Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-07, 08:16 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Ranting!!!

the story:
early saturday morning i was running up the lake with both lights on.when a person in a jon boat with NO lights came cutting out of the mid lake launch. i was already to duck and dive -not the first time it has happened in this area- i chopped power and yanked it hard left..i missed this guy's out board by INCHES.. he unknowingly kept right on a running up lake..

now the rant!:
i don't care what boat you drive if it has an out board moter it needs to have both front and back lights that work..running in the pitch dark up a lake is risky/insane enough. let alone having to dodge ingorant morons who are too lazy to use the lights..

i know a lot of the younger guys do not have the money to buy . much more than an old beat up jon boat with an old outboard on it.. but in a recent bait monkey spree i noticed that the stern light -thats the white one- and the bow light -red/green-were advailable for under $10 each. so really there is no excuse not to have them equiped..

i know that every state rules are differant..but in NC you must have an "readily advailable" white light in any boat under 16 foot. i belive as a person who fishes alot in the dark hours of night this is NOT ENOUGH..

i don't really care if you have a 10 foot jon boat with a 2 horse moter on it. or a 20 foot glass boat with a 250 horse moter on it.. if you use the boat in the dark hours of night or in heavy fog you need to burn the lights. not only for others safty but for your own safty..

on a side note the person who was mentioned in the story above was some one i knew. i spoke with his father via cell phone moments after the afore mentioned incedent took place.. i know that boat is equiped with running lights. the son was in too big a hurry to put them in place and turn them on..his impatiance nearly cost him his life..

zooker
Old 06-25-07, 08:19 PM   #2
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sucks bro. HERES MY RANT FOR TODAY. I SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN BED

Damn it is not my day. Had a limited amt of time, about 2.5 hours to go out today, so I can do some stuff for mom. I got there and when backing in the rop I tied to the boat to the dock, got caught on the trailer bunk, and when I pulled up, the rope brought hte boat back on the trailer cockeyed. I backed in again to push it off, and pull up, and samething, yet the baot is really f'd up on the trailer. I pull out, and notice I bent the friggin wheel well down. Thank god it didnt hit the tire. Damn was I pissed. but it only gets better. Go to pull a rod out of the rod locker, and they are all tangled. Takes 15 minutes to fix or just a hair under. MY DAY IS LOVELY. I miss a fish on the spinnerbait after this. Kick me in the nuts when Im down huh? Then, a family rented a pontoon boat. ABout 15 people on this thing. They cut within 4 ft of my boat the one time I was fishign then came back, and with in 8 ft. They ran over my line. I followed em back to the boat rental area, and I yelled " Yo next time dont come so f'n close. What the hell was that about?" They couldnt speak english very well, and the one lady was like "Hey, Hey no need for dat" I said " Whatever, asswholes". The guy fromt he boat rental area seen me say this to him, and was clueless. I just threw the throttle for the 9.9 down( I know it is super fast) and yelled one more "Asswhole" at him. They were laughing at me as I said this, so that pissed in my cheerios even more. Then as I am pulling out, I see them back in the pontoon boat, circleing outside the ramp. i was ready to throw down. I wanted to call out to them and say one at a time. I was never so po'ed in my life at someone on the water. They were runnning dangerously close to shore, other boaters etc. I really was wanting to throw down. But i calmed myself down, and went and reported it to the main office. O yea, no fish caught, missed 3. For my 2.5 hours of aggrivation, I shoulda stayed home, and stubbed my toe in the door 80 times in a row. i woulda been happier. It just pisses me off. These people proly didnt have a certificate for boats, like we all had to have, pay for and everything else. We spend our hard earned money on gettin that, and to get in to enjoy some fishing, only to be ruined by some asswhole. I tell ya, Id rather have pleasure boaters, then rent a boaters. So I damaged my trailer, and got buzzed by someone 4 ft away. Someone tell me tommorow will be better. Please. Please be better.
Old 06-25-07, 08:23 PM   #3
zooker

ahhh don't ya just hate summer time..remember power that is why we fish as long as possable in the winter. fewer morons...

zooker
Old 06-25-07, 10:16 PM   #4
Rebbasser

Amen to that.

Quote:
Go to pull a rod out of the rod locker, and they are all tangled. Takes 15 minutes to fix or just a hair under.
VERY easy solution to that problem:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

Started using them a few months ago. 21 rods and if there are any tangles they are minor and pretty rare.
Old 06-26-07, 12:20 AM   #5
Jackl

REB,
There was a guy on Kevins site about 7 or 8 years ago selling home made sleeves made out of denium to pay for repairs to his boat. They were about $3 or $4 apiece, so I ordered a dozen. Have never been sorry. About 3 years ago I needed about a dozen more (Inventory grew) but I could not remember his name and he was not posting on the site anymore. I pursuaded my wife to make me a dozen, using the original pattern. I am set for good now. I would not leave the dock without the sleeves on my rods, and will not put one in the locker without a sleeve on it. Pulling a rod from the locker is like drawing a Ka-bar from a well oiled sheath.

JackL
Old 06-26-07, 01:00 AM   #6
Bender

The best rod covers I have found are these.
Especially when using baits with treble hooks.
Zooker, the worst thing is that you know if there was a collision it would have been "the bass boat was going too fast" or something like that. There would be no mention of the kid without Nav lights.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 08:15 AM   #7
FlyRod

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
the story:
early saturday morning i was running up the lake with both lights on.when a person in a jon boat with NO lights came cutting out of the mid lake launch. i was already to duck and dive -not the first time it has happened in this area- i chopped power and yanked it hard left..i missed this guy's out board by INCHES.. he unknowingly kept right on a running up lake..

now the rant!:
i don't care what boat you drive if it has an out board moter it needs to have both front and back lights that work..running in the pitch dark up a lake is risky/insane enough. let alone having to dodge ingorant morons who are too lazy to use the lights..

i know a lot of the younger guys do not have the money to buy . much more than an old beat up jon boat with an old outboard on it.. but in a recent bait monkey spree i noticed that the stern light -thats the white one- and the bow light -red/green-were advailable for under $10 each. so really there is no excuse not to have them equiped..

i know that every state rules are differant..but in NC you must have an "readily advailable" white light in any boat under 16 foot. i belive as a person who fishes alot in the dark hours of night this is NOT ENOUGH..

i don't really care if you have a 10 foot jon boat with a 2 horse moter on it. or a 20 foot glass boat with a 250 horse moter on it.. if you use the boat in the dark hours of night or in heavy fog you need to burn the lights. not only for others safty but for your own safty..

on a side note the person who was mentioned in the story above was some one i knew. i spoke with his father via cell phone moments after the afore mentioned incedent took place.. i know that boat is equiped with running lights. the son was in too big a hurry to put them in place and turn them on..his impatiance nearly cost him his life..

zooker
Listen to the man, children. Listen to the man!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 09:41 AM   #8
Christopherkeene9

My lights are on before the trailer tires ever get wet, PERIOD.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 05:16 PM   #9
BLWeng
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to BLWeng

It takes 2 mins to put the lights on the boat, kind of like life jackets. In a hurry, no excuse. Sounds like he lucky he wasn't in a hurry for an ambulance ride. I agree, younger generation is bad, but i have seen plenty of "older" and "wiser" people not use them either.

Reb, i usually just wrap the line around rod to keep from getting tangled. I guess it depends what kind and how big the rod locker is, but this works great for me.
Old 06-28-07, 11:10 AM   #10
patchino22

Here is my rant:

I have been fishing a lake on NC State Campus since February. It has been the most consistent spot for big fish that I have ever fished. 1 out of every 2fish I catch there is in excess of 4 lbs (cant beat that ratio). And best of all, there are (were) very few people who fished this spot. Everyone fishes from the banks.....except sneaky old me. My buddy and I would put my boat in late at night and fish through the morning....phenominal (no lights on the boat, but the only boat on the water Zooker). It wasnt easy either, we would have to carry the boat down a big hill and through some woods just to put in (bigger pain when taking out). But the hard work was always rewarded with good fishing. Well now NC State has put in fishing docks and a boat ramp......and the place has been crowded with people. Not the type of people who fish for sport, but the kind that fish to put dinner on the table. I had a guy told me he pulled a 7lber out and ate it with his family....I wanted to kill him. There are too many boats on the water now and the fish population is getting rapidly depleted. My heart is broken, my spot is blown. It will never be the same again

Zooker--I have been following your lead and doing a lot of fishing at night. Its awesome. Nobody on the water, dont have to compete for coves, good spots arent beat up yet from a million fisherman, and the bass seem to be active. Its the way to go! Dont worry, you'll see me before you run over me
patchino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 10:49 AM   #11
BPACA

Here's my rant....Okay down at Ky lake couple of jackasses....first of all got there friday night....fishing was really good around 1:30 am and two jackasses come by in a boat and wanna fish right on top of me....whole lake to fish but since I caught some they gotta be up to me.....then they wake the crap out of the dock when they leave....

Saturday on the boat...I was carolina rigging a point and about 35 yards off the point and some jackass in a ranger comes flying by with a thumbs up...I wanted to give em the finger...comes right between us and the bank...whole lake to go by us in but lets go right over our spot why don't we....

Sunday fishin from the bank and two jack asses wanna fish right along the bank where I am fishing from their boat...whole lake to fish but lets get right up my *** again.....

there yah go.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 11:01 AM   #12
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPACA View Post
Here's my rant....Okay down at Ky lake couple of jackasses....first of all got there friday night....fishing was really good around 1:30 am and two jackasses come by in a boat and wanna fish right on top of me....whole lake to fish but since I caught some they gotta be up to me.....then they wake the crap out of the dock when they leave....

Saturday on the boat...I was carolina rigging a point and about 35 yards off the point and some jackass in a ranger comes flying by with a thumbs up...I wanted to give em the finger...comes right between us and the bank...whole lake to go by us in but lets go right over our spot why don't we....

Sunday fishin from the bank and two jack asses wanna fish right along the bank where I am fishing from their boat...whole lake to fish but lets get right up my *** again.....

there yah go.
Speaking on the behalf of all nonjackasses that fish Kentucky lake, I am sorry for the bad experience. Not all of us are that way. Hope you have a better trip to Kentucky lake next time.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-07, 11:17 AM   #13
BPACA

Thanks man...I know that I've been going down there for the last 7 years or so once a year and ususally there isn't a problem...most of them weren't from KY but on vacation I suppose....don't mean to bash the ky people..lol...

One thing that was surprising was how high the license fees for non res has gotten...30 for 10 day....10 for a day...
Old 06-30-07, 11:57 AM   #14
3dkicker

What's up with the drinking and the night fishing???? Last year my trailer got hit in the parking lot after an evening tournament by a guy who had been drinking. And he was heading out to do some fishing.
Last night I'm standing in line to weigh-in after a 3 hour evening tournament and I could smell liquor on the guy standing in line behind me. What's up with that? Guys will be standing in the parking lot drinking after the tournaments too. Why? If you want to drink, go home or head out to a bar.
I know not everyone does it but the ones that do need to evaluate their priorities.
Old 06-30-07, 12:58 PM   #15
zooker

well you don't hear or see the "other" activity going on during night tourny's..

good thing i know the back water creeks real well...

zooker
Old 06-30-07, 01:44 PM   #16
3dkicker

but I have seen "it" during the day....and I just laugh and wave as I drive by.
Old 06-30-07, 01:53 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

3D in one of the weekly night tourney's i fish a lot of the guys drink. they will be pulling up to weigh in with a beer in their hand. although i have no problem with that (nobody gets out of hand) i won't do it. first off, in a tourney i run balls out everywhere i go, even after dark. although i know this part of the lake really well, i refuse to run 70 miles an hour with a beer in my hand, especially after dark. however when we get back to the weigh in we do stand around and drink a few while we bs with everybody. i don't see what's wrong with this as long as nobody takes it too far.
Old 06-30-07, 11:57 PM   #18
BPACA

yeah if people wanna have a few beers who cares...problems happen cause people do not know when to stop or how to control themselves.....personally I wouldn't want to be under the influence with a treble hook crankbait shaking in my hand with a fish.
Old 07-01-07, 09:34 AM   #19
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
3D in one of the weekly night tourney's i fish a lot of the guys drink.... however when we get back to the weigh in we do stand around and drink a few while we bs with everybody. i don't see what's wrong with this as long as nobody takes it too far.
I guess having your car or boat hit in the parking lot isn't a big deal. Also the marina that holds the tournament has "ABC Off" signs everywhere (means no drinking on the property) and the owner has asked guys not to drink in his parking lot. I've heard the announcements. Most tournaments have a no drug or alcohol policy due to the liability issues. Finally if you are launching on public property then your friends are probably breaking a law or two. But as long as nobody takes it too far.
Old 07-01-07, 10:16 PM   #20
BPACA

When I'm in a tournament its hard enough to do everything perfect sober...why would yah put yourself at a disadvantage...I've often wondered if having a drink before tournament blast off could help me settle a little? Kinda like the Red Sox vs Cards when they all drank jack daniels.
Old 07-01-07, 11:01 PM   #21
3dkicker

Alcohol = Depressant which slows your reaction time. Takes longer for your brain to process information. Don't see how that would help anyone in sports or fishing let alone driving a boat at night. To me it's just stupid before, during, or after a tournament.

Unless "after" means at Hooter's in Chester, VA across from the Day's Inn. You James River guys know what I'm talking about!
Old 07-01-07, 11:38 PM   #22
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl View Post
REB,
There was a guy on Kevins site about 7 or 8 years ago selling home made sleeves made out of denium to pay for repairs to his boat. They were about $3 or $4 apiece, so I ordered a dozen. Have never been sorry. About 3 years ago I needed about a dozen more (Inventory grew) but I could not remember his name and he was not posting on the site anymore. I pursuaded my wife to make me a dozen, using the original pattern. I am set for good now. I would not leave the dock without the sleeves on my rods, and will not put one in the locker without a sleeve on it. Pulling a rod from the locker is like drawing a Ka-bar from a well oiled sheath.

JackL
It sure is-wish I had done it long ago-would have saved me a lot of aggrivation.

Regarding the lights-if it is dark, they are on. the one exception is this electrics only lake flyrod and I fish. Before sunup we are usually the only ones at the ramp let alone the lake so we don't use them. We do use Flyrod's Nucle-eye and cap lights so we aren't invisible. Yesterday we were checked by a game warden in a kayak-second time that has happened , same guy-nice guy, BTW. Anyway, Flyrod asked him about the lights. He said while he couldn't tell us not to if he saw someone without lights he probably wouldn't ticket them. But that is just on this little electrics only lake.
Old 07-02-07, 05:26 PM   #23
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post

Unless "after" means at Hooter's in Chester, VA across from the Day's Inn. You James River guys know what I'm talking about!

been there i agree definatly need to hit there again soon..

zooker
Old 07-03-07, 10:20 AM   #24
leroy

Send a message via AIM to leroy

Here's My Rant:

Handicap Stalls. What the hell? Why do they make these awesome stalls with arm rest and expanded stall width for Handicaps. They should make all the stalls this same size. When I go in a regular stall I am crammed in the and cant even lean over to get a good echo from passing gas or dropping a submersible. Now at work I have moved to a new floor and on this floor is a Handicap man. So I cant in good conscience use the stall because I am afraid he is going to wheel in there and just sit outside the door and I'll have to limp out or something. So stop the discrimination and make all stalls the same!!!!
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 05:01 PM   #25
zooker

amen brother..

note to self need to add the arm rest in my own bathroom..getting up at 3 am sucks..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.