Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-08, 05:23 PM   #1
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Which Reel?

Currently looking at upgrading my baitcasting reel. I plan on giving my old abu garcia ambassadour to my son. that being said im looking at purchasing either a Shimano Castaic http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-1

Or a Curado http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-1

in a 200DHSV model.

Now. To be honest I would go for the castaic hands down except for the exact feature I want it for. The thumb bar engage. I've heard reports of them being an absolute lifesaver, and reports of them not fully engaging and causing a huge birds nest when you go to set the hook on a fish. Anyone have any experience with them.

I plan on putting it on a 7ft MH rod, braided line, fishing heavy cover general all around pole. IE-pitching, flipping, plastics, frogs in heavy cover, etc

My fishing partner fishes a revo and while I love his reel I am looking for something different.

Any input would be appreciated.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 07:31 PM   #2
Captmikestarrett

Look at the Pflueger President..

I have four and they are very good quality..

Capt Mike
Old 04-28-08, 07:40 PM   #3
bassinbob

I had a Castaic and took it back for the superfree Curado a few years back. Don't regret it either. Not sure why you don't like the Revo's? What do you mean by something different?
Old 04-28-08, 08:03 PM   #4
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I had a Castaic and took it back for the superfree Curado a few years back. Don't regret it either. Not sure why you don't like the Revo's? What do you mean by something different?

oh i like the revo's fine, lowrider sports one. i just wanted something different than my fishing partner.
Old 04-29-08, 05:05 AM   #5
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

doesn't matter what you get...i'm still gonna out fish ya!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 05:10 AM   #6
lowrider

i do love my revo, i am hesitant, though to load it full of braid and go into those pads like we've been doing lately. let the old round reel handle those duties for now and the revo gets the hard baits and spinners
Old 04-29-08, 03:37 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd look at the Daiwa reels. You can engage the reel with the thumbar on all Daiwa's. I own two (an $80 one and a $200 one.) and have never had a problem with either not engaging right.

BB
Old 04-30-08, 08:43 AM   #8
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

hey doc,,give a good look at Ardent reels,,they are great reels and made in the USA. i am sure you will fall in love
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 10:28 AM   #9
doc

Well I ended up getting the exact reel I said I wanted something different than.
I found a revo premier http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-1]

on sale for 179.00 , so I ordered it. Ill post back on my review.
Old 05-02-08, 05:00 PM   #10
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

YOU FOUND A PREMIER FOR $180!?!?!

Tackle Warehouse has them on sale for only $259.99.... Too bad I just blew $50 on spinnerbaits there..

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 02:35 AM   #11
islandbass

Wow!! $179!!! That is a steal of a deal. Congrats!
Old 05-03-08, 10:54 AM   #12
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Wow!! $179!!! That is a steal of a deal. Congrats!

E-Bay is your friend when it comes to fishing gear. I ordered mine wednesday, shipping said it would be here monday. New in origional box, never opened, warranty, oil, and even the abu garcia free shirt offer.

Just make sure if you E-bay stuff your seller is reputable. I bought mine from poorfish. he has something like 30,000 positve and 16 negative feedback.
Old 05-03-08, 10:55 AM   #13
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I'm guessing BaitNHook? I ordered a reel from them almost three weeks ago and I STILL don't have my reel. I got a reel from them two weeks after I ordered it, but it was the wrong one. Good prices, but long wait - but maybe you're luckier.
EDIT : Oh, maybe not BaitNHook. Either way, stay away from them.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 10:57 AM   #14
doc

see above post jooleyen
Old 05-05-08, 02:12 PM   #15
doc

Well I recieved my revo premier today, on time. I havn't had the chance to fish with it yet of course but I can tell you it is absolutely the lightest reel i've ever felt. My first impressions are good, with 0 brakes i can disengage the spool and use my thumb to flick the spool for a good 10 second freespin. I hope that transfers over to casting distance and not birds nests .

I was a little wary about ordering from E-bay, I made sure my seller had a good rep and it sure came thru. I recieved my reel along with my invoice from his store (not, an online auction) with a retail price of 259.00, so my warranty, free offers, rebates would still be in tact. At the bottom of the invoice was a message saying the actual price of the reel and to tear that part off and use the top invoice for warranty information. I say thats going above and beyond to make sure your customer gets all the services that any retailer can provide.

Ill post back on my review of the reel as soon as I hit the water.
*punches low rider in the side, wanna go fishin?
Old 05-05-08, 02:22 PM   #16
Lilmoosecountry

My suggestion is use the search feature. This question comes up way to much.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 02:54 PM   #17
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
that being said im looking at purchasing either a Shimano Castaic Or a Curado in a 200DHSV model.

Now. To be honest I would go for the castaic hands down except for the exact feature I want it for. The thumb bar engage. I've heard reports of them being an absolute lifesaver, and reports of them not fully engaging and causing a huge birds nest when you go to set the hook on a fish. Anyone have any experience with them.

I plan on putting it on a 7ft MH rod, braided line, fishing heavy cover general all around pole. IE-pitching, flipping, plastics, frogs in heavy cover, etc
I realize you already bought your reel. But I have three of the Castaic's, and a Curado, and a Citica, and have had three of the Calais's. I sold the Calais'sThey were great reels, but to be honest the most exspensive reel in the world isn't "THAT MUCH BETTER" than the Castaics, and I love the Castaic's. Anybody believe I'm a Shimano man rotfl. Anyway, there is only a slight problem with the Castaic's and that is that if you palm the reel, which I do. Then occaisionally you will disengage the reel with your hand. It has never failed to engage when flipped, or the reel handle turned. They are lightweight, durable, have the best drag on the market as far as I'm concerned. I use these reels for everything, not just pitching. I do not believe you would have been disappointed with it if you had purchased it. My next reel however will be a saltwater reel.

Lizards
Old 05-05-08, 03:28 PM   #18
doc

If anyone is iterested I have a link to other abu revo prem reels for 179.00. This is the same seller I bought mine from, he also has a e-bay store set up. I dont usually advertise for anyone but I felt i got a very fair shake from this fellow, and even saved 80.00+ on a top of the line reel.

Here is the Revo Prem http://cgi.ebay.com/ABU-GARCIA-REVO-...742.m153.l1262

and here is his complete store http://stores.ebay.com/poor-fish-sto...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Old 05-06-08, 07:32 PM   #19
lowrider

i saw your little jab...it's on sunday. and i'm tellin you that the f&f bad mojo is now a thing of the past, so watch out
Old 05-06-08, 09:15 PM   #20
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Yeah, I just purchased a reel from poor fish and it will come tomorrow. Great guy to deal with. We'll see how the reel is.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.