Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-11, 11:53 AM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Update with work/layoff

I posted a while back about the possibility of me getting laid off at work. Well over the past week a lot of things have happened and in the end Britney and I were left with a big decision to make. I had already come to the conclusion that I was going to be laid off and we were making plans on where we would go from there as far as me going back to school or finding out what I would enjoy doing as a career. Well they called me in the office last week and gave me a job offer on nights. Britney and I already decided if that offer was given to me that I would just take the layoff because night shift just wouldn't work for us and I didn't want to miss time away from her and Lake. So the next day I went in and told them I would take my severance package and the plant manager asked me if it would make a difference if he offered me a job on days and I told him it would make my decision a lot tougher. Turns out they offered me a job on the same shift I am working now, only thing is that the job is one level below what I am doing now. It is a significant cut in pay but I would still be making a lot more money that I have been making in the last year because I would be going back to a full work schedule. The decision was tough because I am really not happy with my job and I was looking at the layoff as a second chance to figure out what job would make me happy and with the severance package I would still be making money while I was trying to figure it out and then if it took long enough I would still make money on unemployment which would allow me more time for a decision. In the end we decided that I would stay at work and take the pay cut because I will still be making more money than most people in our area and who knows when the economy will come back and I will be able to find another job. In the mean time while I am at work I can still do some soul searching and figure out what I would like to do and work towards a career change at my own pace. The biggest problem I had with my job is working every other weekend, it always seems like when I wanted to do something it was on the weekends I had to work. However that is no longer a problem because since they did away with 30% of their employees they also rearranged the shifts so that I will be off every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday as well as every other Monday. The bottom line is that although I am not crazy about my job, I am glad to have one. Jobs aren't easy to find right now and a smart monkey doesn't let go of a limb until he has a firm grip on another one.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 12:04 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Jobs are tough to get right now, especialy good ones. You probably made the right choice. I know it's tough to have time for anything when you have a family, but you should probably think about taking some evening classes or online classes to further your education and be ready to get the job you want when it becomes available. By the way, what type of work do you do and what are you interested in. I used to be a heavy equipment operator, cranes, blades and backhoes in the road and bridge construction industry. I got a back injury and was not able to return to that. The county that i work for told me about another job with them as an inspector. I took a few short certification classes and now make more money than I used to. Now I watch contracting companies build roads and bridges. You never know what might be out there until you look hard enough.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 12:10 PM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think you made a wise decision, Kory. You're making more money now than you were in the recent past, you've got a good schedule (off EVERY Friday, the weekends, PLUS every other Monday? That's pretty sweet, there...), and you maintained your family's stability. That's a win, in my book. On down the road you may decide to move on to bigger and better things, but for now, in my opinion, you're doing ok.
Also, I think it says good things about you in the fact that they were 1. Willing to keep you, then 2. Offered you a better deal when the first one wasn't good enough. To me, when a company is laying some people off, but negotiating to keep certain ones, the ones they're trying to keep must be worth something.
So keep your head up, you're doing pretty good. Congratulations on the new job.
Old 04-11-11, 04:15 PM   #4
bcklash

Daniel is right on the money. If you have a job in todays world you best hang on to it until things start rockin again and who knows when that will be.
Old 04-11-11, 04:23 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Does your severance package roll over? I would get them on the record about what they were offering you. It would help out if they decide to can you in 6 months and then all of a sudden, there are no severance packages.

It's good to see someone who will work for a little less money and keep their self respect, rather than saying "pffft...I'll just sit back and coast for a while." It's pretty rare these days. Good man.
Old 04-11-11, 04:26 PM   #6
MIbasser

I agree with the other guys. I would think that it's much easier to look for another job while you currently have one and a whole lot less stressful.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 04:47 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Does your severance package roll over? I would get them on the record about what they were offering you. It would help out if they decide to can you in 6 months and then all of a sudden, there are no severance packages.

It's good to see someone who will work for a little less money and keep their self respect, rather than saying "pffft...I'll just sit back and coast for a while." It's pretty rare these days. Good man.
The companys policy is that when they do a permanant layoff (meaning there is no chance of a call back and in order to work there again you will have to be rehired) they give severance packages. If it is a temporary layoff then no severance package is given out.

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I really felt good about the decision to not work nights and just take the layoff but when they threw the next offer at me I was kinda shocked and didn't know what to do. Britney and I discussed it for several hours and weighed out all the options and made what we think is the best decision. I say best decision because I honestly don't think there was a wrong decision but I wanted to make sure we made the best decision. It's good to know that you guys agree with what we decided.
Old 04-11-11, 05:18 PM   #8
bamabassman

you made the right decision kory. things are going to get rougher in the near future. everyone here supports oyu in this choice. for the company to put you in a postion that is really a good one, they like oyur work (which i knew would be the right thing to do), and are willing to help oyu because they don't want to lose you. it is rare for a company to try to keep an employee in this day and age. most companies think of a "laborer" as just another back. oyu have proven oyur worth to this company. you're a good man kory, good father and great husband and i am PROUD to call you a friend.

good move buddy.
Old 04-11-11, 05:24 PM   #9
walkeraviator

Im glad this worked out for you C-Rig. in Nov '09 our company handed us all pink slips, but came back and ended up keeping us. I was in the same boat as you then, I actually thought that getting paid off would be the kick in the pants i needed to move on to a better job. Instead, I hung around. Now we have been told that when they sign a new contract with the Hospital, we will have 30 days notice from the moment the pen hits the dotted line, so I am frantically looking for more work in this economy and it blows.

Where I differ from you is that I have a chosen profession that I love, and am in a lot of dept to have a Bachelors degree in this field. So going back to school or choosing a new career is out of the question. But in such a specialized job, jobs are already hard to find, and now I have to compete with furloughed and laid off airline pilots with 3 times my flight time. IN addition, the one job I could get hands down, i wont work. I care to much for my family to put them through the crap of entry level regional airline jobs.

Im glad things worked out for the best in your situation. It restores your faith in Gods plan when things work out like this. I am still waiting for him to show me what he has in store for me.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 06:00 PM   #10
keithdog

Kory, I've been worried about ya pal, with the job situation and the baby to provide for and all. I'm so very pleased to see they made you an offer and you accepted it. For now, that was the best thing you could do. Like you said, you can still plan your future while your working. I know you don't like the job, but it pays the bills and that 3 day weekend will be nice. I know what you mean aboout how working every other weekend is a royal pain. My wife works that schedule and your right, seems she is always working on a weekend when something is going on. Like the Wheeler lake get together. I'd have to leave by thursday night or friday morning if she came with me because she works that saturday. Thanks for keeping us informed and God bless ya.
Old 04-11-11, 06:15 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Kory, I've been worried about ya pal, with the job situation and the baby to provide for and all. I'm so very pleased to see they made you an offer and you accepted it. For now, that was the best thing you could do. Like you said, you can still plan your future while your working. I know you don't like the job, but it pays the bills and that 3 day weekend will be nice. I know what you mean aboout how working every other weekend is a royal pain. My wife works that schedule and your right, seems she is always working on a weekend when something is going on. Like the Wheeler lake get together. I'd have to leave by thursday night or friday morning if she came with me because she works that saturday. Thanks for keeping us informed and God bless ya.
Thank you Keith.
Old 04-11-11, 06:35 PM   #12
lilmule

Yes right decision,oddly if you took the severance pkg then possibly later what employment was available would pay even less than the lower grade you just took.
And most likly just as unenjoyable,if not more so.
One can find themselves scrambling with 300 others wanting the same job that you wouldnt have even considered prior.
I went to night school for 7 years to upgrade,then was on call 24/7 for thirteen years but at a decent pay.Worked odd hrs at times(8 years 3-11) and yes it does interfere with quality time spent with family.
Now that im retired I do miss that $.but not the time spent.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 06:53 PM   #13
Jrob78

Good for you Kory! It sounds like you made the best decision for your family. I think your "smart monkey" comment pretty much sums it up. Just don't get complacent, keep searching until you find the job that you really want, whatever that is.
Old 04-11-11, 08:39 PM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

You definitely made the right choice Kory. Especially with a wife and baby.
And 3 day weekends are nice! Friday is my fav day to fish. Love seeing company trucks driving by on the road as I'm casting!
Congrats on going back!
Old 04-13-11, 12:14 AM   #15
66KingFisher

Ya know....for a young man you just made some very wise decisions far beyond your years of experience, and I tip my hat to you for it.
Old 04-13-11, 12:27 AM   #16
1/4 stick

I'm glad you're still gonna have a job. There's still pleanty of time to find what you want to do and work toward that. In the mean time you still have a way of supporting the family. Good choice bud. I wish you happiness.
Old 04-13-11, 01:46 AM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.