Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-06, 09:44 AM   #1
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I'm looking for a sensitive gear setup for fine plastic bait.

I'll go to Toronto next week. I want to find a sensitive gear setup for fine plastic at BassPro shop Toronto. Any suggestion about the reel and rod? Thanks.

Best Regards

H2O
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 11:14 AM   #2
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Get a nice drop-shot rod. I think Daiwa has a nice, economical line out, and St. Croix has some real beauties. Then, get a light/ ultralight spinning reel, and load it with 6 pound Ande.
For finesse work, I use an 8 year old, $20 shakespeare cirrus, 5' with 6 pund. I know it's a piece of crap, but I like it, so remember, It's more about what you like than the price.
Old 03-09-06, 12:09 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Don't forget to get a good quality line, thats where most of the sensitivity begins..
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-06, 06:10 PM   #4
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Don't forget to get a good quality line, thats where most of the sensitivity begins..
Yeah! I still have a whole roll of Cajun red cast 8lb. However, I might need some red cast 4lb! what do you think?

H2O
Old 03-09-06, 06:54 PM   #5
PowerBass

For fine PLastics, like 4inch right? I reccomend a ML Spinning rod, wiht size 2000 or equivalent reel
Old 03-09-06, 07:37 PM   #6
bass kicker

dont go to bass pro shops H2O go to the sportsmen show you will get a better deal there and its in toronto and it is all march break
Old 03-09-06, 10:16 PM   #7
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O
I'll go to Toronto next week. I want to find a sensitive gear setup for fine plastic at BassPro shop Toronto. Any suggestion about the reel and rod? Thanks.

Best Regards

H2O
I'm not really sure what you're asking. Are you wanting the most sensitive rod/reel combo for little fish? Sorry I just don't understand other than you want a worming rod/reel. Are you trying to find a drop shot rig, a c-rig, a t-rig, a weightless rig?

Lizards
Old 03-09-06, 11:39 PM   #8
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
I'm not really sure what you're asking. Are you wanting the most sensitive rod/reel combo for little fish? Sorry I just don't understand other than you want a worming rod/reel. Are you trying to find a drop shot rig, a c-rig, a t-rig, a weightless rig?

Lizards
I'm looking for a worming rod/reel.
Old 03-09-06, 11:41 PM   #9
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
dont go to bass pro shops H2O go to the sportsmen show you will get a better deal there and its in toronto and it is all march break
Thanks for the information.
Old 03-10-06, 08:14 AM   #10
lizardsrule

Well for ME, a great worming rod is a 6'6" Medium Heavy St Croix, G-Loomis, or Rogue. All of these rods are usually a little more than your Walmart stuff, so it also depends on your budget. If you will be using it for weightless plastics also(I do) then IMO a spinning rod, with a decent reel would work well. If it's for heavier or weighted plastics, then a Baitcaster can work just as well. I like Quantum for my spinning reels, and Shimano for my baitcasting reels. However the brands are a preference thing. If you are c-rigging a lot a 7' rod would be more of my choice. I do however pitch probably more than anything else these days with plastics, which means I use a Baitcaster(Shimano Castaic) that has a locking thumbar(pitching switch) I use instead of spinning gear. Man there are just too many choices, all depends on what you want. I'm to the point with my rods/reels, that I just use specific rods for specifics techniques. Like cranking, spinnerbaits/buzzbaits, t-rig, c-rig, drop shot, flipping(I dislike flipping a whole lot), pitching, etc... So if it's just a all around rod, again a 6'6" MH would be a good choice, unless you are a little shorter, than a 6' would work better probably.

Lizards
Old 03-10-06, 10:41 AM   #11
basstech

G.Loomis IMX 721-21 Spinning rod with a shimano stradic 2500, that handles up to 1/4 very well, though is a little stiff for 1/16th ounce. If your talking for crappie and walleye, imx 700-21 spinning rod with stradic 1500
Old 03-10-06, 04:41 PM   #12
zooker

i use a fenwick techna av 7' mh casting stick with a lefty reel-pfluger- and a fenwick 6'10" medium spinning rod with a quatum energy pti 30 spinning reel..

zooker
Old 03-10-06, 04:43 PM   #13
zooker

tech 4'6'' spinning rod round here is called a shooter-crappie jig shooter-
which is a techquie i still anit got down..yet..
zooker
Old 03-10-06, 05:24 PM   #14
youngbassman77

H20,

I like what everyone here recommended... It also depends on your budget... With the budget that I had, I got a 6'6 MH Shimano Clarus rod with a Shimano Sonora 2500FA (spinning combo)... Paid barely over 100 bux for the set up... And after testing and trying, I absolutely love it... Its a great combo, I think...I'm only a beginner, so I'm sure I have more to experience with it, but so far so good... So when it really comes down to it, Its your personal preference.

~YBM
youngbassman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 09:01 PM   #15
basstech

Im sure you'll do well with it. Didn't know you were a beginner. When you get to a certain point in fishing you may be amazed how much a person will work to expand their fishing budget any way they can.
Old 03-11-06, 11:37 AM   #16
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
tech 4'6'' spinning rod round here is called a shooter-crappie jig shooter-
which is a techquie i still anit got down..yet..
zooker
Sounds very interesting. Any picture, or online information? Thanks

I know fenwick techna is great, however, kinda expansive to me now. !'m a student now, and I'm looking for a job.... thanks

Last edited by H2O; 03-11-06 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-11-06, 10:43 PM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O
Sounds very interesting. Any picture, or online information? Thanks

I know fenwick techna is great, however, kinda expansive to me now. !'m a student now, and I'm looking for a job.... thanks
I got to see this first hand with zooker LOL. They take the crAppie jig in their hand and pull the rod tip down, about bent over double. Then they point it under the docks, and let go of the jig, and the line on the spinning reel. It's a timing thing, but they shoot those little jigs like a dart under the dock, I'm sure it would work with other stuff, just gotta use a very flexible rod. Was actually pretty cool I just skip plastics though LOL.

Lizards
Old 03-12-06, 07:46 AM   #18
PowerBass

H20,
look into the Fenwick HMX or Eagle Gt, Gt retails for around 50-55 dollars US, and the HMX is around 60-70 dollars US. I personally own 2 HMX rods, a 6ft Light action rod, and a 6ft MH rod, both spinning. I paired the MH up wiht a Mitchell Avocet reel, very good reel for the money, mine has lasted me over a year now.
Old 03-12-06, 10:28 AM   #19
zooker

yeah lizzy got it. he also seen a twin moter powered bass boat as in 2 outboards..

zooker
Old 03-12-06, 11:41 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
yeah lizzy got it. he also seen a twin moter powered bass boat as in 2 outboards..

zooker
And no gas left after a short run LOL

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.