Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-08, 03:28 AM   #1
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thumbs up Early Fadda's Day (Sat.)

My son (retired Navy Senior Chief; Bank Asst. VP) took me to the Blue Star in San Antonio y'day. Had their house-brewed Pale Ale (2), the mixed greens and chicken salad, the pork soup (Fantastic!) and I ordered a small bowl of tuna (on my tab) for a stray kitty that was begging there. I wanted to take the cat home. May go back for it.
We finished up with a drink at the Fox and Hound ("Vulpine et Canine" for you high school Latin Club types), served by the lovely Helen. Forgot the great cigar Son gave me (Left it on the table. Enjoy it, Jesse T. Bartender!) but I did NOT forget the nice card from Son, DIL, and adorable Granddaughter OR the generous BPS gift card.
Great Day!
I wish the same joy for ALL dads here.

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 11:17 PM   #2
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds like you raised a good puddle jumper there, L6. Well done, sir. Hope you had an excellent Fadda's Day and went back for the felis domesticus restaurantii.

-Ig-pay

Last edited by pignjig; 06-16-08 at 12:16 PM. Reason: rusty latin
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 08:40 AM   #3
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

sweet sounds like you had a good fathers day..

did your son go to the academy ?
Old 06-16-08, 09:26 AM   #4
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
sweet sounds like you had a good fathers day..

did your son go to the academy ?
Yep, a GREAT F's Day.

No, he did not. A Senior Chief Petty officer is the equivalent of a Master Sergeant in the other branches, not a commissioned officer.
Son dropped out of HS a couple of years after his mom and I split up. I took him back, made him get his GED, then told him that when he reached age 18 it was gonna be either college or the military. Since his dad and grandfather were both Army officers he decided to be a wise-a55 and become a swabby, telling all and sundry that he'd do his first hitch then get out.
He was selected for ET (Electronics Tech) School, ranked first in his class, and was then posted to Iceland. There, he met a nice girl, two ranks above his, and began a lifelong commitment. She encouraged him to take advantage of the amazing reenlistment bonus he was offered and he did. Several re-up bonuses and 21.5 years later he retired.
Three times he was offered (and politely refused) direct commissions as an officer. On one occasion his skipper contacted me and asked me to intervene and talk him into accepting, but Son refused because he so enjoyed his work AND the power that Chiefs, like NCOs in the Army, wield despite not being commissioned officers.
In short order, he passed his spouse, rank-wise, but she caught up while in the Reserves...Whew!
While in the Navy, Son earned a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, then earned a Master's Degree (MBA). His spouse, BTW, earned a Bachelor's in Education and a Master's in Elementary Education. Along the way they produced my adorable granddaughter, who'll turn 15 in December.
Son also served on marksmanship teams while in the Navy and owns some serious match weaponry.
After retiring in '06, Son took a job with a state agency here in Texas, but wanted more than the 65K they paid. Sooooo...a well-known bank here in San Antonio created a position especially for him. Well, 8 months later he's still there and doing well.
Son and DIL have just moved into a 2500 sq. ft. pad in a gated community and the DIL is teaching school. G'daughter is in an Honors and Advanced College Prep dealio and is a fine athlete as well.
(Am I bragging? Damned right. My son was on the streets at one time, due to my wimpy ex-spouse. Look at him now!)
After he and the DIL married, the Navy gave them quite a "wedding gift"; A 2-year posting to Bermuda. There, Son joined the IGFA (International Game Fish Association) and bought a 25-footer to go pester the fish offshore.
All that's left is to steer him into a bassboat dealeship...BassCat Cougar FTD or Champ 210 Elite will do nicely...Heh!
DIL left went into the reserves after the child was hatched but remained in the Active Reserves. So, on more than one occasion, when I was aboard Son's ship for a guest cruise, she was doing her reserve gig on the same ship. Wow!
She retired from the reserves at the same time Son retired from Active Duty at age 37, at the same ceremony (Em'ceed by a Naval Captain, same as Full Colonel in the other services) and will receive a Senior Chief's retirement pay when she reaches 65. Sharp lady.
Well, you asked...and I hope all here can appreciate (and, hopefully, tolerate.) my expression of pride in my boy and his service to God and Country.
Come to think of it, I'm the only black sheep in the flock, .

All hands, secure from General Quarters! Hoist "Well Done".

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 12:05 PM   #5
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds like a good fathers, or Fadda's day.

-stevo
Old 06-16-08, 04:41 PM   #6
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

wow.. great story.. i was wondering.. i'm headed to the navy also when i graduate.. and idk if i want to even try the academy or not... my grandmother is good friends with the congressmen so i probally can get the nomination.. or is it best for the regular ranks

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.