to the fact that it is such a high priced item. Even most of the Pro's only get a 'discount' on their boats, as there are very few anglers out there lucky enough to demand a free rig.

A lot of dealers will take you on as a pro staffer if you work the shows and stuff like that. I highly doubt they give away boats or discounts for winning tournaments. It all comes down to putting in the hours for them.
BassQualifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 08:12 PM   #3
Futurepro22

yea.. i knew that.. i was asking how i would go about approaching a dealer about getting a promotional deal of some sort
Old 06-27-06, 08:33 PM   #4
m cress

I just read your resume on your homepage. You sound like a really good guy. I would start right there. Your resume is well written and clearly states an intent. If I were you "and I'm well versed in selling myself" I would snail mail that resume as it is written now to every boat dealership in the United States. You may not get a boat deal out of it, but you will certainly be networking the right people. Who knows what will happen? Don't e-mail anything. Put it in an envelope and send it. Shows much more attention to detail and drive. Good luck!
m cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 08:47 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i bet ol' forrest wood have given many a Ranger boat out to superstars like hank parker in the past...my old fishing partner junior bought one that hank fished the classic in way back when, so its good publicity for a star to get a loaner and then they have high resale
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 11:29 AM   #6
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

George Poveromo, my dads buddy, gets a new mako every year, and gets to sell the old one and keep the cash. Gets new engines every two years.
Old 06-28-06, 02:25 PM   #7
Tnbasser
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Just figure out what you want, then take your resume in personally, if you can, and sell yourself to them. Remeber, you have to convince them you can sell thier boats. You are ultimatly there for them, not the other way around.

Just go for it. Don't go to every dealer in the country though. Dealers are wise to that, and that may only hurt you in the long run.

Here is a piece I wrote on sponsorship.Hope it helps, and rmember, its just what has worked for me.

Aquiring Sponsors By Charles Graves June 8th,2006

You see them by the dozens, on all of the major tournament trails. Bass anglers with custom shirts
full of sponsor logos. You have been fishingsmall club tourneys, and maybe even a few amateur divisions like
the FLW BFL.Now you want to step up a level and try to get yourself some sponsors.
But where do you begin? Which companies should you approach and how should you approach them?
Before you begin, consider several things and ask yourself this question.
Why do i want a sponsor?
Consider your answer very carefully.If the only reason you want a sponsor is to wear a cool logo, forget it.
Don't waste thier time.If your not going to be willing to do what it takes to keep them happy, then why bother at all?
These companies get 1000's of requests a year for sponsorship, and they will only pick those that sell
themselves to them.The ones that meet THIER needs.
What are your qualifications? What do you have to bring to the negotiating table?
Don't rely just on your tournament records. Thats important, but in and alone it is just not enough. Great
fishermen are everywhere these days, so you must be able to seperate yourself from everyone else doing the
same thing you are doing.Some companies actually look for things like degrees in marketing or other areas
that will be useful in promoting thier products.They want fishermen who can sell thier wares, and if you can't,
Sooner or later you won't be needed anymore.
You must be willing to work trade shows, seminars, etc. you must be willing to be visible and active in the business.
Which companies do i approach, big or small?
Start small. Approach the companies that make the tackle you alread yuse. You are familiar with,
and have confidence in these products. If you are not used to something, and don't know the product line, you
are not going to be very successful selling these items.One of the biggest mistakes an angler can make is
to go from maker to maker tossing out the same pitch to every one. these guys know the game, and word
spreads fast.You are only succeeding in talking yourself out of any kind of a deal.
Myself, I found and used certain brands for some time, and then went to them for sponsorship.For instance,
I have been a user of The Original Fish Formula for 25 years. I started using it when it came out,
and am still using it today. I know the product, and know it well. Then, a couple of years ago, I approached them
and got a sponsorship deal with them.
Another thing. Years ago, when you took on a sponsorship deal, you only had to know thier Bass fishing products.
Now, you better be familiar with everything they have to offer.From bass to trout to catfish.
Make sure the deal will benefit BOTH of you.While on the Amateur levels, don't expect big money contracts.
Most of the companies will only be willing to offer you free or deeply discounted products, not actual money to fish.
This is reserved for the upper level full time touring PROS. But on the flip side, by entering into such an agreement,
you wil also most likly have less required of you by the companies. I entered into a "Friends" deal with Daiichi hooks,
because this was best suited for me. This requires me to only report my progress quarterly, insted of monthly.
Don't make the NUMBER 1 mistake beginning anglers make when approaching the companies.
DO NOT walk in bragging, beating yourself on the chest and saying ok, here I am, now what can you do for me.
Instead, tell the companies what YOU can do for THEM. Why will they benefit from bringing you on. And remember,
As a member of their pro staff, you actually work for them.This is a business, treat it as such.
Now. Still think you are ready for a sponsor? then go for it. Be confident, but not arrogant.It's not as hard as you think
as long as you go about it the right way.
Good luck,
and Good Fishing,
Charles Graves
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 08:44 PM   #8
m cress

Good post, BASSBOSS
m cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 10:14 PM   #9
Futurepro22

thank you guys.. now 2 more questions.... Ranger or Skeeter? VMAX or ETEC.
haha..
Old 06-28-06, 10:16 PM   #10
Futurepro22

sry 2 double post... I'm leaning toward a Ranger, but i'm not sure about the motor... i like both motors.. what you guys think?
Old 06-29-06, 03:35 PM   #11
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

BassBoss's article hit the nail on the head. I for several years tried without luck of getting some sponsorship for tournaments, I was approaching it completely wrong. It wasn't until after being a recruiter for the U.S. Marine Corps that I learned a valuable lesson......."What can I do for them!!!" Tournament wins and cashing checks in tournament is great, but if you can't sell heaters to someone on the North Pole, why would a sponsor want to help you, you have to be able to help him!! I have several friends that have boat deals, one thing I can say from talking to them, you still better have deep pockets!!! They are going to expect you to have a new boat at least every 2 years, and you will have to pay for it. If you take it on a long term loan, which alot of boat owners do you will not get back on the boat what you owe on it!! But you will be required to buy a new one at discount, can you will have to sell the other one. I was offer a boat deal, with a major boat manufacture, I had to turn it down, because I just can't afford to purchase a new boat every 2 year and make $500 payments a month on it so I can sell it for what I owe in 2 years. Be careful.
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 03:59 PM   #12
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny BBS
BassBoss's article hit the nail on the head. I for several years tried without luck of getting some sponsorship for tournaments, I was approaching it completely wrong. It wasn't until after being a recruiter for the U.S. Marine Corps that I learned a valuable lesson......."What can I do for them!!!" Tournament wins and cashing checks in tournament is great, but if you can't sell heaters to someone on the North Pole, why would a sponsor want to help you, you have to be able to help him!! I have several friends that have boat deals, one thing I can say from talking to them, you still better have deep pockets!!! They are going to expect you to have a new boat at least every 2 years, and you will have to pay for it. If you take it on a long term loan, which alot of boat owners do you will not get back on the boat what you owe on it!! But you will be required to buy a new one at discount, can you will have to sell the other one. I was offer a boat deal, with a major boat manufacture, I had to turn it down, because I just can't afford to purchase a new boat every 2 year and make $500 payments a month on it so I can sell it for what I owe in 2 years. Be careful.
wow i didnt know it could be so,shall i say,"dangerous".
Old 06-29-06, 04:33 PM   #13
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

Senko, it's not so as you say dangerous, you just have to do your homework and know that your going to be able to uphold your agreement with the sponsors. It can be dangerous if you just jump in with both feet, and don't really think through it!
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-06, 08:37 AM   #14
Tnbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny BBS
Senko, it's not so as you say dangerous, you just have to do your homework and know that your going to be able to uphold your agreement with the sponsors. It can be dangerous if you just jump in with both feet, and don't really think through it!
Right, and you won't be sponsored long, either.Remember, it's business, and you must treat it as such.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.