Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-09, 10:19 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Where can I get a spare spool?

Ok I've got this reel: http://www.blackfriday.fm/product/jo...cast-reel/8793

BPS Johnny Morris' Limited Gold Baitcast Reel (2008)

And I've found I can cast more accurately with mono, and now I have braid on. But I wanna have braid for when I'm fishing worms because it's more sensitive! I've been looking around online with no luck. So does anyone know where I can get one? I wanna have one with 17lb mono, and one with braid. I'll keep these in my box so when I wanna change techniques I can change spools. Any info would be great! Links, phone numbers, and the like!

Thanks!

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-02-09 at 10:40 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 11:45 PM   #2
bamabassman

call bps pal. they should be able to get you another spool.
Old 07-03-09, 08:09 AM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
call bps pal. they should be able to get you another spool.
Thanks bama!
Old 07-03-09, 08:58 AM   #4
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't know that I've ever seen a spare spool for a baitcaster. Let us know if you find one.
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 09:18 AM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsaibp View Post
I don't know that I've ever seen a spare spool for a baitcaster. Let us know if you find one.
Sure thing!
Old 07-03-09, 09:22 AM   #6
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Check with someone who does reel repair. They'll have one or be able to get one.
Old 07-03-09, 09:52 AM   #7
Bassboss

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ID=40&option=2

Well I found a number for BPS reel repair and parts. I call the number and they say the person I'm trying to reach is not set up for voice mail?!?!?!?

Hours are Mon.-Fri. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. I tried a few times and same thing kept happening?!?!

I'll just try later
Old 07-03-09, 10:44 AM   #8
Jim80

Boss how big of a pain would it be to switch the spool while you are out fishing ? Is that the direction you were thinking of going ? I only ask because it is not a small task most of the time to get the reel apart and i would hate to see you lose crucial parts to it on the bank .

Jim
Old 07-03-09, 04:52 PM   #9
bamabassman

i thought about this as well jim. looks like a pain with the current reel boss has. now i have a very old garcia reel that came with an extra spool. there is a little flap that flips out and the spool comes out the side. and yes i have the extra spool still. the reel was given to me around 25 years ago by my father. it is the second gerneration mag force reel abu garcia came out with. oh.. and i have the first mag force reel as well. both still work great. had them both refurbished this past spring.
Old 07-03-09, 05:01 PM   #10
cassidyta

On the johnny morris, it is a pain in the butt to swap the spool while fishing. I have an extra one, but only because I found a mostly broken reel through a reel repair shop. I generally try to busted reels to match my higher end ones. It works well for parts. (unless of course, the part you need is the busted part....lol)
I would check ebay. I see a couple of reels for less than $20 with shipping. once you identify the model type, you can look up the schematics from BPS and see if they are the same part number.
BTW..I did not like the braid on my JM. It just did not perform very well.
Old 07-03-09, 06:44 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

email BPS or Pflueger. that should be able to tell you how to get one.

BB
Old 07-04-09, 06:03 PM   #12
Bassboss

Thanks guys, I didn't really think of how hard it may be changing the spool out wile fishing.

I went to BPS yesterday night, I brought my reel in with me and asked if they had any spare spools for it. They didn't, so that kinda sucked, I'll have to see if I can order one through phone or email, I'll let y'all know! While I was in there with my reel I tried on different rods, not looking to buy any at the time, just for the heck of it..... thought I do a little bit of fantasising while I was there! I put on a Shimano Cumara, and WOW!!!!!!! That thing was the freaking most well balanced, light rod I've ever seen! Amazing!

Any ways,

I also got some 14lb XPS flouro (thank for advising it Kevin ) to but on my reel. I took a chop stick and a drill and put the braid onto the chop stick, so if I don't like it I can take the flouro off and the braid back on. I'm gonna go fishing tomorrow and see how I like it. It's pretty sensitive and low stretch from what I hear, so I see how it works as far as sensitivity goes with worms.
Old 07-04-09, 06:19 PM   #13
Jim80

As far as fluorocarbon goes I don't see any reason you would not like it . Just spray it with a line conditioner before and after you fish and it will help keep the memory under control .

Jim
Old 07-04-09, 06:44 PM   #14
JB

I'd just get another reel and keep it as a second..by the time you open that sideplate and cut your line to get the spool out, then put a dif spool in, feed line through it and then the rod and retie, I'd probably guess after about two times you'll be sick of how long all that takes when you could have been fishing.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 07:53 AM   #15
bassboogieman

Heck, if you're gonna buy another reel............ buy another rod too......... then you're done. No swapping required.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 09:01 AM   #16
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I'd just get another reel and keep it as a second..by the time you open that sideplate and cut your line to get the spool out, then put a dif spool in, feed line through it and then the rod and retie, I'd probably guess after about two times you'll be sick of how long all that takes when you could have been fishing.
I do this myself , got a spare reel that I keep in my tackle bag just in case i need it .

Jim
Old 07-05-09, 09:33 AM   #17
Bassboss

Yeah, That's one thing I did forget when I was at bass pro is some line and lure.... I'll try the stuff at wall mart though!

I would love to get a new reel, but it's a bit on a pain when I'm fishing to keep back tracking for my tackle bag (which is steadily getting heavier), and another pole........................ I think what I really need is a boat! If I go get a new combo, I want it to be a shimano curado E5, with a Shimano Cumara rod! A man can dream can't he!
Old 07-05-09, 09:47 AM   #18
BigBassin144

bassboss, don't waste your money on the Reel Magic, KVD Line and Lure is much better, although a bit more expensive. Although if BPS is too far for you to go just to get that, then the reel magic will work...

just not as good.

BB
Old 07-05-09, 10:08 AM   #19
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
bassboss, don't waste your money on the Reel Magic, KVD Line and Lure is much better, although a bit more expensive. Although if BPS is too far for you to go just to get that, then the reel magic will work...

just not as good.

BB
I would tend to agree about the reel magic only being used in a pinch , it is an oil based solution somewhat like wd-40 and it says right on the package that it is not meant for fluorocarbon lines . But if ya gotta use it by all means give it a whirl .

Jim
Old 07-05-09, 11:02 AM   #20
Bassboss

Thanks BB and jim!

So dose the KVD line and lure change the line at all? I was talking to my dad about it on the way home from BPS, and he said it would probably change the line in some way other than making it more limp. And do you just spray it right on the spool of line on the reel? Is that ok for it?
Old 07-05-09, 07:54 PM   #21
bamabassman

i do boss, it does make it limp. that is what it is supposed to do. conditions the line. does not make it weaker or nothing like that if that is what you are asking.
Old 07-05-09, 08:59 PM   #22
BigBassin144

bama's right. all it does is make the line more limp. When I spool up, I'll spray it on right after spooling (or on reels w/o it on it). the first time, try to do it 24hrs before you go fishing. Then I spray it on after every other fishing trip. I use it on all my mono and fluoro. You can use it on braid, but I don't.

BB
Old 07-06-09, 08:30 AM   #23
Bassboss

Thanks guys, I'll defiantly get some!
Old 07-06-09, 09:12 PM   #24
Bassboss

Well I went fishing today! My dad's got a few vacation, so he took today off. We went exploring further out west and "played red neck" the truck got muddy as heck, bumpy muddy roads, windows down, kinda fun! We also fished of courser, but the only one that caught anything was my little bro using a little snapper Jig. He caught 3 or 4 little bass. Any way, about the flouro, I really didn't like that much too tell the truth, I have not got the line conditioner yet, so I'll still give it a chance with the it! I lost two PIGS! One using a jig, and one using a popper worm. I was casting to some brush on one side of the canal, and working my jig, I felt a bump the jig started moving off to the left, and I set the hook, it went for the wood, than I got it to open water, it felt HUGE, than she broke me off! I had just re-tied to I don't think the line was frayed, and it didn't break off the knot I know, I use a fishin' fool (my new fave knot for mono/flouro) and also saw where the line bust. That so sucked! The other one was using a worm float on backwards with a speed worm, I set the hook to soon, but saw the fish (clear water), looked over 5lbs to me! I had a few follows on a frog, but no hits.

So if I don't like the flouro, I'm gonna but on 17lb mono, and if I don't like that, I'll put the braid back on!
Old 07-06-09, 10:11 PM   #25
BigBassin144

Before you go back to mono or braid, give Seaguar InvisX a try. I've never used the BPS fluorocarbon, but I haven't had a single problem with breaking off the Seaguar that I've had with a different brand or two. I've also heard Trilene 100% doesn't break off as easily as some fluoros.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.